Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I'm done playing Dwarf Fortress (for the moment)  (Read 6450 times)

Dral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm done playing Dwarf Fortress (for the moment)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »

Sorry to be a pain OP, but have you considered that maybe your avatar image is not so appropriate for this forum?
It's really a mixture of the image and the text underneath it that makes it offensive.

Perhaps a change of spelling would improve things: Lollygagging

When the initial crash happened (In the game), I decided to make a new region, but when I tried to load up the region (after it was created), the application crashed. So I remade the world and deleted the old one. THat one crashed, too.

Then everything went to hell from there.

When I got back online, I deleted the DF folder, but the region 1 file won't delete entirely. There is a 0x80070091 error that pops up when I try to. I'm also doing spyware scans and a chkdsk scan, and nothing malicious is coming up. And now that I deleted the DF folder and restarted the computer, everything is working normally again. It's just that one folder that I can't delete now.

A quick google for that error number turns up many results, such as Deleting a corrupt folder (error code 0x80070091).
Even if you still decide not to play DF again, I still recommend trying to isolate whatever caused the problem and cleaning up after it.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 04:39:22 pm »

I'm aware of the pun, just not entirely sure if it's in good taste.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »

Yeah, it is a fairly crude pun, but you get used to it. To the people who complain: Man up. You're on the Internets, and thing a lot more offensive are there. Take Conservapedia for an example. I'm 14, and far to jaded by the internets to be PO'd about it. Get used to it.

On-topic: OP, either quit trolling, (because what other motive could you have for posting this, rather than just getting rid of DF, or E-Mailing Toady about it?) or if you're serious, try defragging your disk, and if the DF file pops up unmovable, restart, redefrag, and if it is still unmovable, then you need to take it into a repair shop, because that is some serious shit going wrong with your comp, not just DF.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 06:29:43 pm »

First off, if Toady or Toe have an issue with my avatar or quote (which are based on things I like to write about), I will change them, but that is not what this topic is about.

Secondly, Breadbocks, the fact that you would insinuate that I am trolling is appalling, and you should be ashamed of yourself. I love Dwarf Fortress. It's addicting as hell. However, I got struck by a bad glitch that incapacitated my computer for half of yesterday, and after I deleted the DF folder, which I know had a corrupted file in it, the computer stopped freaking out. I don't know what the problem was, and I'm not blaming DF or Toady for it. I'm right now just glad my computer is fine again, and I'm not going to go back into DF for a while.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:30 pm »

Was dwRF FORTRESS ON THE  drive the disconnected?

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:45 pm »

Yeah, it is a fairly crude pun, but you get used to it. To the people who complain: Man up. You're on the Internets, and thing a lot more offensive are there. Take Conservapedia for an example. I'm 14, and far to jaded by the internets to be PO'd about it. Get used to it.

Oh god! That's even worse than linking to TV Tropes!!!
I will have nightmares, man!

And to be on topic, I think that it sounds like the DF crash was caused by the hard drive disconnect error, not the other way around.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 09:21:16 pm »

Yes, but it was crashing before the disconnection. After I deleted the folder, it stopped.
Quest Complete! 41/31

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 09:34:17 pm »

DF is rather small; if you are concerned about having this happen again, perhaps playing of of a jump drive would be an acceptable alternative.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 03:41:41 am »

Yes, but it was crashing before the disconnection. After I deleted the folder, it stopped.
I suspect an error in the drive caused it to corrupt data, then Windows disconnected it once it got too bad. IMHO, you only deleted the symptom, not the cause.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 10:47:38 am »

DF should not crash. Its actually a remarkably stable game, save from trying to create a 16x16 embark, in which case your computer will scream and protect itself from melting down by crashing the game.  :P

If you get blue screen stop errors or a drive vanishes from your system, its not the game's fault. You have other problems with your computer.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 11:32:51 am »

Gotta agree with everyone else.  DF is very doubtfully the cause.  More likely is a bad sector or error on the disk.  Removing DF just stopped access to that area UNTIL you put something else there.  Healed the symptom not the disease....

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 07:09:22 pm »

I downloaded a disgnostics program from the manufacturer, and it failed because of "too many bad sectors" on the hard drive. I can still access it, but the level of success is sketchy sometimes. Other times, it will load forever until the drive disconnects.

Right now, I have access to it again, and I backed up all my important irreplaceable files onto my C: drive and USB. I'm be heading to Best Buy later and buying a new hard drive (this one). Afterwards, I will move the files I know are safe to the new drive along with the important documents, and then write zeroes into the old drive and see what happens. Hopefully the sectors get fixed THEN.
Quest Complete! 41/31

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 08:03:18 pm »

I think you owes Df a "Im sorry"...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »

I downloaded a disgnostics program from the manufacturer, and it failed because of "too many bad sectors" on the hard drive. I can still access it, but the level of success is sketchy sometimes. Other times, it will load forever until the drive disconnects.

Right now, I have access to it again, and I backed up all my important irreplaceable files onto my C: drive and USB. I'm be heading to Best Buy later and buying a new hard drive (this one). Afterwards, I will move the files I know are safe to the new drive along with the important documents, and then write zeroes into the old drive and see what happens. Hopefully the sectors get fixed THEN.

...you might just have a very slightly damaged hard drive.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 04:23:01 am »

Large numbers of bad sectors mean either:
The material the disc platter is made of is decaying and can no longer hold a magnetic charge in some areas (this is the usual cause of small numbers of bad sectors, but is unlikely to kill a drive)
The read/write head has crashed at some point and there is now a permanent scratch in the disc (likely for portable discs or around excessive vibration)
Some dirt has got into the disc and scratched it, similar results to a head crash (unlikely)
The disc controller circuitry is decaying and causing bad data to be read/written, or is having problems aligning the head to the data (very likely)

You can't fix these by zeroing a drive.

Sometimes firmware error can result in a sector being marked bad when it is actually ok, and zeroing the whole drive (using the manufacturer's low-level-format utility) might help in this case, but this is unlikely, and would just happen again in any case.

Out of interest, what was the old drive?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4