Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I'm done playing Dwarf Fortress (for the moment)  (Read 6442 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: I'm done playing Dwarf Fortress (for the moment)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 05:10:34 am »

Yeah, it is a fairly crude pun, but you get used to it. To the people who complain: Man up. You're on the Internets, and thing a lot more offensive are there. Take Conservapedia for an example. I'm 14, and far to jaded by the internets to be PO'd about it. Get used to it.

Oh wow. I thought this page was a joke when I first read it. This is hilarious; I didn't honestly think anybody would be proud to call themselves Conservative.

Heres a funny read for anyone who ever studied aparthied: http://www.conservapedia.com/Apartheid
Full voting rights for blacks? Ahahhahaha. Anyway, I digress, before this gets off topic.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 03:45:51 pm »

You can't fix these by zeroing a drive.

Sometimes firmware error can result in a sector being marked bad when it is actually ok, and zeroing the whole drive (using the manufacturer's low-level-format utility) might help in this case, but this is unlikely, and would just happen again in any case.

Out of interest, what was the old drive?

It was a Western Digital 500 GB Green Power Internal Desktop Hard Drive. The new one I got is the exact same, but it's 1 TB.

And yes, you can have a field day making fun of the stupid shit on Conservapedia (being a liberal, I facepalm at the dumb crap on that page.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 04:00:39 pm »

Was playing DF, had power outage, thanks Toady

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 04:30:41 pm »

I've played DF, and now I've had to replace my mouse because the left button on the old one kept registering multiple clicks to every press. Clearly DF caused it.

Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »

I booted up DF, looked up, and there was this big spider in the corner of my room.

Damn you, toady.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 05:35:53 pm »

--
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:41:22 am by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 06:40:45 pm »

If your PC is failing under high load, this is PC issue rather than DF.
Just deleting DF and ignoring the true cause is kind of dumb, it will fail again independent of DF presence.

^ This

I should note i'm a certified, 10-year computer repair veteran.  DF can't cause your HDD to dissapear.  Corrupt MFT/MBR and failing hardware, however, can!

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 06:46:16 pm »

It was a Western Digital 500 GB Green Power Internal Desktop Hard Drive. The new one I got is the exact same, but it's 1 TB.

wasnt that a caviar blue in the link? anyway, caviar green isnt meant for anything more than plain storage, like external drives and stuff i think. i have a caviar green 1tb (which i bought before checking online to see the hell people go through with these drives - i was lucky, no problems yet) and i have it in an external case. i just plug it in, backup and shut it off. my dad gave me a caviar blue 1tb he wasnt using for storage - i put that in a case as well. but i'm crossing my fingers. thing is, if you look at forums and people's experience with drives from major manufacturers, like WD, Seagate and Hitachi, you'll find out lots of people have had a drive fail from one of these, sometimes one of each and often two drives in a row (like one bought and its replacement) even in models that are supposed to be reliable and stuff. in other words, i'm not surprised it failed and i wouldnt say its your fault either - its classic shitty reliability that these corporations seem to be just fine with, regardless of the fact that many people are doing raid-2 and raid-5 on these, just because they dont trust drives anymore.

edit - btw, just a note but that drive in the link... overpriced IMO. that should be the cost of the 1tb not 500gb fucking thieves... and it says, "works with windows vista"... thanks best buy, so useful since people either run xp cause vista sucks, or 7 cause vista sucks scrotum cheese or something non-windows cause they cant stand windows anymore...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:51:17 pm by plynxis »
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »

Actually, the one I got at the store was $80.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 03:13:36 am »

Hard drives have a notoriously high failure rate, due partially to poor packaging. HANDLE WITH CARE! And make sure the retailer does the same.

I was playing the first Slaves to Armok and someone flew an airplane into the building. Dammit Toady!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:59:49 am by Eugenitor »

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 06:50:34 am »

i think i read somewhere that best buy sucks at packaging... dick retailers.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 10:27:37 pm »

(Too lazy to read the entire thread...)
This is blasphemy!!! You will be moved to the town of Trpaslíka úkryt! They will SEAL the iron doors of Starověké Poručník, leaving you without escape of the Tmavý Trpaslíci! (Use google translate(some words may need breaking up for the correct translation))

edit: Nevím nic o vašich druhů, kde jsou, podívejte se do Všemohoucího Genitální. (jméno přinášel na Trpaslíci z Trpaslíka úkryt, protože oni disliked Všemohoucí Genitální)  (again it is not in english (obviously) so use google translator... or google chrome ;D)

hint: it's in Czech
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:40:58 pm by magistrate101 »

Bromosapian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 10:58:09 pm »

[...] what forum you're on, right? I doubt most of the people on this forum are offended by something so tame.

What was it?  he seems to have changed it now.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 12:49:36 am »

What was it?  he seems to have changed it now.

An illustration of a little girl with a ball-gag in her mouth on her hands and knees, if I recall right.  Not really offensive, just the sort of thing that isn't appropriate for anything.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 06:55:23 am »

what?! that was it?

why dont you ban him while you're at it? next we'll be getting reports for cussing.

jesus, most kids strolling around on the internet have already seen way more "offensive" stuff, trust me. a decade ago when i was a kid i had seen that kind of stuff, back when the internet was way more tame than it is today

so typical. game where people die gruesome deaths? OK! a picture of a girl hinting at *GASP* something sexual?! NOOOOOO!! i guess you guys believe that kids should first learn about death and how horribly and pointlessly people can die and THEN learn about sex. yeah, thats so natural!

in fact i'm disappointed. i was expecting it to be actually "offensive" as you guys put it. i should have taken a hint when noone was even mentioning what it was...

(Too lazy to read the entire thread...)
This is blasphemy!!! You will be moved to the town of Trpaslíka úkryt! They will SEAL the iron doors of Starověké Poručník, leaving you without escape of the Tmavý Trpaslíci! (Use google translate(some words may need breaking up for the correct translation))

edit: Nevím nic o vašich druhů, kde jsou, podívejte se do Všemohoucího Genitální. (jméno přinášel na Trpaslíci z Trpaslíka úkryt, protože oni disliked Všemohoucí Genitální)

lol. i am honestly curious though - can those words actually be used that way in czech? i mean, in this context, without sounding bad. cause in my native language (greek) its really hard to use that wording and not sound super corny.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:08:09 am by plynxis »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4