Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Help a Modder out!  (Read 2767 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help a Modder out!
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:40:58 am »

Series of questions before I run off to work.

1. How exactly do you add new "recipes" to the game? To make new... stuff I guess. I understand how to add new weapons/armors well enough since the wiki is kind of detailed on it.
2. If I wanted to add more metals to the game - without adding new rocks/ores/etc - what would I need to do to do this? I was thinking of adding in a new kind of crafted material that would combine with an existing metal to make something new. (i.e. New material + iron = new iron)
3. For my new player race I'm working on, I want to give them back wings, head wings, and a tail... how could I do that? And preferably without making blood flow through them for gameplay reasons of not having them bleed out.
4. If I make a workshop, or "recipe" use Alchemy, will the game actually let me? I know Alchemy is in Dwarf Therapist as a Labor we can turn on or off, but I'm not sure if the Labor actually works at all.

This is all I can remember right now. For the curious, I'm thinking of making a Koakuma Library mod thingy. Keep Dorfs in the game, but only for the caravan/starting civ for Koakumas. It doesn't make as much sense as a Suika mod, but that's a little mini-project I'm doing for fun.

And I love me some Koakumas.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help a Modder out!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »

3. For my new player race I'm working on, I want to give them back wings, head wings, and a tail... how could I do that? And preferably without making blood flow through them for gameplay reasons of not having them bleed out.

The body for that would look something like [BODY:HUMANOID:2WINGS:TAIL:2HEADWINGS:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
with a new 2HEADWINGS body part that'd look like this:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:2HEADWINGS]
    [BP:RHWING:right head wing:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][LIMB][RIGHT][FLIER][CATEGORY:WING]
        [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:50]
    [BP:LHWING:left head wing:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][LIMB][LEFT][FLIER][CATEGORY:WING]
        [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:50]
To have them not bleed, you just need to not have a defined [BLOOD:whatever] token, I think.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 03:14:16 pm »

For adding a new metal, you just have to add another metal in the inorganic files. You should be able to get the gist of this by having a gander at the existing metals.
If you want to make it an alloy (metal+metal=alloy) you need to have a reaction with those metals as reagents. Again, you should get the gist by browsing the raws. If not, the wiki should help.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 03:42:03 pm »

1)  See the Wiki page on reactions.

2)  Adding metals to inorganic_metal.txt is easy.  Copy bronze or steel, work from there.

3)  See:
CAVE_SWALLOW_MAN
BAT_MAN
Compare to Human body parts.  Work from there.

4)  Check out the Civilization Forge 2 mod

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:53:35 pm »

If I add [FLIER] to the parts, will they actually make the creature fly? I'm not sure how well that'd work for the player race...

5. How would I be able to keep the Dwarves in-game, without actually making them playable? Just remove the [PLAYABLE] token or whatever?
6. To add onto #5, if I keep Dwarves in-game and they are still set to active in Autumn, and say the new player race is in Winter, will they not arrive until the next year or what? I'm not sure how the home caravan works really.
7. Can you make an alloy involve a stone, or does it have to be pure metal+metal? Anyway to turn a stone INTO a metal?

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 06:08:38 pm »

Alloy is a science term that means a metal made from two different metals, I'm not sure if stone+metal is still technically defined as an alloy, but that is possible to do in Dwarf Fortress, just make a reaction with a stone and a metal as the reagents. As for making a stone into a metal, but this in the stone entry:

[METAL_ORE:(Whatever metal):100]

This allows it to be smelted into that metal (I think).

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 08:21:55 pm »

... I'm not sure if stone+metal is still technically defined as an alloy...

<Off Topic Rant>
FYI, in real life....
An alloy is a metal that is a combination of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal. (decent definition; certain standards bodies can get more specific, or vague)
Example: Chrome Silicon stainless alloy, where silicon is a non-metal.
Very cool stuff, btw.  Any spring you want to last, make it from that.

Sometimes, other amalgams are called alloys, such as the "plastic alloy" that the original Saturn car bodies were made of.  If memory serves, they were a Nylon-Kevlar alloy (not composite), which is interesting in itself since Kevlar is essentially just very very carefully made nylon, to ensure extra long molecule size.  Considering that "amalgam" in english refers to any material made from other mixed materials, but etymologically it means alloys containing mercury, I think it's reasonable to be liberal with "alloy".

Plastics are *beautiful!

* when not using unnecessary toxic carcinogens such as BPA, and are recyclable unlike horrible PVC, and are used in applications where they work best rather than where cheapest, and...
</Off Topic Rant>

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:28 pm »

If I add [FLIER] to the parts, will they actually make the creature fly? I'm not sure how well that'd work for the player race...
Flying creatures need to have [FLIER] in their creature definition to fly; [FLIER] on a bodypart means a creature with [FLIER] will lose the ability to fly if it suffers sufficient damage to its [FLIER] bodyparts (sufficient damage is ludicrously high, apparently birds with one wing can still fly).  Creatures with [FLIER] don't actually need any [FLIER] bodyparts.  There are some bugs with pathfinding for flying creatures with jobs, but anecdotally they seem to work alright.  Having a flying adventurer is ridiculously beneficial if you go spelunking; reduces instances of getting blocked by some fungiwood in a 1-tile path.
5. How would I be able to keep the Dwarves in-game, without actually making them playable? Just remove the [PLAYABLE] token or whatever?

Yeah, you take [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] out of the dwarves' entity definition.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:31 am »

Anyone know about the whole caravan thing at all? If I keep Dwarves as active in Autumn, even if they're not the controlled race, and set the player race to winter, will I get a caravan every season? (Assuming humans and elves of course)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 10:36:48 am »

Yes, you will.  Caravans always come in their specified seasons unless you pissed them off.  You can change what year they first arrive at your fort though using the triggers in the entity raws, though.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 06:32:19 pm »

What determines when a caravan arrives? Is it tied to when your home civ sends one or something? I've never seen anything like that in the wiki.

Also for the tail, I forgot to mention, what will it end up being made of anyway? I didn't mean like, say, a lizard tail or a lion tail...

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:56 pm »

To have them not bleed, you just need to not have a defined [BLOOD:whatever] token, I think.

That would make the entire creature bloodless, not just the wings. Heres what I posted to a very similar question recentelly:

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:MUSCLE:BY_CATEGORY:WING]
    [PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:WING]
      [TL_VASCULAR:0]

As for the tail it will be made of whatever else your creature is made of.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 06:52:09 pm »

That would make the entire creature bloodless, not just the wings. Heres what I posted to a very similar question recentelly:

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:MUSCLE:BY_CATEGORY:WING]
    [PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:WING]
      [TL_VASCULAR:0]

As for the tail it will be made of whatever else your creature is made of.

Well I just wanted the wings to be bloodless, since I remember in the Gardens of Gensokyo mod thread that the faeries seemed to die a lot - because their wings are unprotected, get shredded, and they die from horrible blood loss.

Ah yes I remember another question, Dwarves have the tokens if [RINGS] [SPIKES] etc. is there any listing of which tokens will work for the kind of things the race likes to make for decorations? Or is it just kind of type it in and hope?

EDIT:
How could I make some kind of "workshop" that would have a command to let you "use" it to level up skills? Libraries I guess.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:04:54 pm by krisslanza »

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »

You'd want a custom workshop with a reaction that does nothing, and the required skill set as whatever skill you'd like to train. Put this in the reaction_other file:
[REACTION:STUDY_ALCHEMY]
     [NAME:study alchemy]
     [BUILDING:LIBRARY:a] <- The "a" just determines what key you use to queue up the reaction ingame.
     [SKILL:ALCHEMY]
Then add this to building_custom (I just copied the soap maker's workshop):
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:LIBRARY]
[NAME:Library]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[DIM:3:3]
[WORK_LOCATION:2:2]
[BUILD_LABOR:SOAP_MAKER]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_S]
[BLOCK:1:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:2:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:3:0:0:0]
[TILE:0:1:' ':' ':150]
[TILE:0:2:' ':' ':'/']
[TILE:0:3:'-':' ':' ']
[COLOR:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:0:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:0:3:6:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:' ':' ':'=']
[TILE:1:2:'-':' ':8]
[TILE:1:3:' ':' ':150]
[COLOR:1:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:2:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:3:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:'-':' ':8]
[TILE:2:2:' ':' ':8]
[TILE:2:3:' ':150:' ']
[COLOR:2:1:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:3:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:3:1:150:' ':8]
[TILE:3:2:' ':' ':8]
[TILE:3:3:' ':240:' ']
[COLOR:3:1:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:7:0]
[COLOR:3:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:7:0]
[COLOR:3:3:0:0:0:7:0:1:0:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
Finally, add
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STUDY_ALCHEMY]
to whatever entities you want to use the reaction, in the entity_default file.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 04:30:01 pm »

I used these tags to set all the item improvement preferences.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The higher the number at the end, the more they use it (and pay for it, in 40d at least).
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: [1] 2 3