Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Subterreanean Versus Above Ground Tiles  (Read 679 times)

LightDarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On Subterreanean Versus Above Ground Tiles
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:38:11 am »

Just a question; while I realize this topic is heavily talked about, I've got a somewhat odd question.

I realize that it is impossible to render currently existing above ground tiles subterranean.
However, I'm curious about how Dwarf Fortress determines whether or not a tile is above ground or subterranean.

The answer to this question helps answer my actual question, i.e. the weird one.
Is it possible to create subterranean tiles?

I believe that the solution, if it exists, involves the creation of multiple z-level towers of obsidian to generate tiles marked *Inside, Dark, Subterranean*.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: On Subterreanean Versus Above Ground Tiles
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:52:55 am »

All tiles start out as "Subterranean" and "Dark". All tiles above the natural terrain become "Above Ground", and all tiles exposed to the sky become "Light" (it actually is possible to get Above Ground Dark tiles if you embark on a Goblin fortress in 0.31.12 and earlier). As you channel through floors that are already tagged as "Light" (and "Above Ground", the tiles beneath them will also be tagged as "Light" (and likewise become "Above Ground"). Constructed floors will not stop this from happening - light will still pass through them and cause tiles beneath them to become Light/Above Ground; however, cast obsidian will prevent this from happening if it hasn't happened already.

Once a tile becomes Light, it will remain Light forever.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:54:39 am »

I am in no way certain about this, but I believe that a tile is marked above ground if it had been exposed to the open sky at any point in time.

Darn, ninja'd.

LightDarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:13:30 pm »

I'm not sure I phrased my question clearly enough.

Basically, I'm not seeking to change the status of an existing solid tile.
I'm seeking to create a brand new tile of stone whose status is subterranean.

Hence I'm interesting in finding out how DF figures out whether or not a tile is above ground or subterranean.
Light/Dark, Inside/Outside; these things don't affect subterranean-ness I don't think.
At least not outside of the 4 possible configurations of these tags.

To put it bluntly, I'm interesting in using magma and water to CREATE Inside Dark Subterranean tiles of Obsidian that are actually at least one z-level off the ground. Is this possible?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:31:44 pm »

I'm seeking to create a brand new tile of stone whose status is subterranean.
From my experiences so far, I think this could be impossble, but I'll admit that I haven't tried that hard so far.

As I see it currently, Above Ground status is applied to the first floor level tile the sky finds, so when you channel a square down, it becomes Above Ground, and no matter what you put over that, I think it will remain above ground forever, because there was a point in which there where no natural floor tiles above it at one point.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:38:30 pm »

It's possible that if you cast your obsidian ceiling before your floor that when the floor is constructed, it will have never seen light, and will be designated as dark subterranean. That would require testing, but it's the only method I can think of that might do what you want.

Edit: It's also possible that the game records that X,Y,Z midair coordinate as having been sunlit at one time, regardless of whether there was a floor there or not.

Edit 2: Out of curiosity, why are you trying to create suspended Inside Dark tiles? Just to see if you can, or is this for some sort of arcology megaproject?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:41:15 pm by JarinArenos »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »

To put it bluntly, I'm interesting in using magma and water to CREATE Inside Dark Subterranean tiles of Obsidian that are actually at least one z-level off the ground. Is this possible?
No.  For one thing, you can't create tiles.  Map tiles are created when the game is started, and the map can't be made any larger once created.  You can fill an empty tile with obsidian, but the light/dark/aboveground/sub-terranean status will be unchanged by the process.

The only thing that matters is if a tile is or has been exposed to the sky.  Tiles which have never been exposed to the sky are dark, inside, subterranean.  Tiles which are currently exposed to the sky are light, outside, aboveground.  Tiles which are not currently exposed to the sky but were at some point in the past are light, inside, aboveground.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 05:59:57 pm »

The question is whether "empty space" several z-levels above ground counts as a "tile" for being predefined as above/below, I believe. It sounds from your response that the answer would be "yes"?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 06:05:41 pm »

The question is whether "empty space" several z-levels above ground counts as a "tile" for being predefined as above/below, I believe. It sounds from your response that the answer would be "yes"?
Yes.  Empty space tiles still have their light/dark/inside/outside status tracked just like any other tile.  An empty space tile several Z-levels above the ground is Light Outside Aboveground the moment the map is created, and will never be anything other than Light and Aboveground.  At best, you can make it Inside by building a roof over it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.