Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Silly/Crazy/Funny Laws and/Or Warnings thread  (Read 8125 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Silly/Crazy/Funny Laws thread
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2010, 07:48:44 am »

Here in Alabama, it is illegal to sit on a garbage can. Also, putting salt on a railroad results in capital punishment.

This is a relic from Reconstruction. Alabamans stopped putting bombs on railroads pretty quick, but they still tried many ways to sabotage the Federal government if they thought they could get away with it. Salt speeds up corrosion.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2010, 09:30:07 pm »

Why did I wait so long to read this topic?

Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses. (WOOT!)

Can...

Can you sue if it rains?

*shrug* About as much as you can sue mother nature.
This is a law to prevent buildings from obstructing sunlight on homes. I've read about a case in Germany(which presumably has a similar provision) where a woman filed a lawsuit to stop construction of a building that would have put her home in shadow for most of the day(and won).

"For external use only"
Let me guess, intoxicating cement?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Silly/Crazy/Funny Laws and/Or Warnings thread
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2010, 09:52:25 pm »

Actually if you look at historic New York and Chicago skylines you see that New York has building codes requiring a building taper to a point based on its footprint while Chicago has none, hence the elegant staggered needles of New York against the monolithic rectangles of Chicago.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2010, 12:13:16 am »

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine. (Need I say anything? lol)

Totally worth it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:54 am »

Actually if you look at historic New York and Chicago skylines you see that New York has building codes requiring a building taper to a point based on its footprint while Chicago has none, hence the elegant staggered needles of New York against the monolithic rectangles of Chicago.
Looks like my CIV V world doesn't have such limitations. The sheer mass of the buildings and the urban (not suburban) sprawl taking over most of the first ring of the municipal limit shows how we don't care at all about sunlight. The only place you're going to get any vitamin D outside is to visit one of the worlds wonders (Granted Paris has every single one except Machu Picchu)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2010, 12:52:43 pm »

Yeah, people in my area actually fought a new block of flats partially on those grounds (and won).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2010, 12:58:44 pm »

I'm sure somebody already mentioned that in Texas, it's illegal to carry concealed wire-cutters.  Anywhere.  And we have concealed handgun permits, so according to Texas law, wire-cutters are marginally more dangerous than pistols.  Which makes perfect sense, in context.

It's also illegal to defame or disrepute beef.  Like, specifically beef.  I can't think of any others though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2010, 01:06:59 pm »

I can sortof see the idea behind wire-cutters... but is it only concealed?  I mean, if you carried a pair of wire-cutters in your hand, would that be ok?

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2010, 01:11:38 pm »

Best guess is that it has to do with cattlemen, revenge, and fences.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2010, 03:12:48 pm »

If there's one thing I learned from reading Major H. von Dach's book Total Resistance, it is that a remarkable amount of modern infrastructure can be destroyed in about two minutes using only sand, a crescent wrench, wirecutters, and a knife. So I'm not at all surprised salting railroads was practiced by southerners, but am surprised nobody spiked railroad switches.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2010, 03:22:16 pm »

Well, here in Michigan we have a law forbidding the chaining of an alligator to a fire hydrant.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2010, 03:30:01 pm »

Well would YOU like to try and put out a fire using a hydrant with an alligator tied to it?
*Hugs*

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2010, 03:32:49 pm »

here in the Netherlands, we used to have a law where a successful suicide was punishable with 10 years of suspended jail sentence. That means, you have to kill yourself, rise as a zombie and stagger off a cliff or similar and THEN they put you in jail. I think we still have that one as a loophole to sentence attempts to an asylum.

Another one I can't verify but appears in several books here is that we apparently passed a bill that would ban the firing of artillery directly across church grounds located on the later half of the trajectory if the gunner was not enlisted in the dutch army.

I can understand the concept of "don't shoot the place where we hide or civvies", the ridiculously specific circumstances and the fact that cannon operators are except from it kind of makes it pointless.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »

Hmm... maybe the logic would be that people would seek shelter in the church?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2010, 03:53:50 pm »

Well would YOU like to try and put out a fire using a hydrant with an alligator tied to it?
Have you ever been to Michigan?

Hint: All our alligators are in the zoo.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10