Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I'm done playing Dwarf Fortress (for the moment)  (Read 6457 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
I'm done playing Dwarf Fortress (for the moment)
« on: November 01, 2010, 11:58:18 pm »

I know, it's blasphemy, right?

Well, an issue happened earlier today where Dwarf Fortress crashed and something in the folder caused my entire computer to go haywire and completely disconnect my E drive (where everything important to me lies). I was unable to get my computer back to normal working order for nearly 9 hours today (I just got back online), and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack because I thought my hard drive was dying. Now that I deleted the folder, everything is back in working order (coincidence?), but I don't think I want to revisit Dwarf Fortress and risk this again. Not until I have a backup of all my important documents safely tucked away in a brand new external hard drive.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Monsterfurby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm done playing Dwarf Fortress (for the moment)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:09:21 am »

I can understand that you are now somewhat phobic of starting DF up again. What OS are you on? This might be one of the rare occasions where starting it up in non-administrator mode (Win XP/Vista/7) or on a virtual machine (any OS, try using D-Fend/DOSBox; also works for windows games without any performance loss or much additional hassle) might actually be useful. Even though I doubt that DF alone could have caused this, that might put your mind at ease.

Erzrzore gur Vapvqrag.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:39:37 am »

Are you 100% sure that DF is the cause of this? DF could have crashed because the hard drive disconnected (you have it on E right?) I played DF for two years and never had anything like this happen.
A virus perhaps?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:53:58 am »

Sorry to be a pain OP, but have you considered that maybe your avatar image is not so appropriate for this forum?
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:51:51 am »

If your PC is failing under high load, this is PC issue rather than DF.
Just deleting DF and ignoring the true cause is kind of dumb, it will fail again independent of DF presence.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:15:19 am »

Are you 100% sure that DF is the cause of this? DF could have crashed because the hard drive disconnected (you have it on E right?)
This, I'm afraid.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:02:41 am »

Sorry to be a pain OP, but have you considered that maybe your avatar image is not so appropriate for this forum?
It's really a mixture of the image and the text underneath it that makes it offensive.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:08:10 am »

If you're really worried about DF eating your PC, just run it in a VM.

VirtualBox is a great, free VM that I use all the time.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:22:45 am »

When the initial crash happened (In the game), I decided to make a new region, but when I tried to load up the region (after it was created), the application crashed. So I remade the world and deleted the old one. THat one crashed, too.

Then everything went to hell from there.

When I got back online, I deleted the DF folder, but the region 1 file won't delete entirely. There is a 0x80070091 error that pops up when I try to. I'm also doing spyware scans and a chkdsk scan, and nothing malicious is coming up. And now that I deleted the DF folder and restarted the computer, everything is working normally again. It's just that one folder that I can't delete now.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:50:32 am »

You- you remember what forum you're on, right? I doubt most of the people on this forum are offended by something so tame.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 11:58:53 am »

I play DF for four years and never nothing even remotely close happened to me. I think I never even needed to restart my system because a DF crash.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 12:05:03 pm »

When the initial crash happened (In the game), I decided to make a new region, but when I tried to load up the region (after it was created), the application crashed. So I remade the world and deleted the old one. THat one crashed, too.

Then everything went to hell from there.

When I got back online, I deleted the DF folder, but the region 1 file won't delete entirely. There is a 0x80070091 error that pops up when I try to. I'm also doing spyware scans and a chkdsk scan, and nothing malicious is coming up. And now that I deleted the DF folder and restarted the computer, everything is working normally again. It's just that one folder that I can't delete now.

I don't know about you but that sounds like a case of a corrupted file somewhere on your system. The only time I've seen Windows (of any version) have a GUI pop up error pointing to a memory address (presumably for debugging) while doing file operations is when dealing with files that have become corrupted in some way.

I don't really blame you for blaming DF. If things explode in your face it's easier to say what seems more logical than "LOL I DUNNO". Considering you said you ran CHKDSK it might not be corrupted files after all, though.

Also you guys, the image/text is a little offensive but it's nothing any respectable adult (which we all are here, right? ..right?) should get their undergarments in a bunch about.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 01:58:05 pm »

Not all of us are adults, though, pretty sure we have at least a few users below or around 15 years old. *shrugs*

Anyway, I don't think DF caused your problem, I've played nearly all versions in the last two years and none have caused me any sort of trouble like this. Since you ran CHKDSK and found no corrupt files, I dare say it could be something in your E drive, possibly a virus.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 02:27:58 pm »

I think my sig says it all.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 02:38:56 pm »

Not all of us are adults, though, pretty sure we have at least a few users below or around 15 years old. *shrugs*
I'm 14.
I'm gonna stop being off-topic here, and unfortunately have no technical knowledge whatsoever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4