Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Yoink's Newbie Questions.  (Read 2686 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yoink's Newbie Questions.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:28 pm »

Aha, thanks, and what category do quivers fall under in uniforms?
Sorry for the double-posting, but if I edited it I don't think it'd show up in new posts.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 10:22:53 pm »

I want to know that one, too, actually. I've seen posts recommending to manually assign quivers, backpacks, and water skins to make sure they get equipped properly, but I can't find the category for any of those.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 06:29:10 am »

BUMP for answers!

Also, another question: How can I tell what materials a dwarf in a strange mood wants? Last time I didn't know how to check, well, half my fort died. Gonna try and avoid that in future, even if it was pretty cool! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 06:37:57 am »

Right here is a list of known demands: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mood#Demands

If they're in fell or macabre moods, then you're as much in the dark as anyone.

Also, any bodies left rotting long enough to disintegrate to pure skeleton can be used in bonecrafts. So if you designate a ditch for elf bodies and leave them there, you can eventually have elven bonecrafts.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 03:56:12 pm »

If your moody dwarf has claimed a workshop and is sitting in it, Q over the workshop and he should indicate his demands. From there, you'll have to figure out what you aren't providing enough of.

If he hasn't claimed a workshop, see what skills he has that might be causing the mood-- tanners will want a leatherworks, smiths will want a forge, and anybody without any particular skills will want a craft shop.

If he's claimed a workshop and is running around all over the place, then it means the supplies he wants are accessible and he's getting them.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08:29 pm »

Thanks guys!
Now I have a question about versions... In .16 I've noticed a few weird, possible bugs, especially in adventure mode, and I've read that the older versions are better. Would I be better off changing version?
Booze is Life for Yoink

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 10:17:11 pm »

Hm... Well, studying the items, I think it means this: The '*' means the item's a masterpiece, the '<<' means it's engraved with something, and there's another symbol that I'm less sure about, three horizontal lines above each other, and I -think- that means it's encircled with bands of material. I think the '+' just means it's decorated with material.
I'm not sure though, just what I'm guessing. :)
All decorations are treated the same, weather they are meanacing with spikes of kitten leather or encircled with bands of star sapphire. Only the quality (affected by the skill of the creating/decorating dwarf) is shown.

The -,=,+,*,triple bar, and bigger splat all refer to item quality when bracketing the item. The double ! means it is on fire, () means imported (matters for wealth measurements), <> means decorated, with quality symbols outside the <> showing quality of decoration (that is an init option show_imp_qual I think) {} means the item is forbidden: no dwarf will pick up a forbidden item, nor use a building made from a forbidden item.

I think that's all the item modifiers. I might have some of the brackets confused with each other.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 02:59:30 am »

Thanks guys!
Now I have a question about versions... In .16 I've noticed a few weird, possible bugs, especially in adventure mode, and I've read that the older versions are better. Would I be better off changing version?

Not necessarily. The game is still in alpha, so every version has its bugs and quirks. My roomie swears by 40d, but I prefer 31.xx because it being more current, I can find answers to my questions more conveniently.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 07:26:45 pm »

Thanks guys!
The last version with "working" adventure mode would be .12, but it may be better to just wait for .17 or .18, as those will likely "fix" adventure mode.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:47 pm »

Thanks guys! Yeah, .12 doesn't work for me, really bad FPS, but .17 is supposed to be coming out soon, isn't it?
Right, how do I equip a squad with quivers?
Booze is Life for Yoink

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:42 pm »

My own noob question, since I figured here was better than a new thread. How the hell do I turn on the FPS marker so I know what FPS the game is running at?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 12:21:03 am »

Right, how do I equip a squad with quivers?
Allocate ammunition types, and the ones equipped with ranged weapons will automatically take a quiver to carry them in. Sometimes they're a little slow to pickup their damn gear, but that's a potential problem with any piece of equipment.

My own noob question, since I figured here was better than a new thread. How the hell do I turn on the FPS marker so I know what FPS the game is running at?
The file init.txt in the init folder, the FPS setting. There's also a useful utility called DF_Init, probably found in the modding section.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

Hm, thanks... Do I have to mark them for combat/training? It still doesn't seem to work when I do that.

Also, what does this mean: Trader: With your trade goods such as they are, I can't fathom you ending up with all of those items.

Is he saying the cheap rubbish I'm throwing at him isn't valuable enough?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 07:47:59 pm »

Also, what does this mean: Trader: With your trade goods such as they are, I can't fathom you ending up with all of those items.

Is he saying the cheap rubbish I'm throwing at him isn't valuable enough?!

Correct, you're either buying too much from him so he's taking a loss or not making enough profit.  A 'cheesy' way of doing it would be to do smaller trades.  Buy a few items but give him a huge profit (he'll be ecstatic), go back to the game and run it for a second, then go back in and give him really slim profits on the next trade.

Normally, having one Craftsdwarf making items is enough to buy most everything you need.  If you're buying all of his expensive Iron/Steel items to remelt (no iron in your embark), then have your Craftsdwarf constantly make goods, stock up on bins and offload them for those types of items.

Your first Merchant is usually the hardest to buy out (because you're just starting so normally you have little to sell).  Then it's time to plan ahead at the very beginning and stock up before he gets there.  You do have a 1-month period to do trades, so you could keep making goods, haul to the depot and do more trades even for the first Merchant.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 01:08:38 am »

Thanks! I worked that bit out, eventually.
What does the 'CLT' tag on my butcher's shop mean? Does it have something to do with why my dwarves won't butcher the elephants they caught? (Yeah... I like elephants, but my dwarves have to eat! 'Sides, there are plenty of them :P )
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 [2] 3