Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: What after-life would you prefer?  (Read 6462 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What after-life would you prefer?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 11:25:31 pm »

I'd like to have an afterlife in my dreamscape, where everything is beautiful and strange and I can see my favorite people whenever I want.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 12:23:24 am »

I want a computer that upgrades itself every 2-3 months for eternity.  This computer is in a secluded home on a mountain in the middle of a vast, thriving mountainous/wooded landscape populated by an infinite variety of fantastic creatures of all kinds, including both friendly and dangerous.  I want to never see another person in this place unless I invite them, but I have a teleportation device in my home that will take me to a bustling city whenever I want.

I think I could live a very fulfilling life as such for a very very long time.  Maybe not eternity, but as close to it as I can imagine.

As it is, I need at least a hundred lifetimes to do all the things I want to do in this life.  I don't understand people who get bored.  I don't get bored.  The closest I get is frustrated when I'm forced to do things that don't interest me. (Edit: which coincidentally seems to be most of the time)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:31:12 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 08:32:27 am »

Did you forget the internet?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 09:48:32 am »

An eternity of larping, except with the ability to use magic/divinity to change species, setting, etc.

Reincarnation myths are basically a response to fears of boredom and judgement/rewards are basically a response to existential angst.  Larping responds to both concerns any better.

Anybody else want to start a bay12 underground fortress and live as dwarves when we make it to the great LARP in the sky?  That would be cool for a while.  After that I'm planning to LARP a scot-korean teenager living on an O'Neil sphere in a futuristic world where giant mecha are common place.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:50:38 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 11:26:51 am »

The problem is that having total control over the world you are in is ultimately unsatisfying. Certainly, a few years, decades, even possibly centuries, maybe. But unless there are things outside your direct control for you to strive for, eventually anyone would become, to put it simply, :-\.

This is the attraction of reincarnation. Each time, one learns about the universe anew. One is given a chance to redefine oneself endlessly. The real universe, and everything we do, has an essential meaning to it. If you save the entire surface of the O'Niel sphere from the replicarnes, it has no real meaning. Even less meaning than LARPing the same thing, because any skills you refine, friendships you make, and so on, are all effectively imaginiary.

In contrast, reincarnating means that good you do in this life makes the world a better place, and in the next you can take part in that new good world.

Anyway, the world is such a strange place, and there is so much life in it, that reincarnation will take you to stranger places than one is likely to imagine in a very long time... from being an anthill to a antelope, an oak or a otter, or an underground fungal net or a tube worm or a cloud of plankton.

Who knows? Life is a complicated, hard-to-define thing. Perhaps one could become a trading algorithm or a meme. Probably not. Such things may be too simple to be "life", but possibly, they aren't.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 01:41:05 pm »

Well, it would be interesting if your consciousness could attach itself to something else in a kind of pseudo-reincarnation.  No, you are not in control of the essence of Lolcat, but that doesn't mean you can't experience consciousness as that.  That would be pretty weird.  But sure, I'd probably do that for kicks at least once.  What a weird afterlife...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 03:27:01 pm »

Christian heaven. I mean, I could manage Muslim heaven, but seventy two virgins? We'd always be cycling the thirteen extras in and out of our 60-man raids.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 04:02:14 pm »

I have a real hard time calling something a computer that doesn't have internet.  It becomes an over-sized gadget of little use.  Yes, internet would be a requirement in my afterlife.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 04:12:40 pm »

I have a real hard time calling something a computer that doesn't have internet.  It becomes an over-sized gadget of little use.  Yes, internet would be a requirement in my afterlife.
Think of it like the monkey's paw or some genie.  You the need fine print to not be so fine.

Christian heaven. I mean, I could manage Muslim heaven, but seventy two virgins? We'd always be cycling the thirteen extras in and out of our 60-man raids.
Well, you can't all be up to doing that raid at the same time can ya?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:28 pm »

In muslim heaven, the instance size is 73 of course!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 11:49:47 pm »

It may be fine with six or seven virgins, but then you'd have to teach them all how to have sex. You know how horrible sex with beginners is.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:27 am »

It may be fine with six or seven virgins, but then you'd have to teach them all how to have sex. You know how horrible sex with beginners is.
You got the time.  Eternity for that matter.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 12:19:11 pm »

The one where I'm pulled into a new body in a higher dimension that has been simulating our own, where everything is ridiculous and confusing and hard to deal with because it's so real man. First thing I would do is go to meet Descartes and see how he's dealing with it all.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 02:33:04 pm »

The one that my lifetime was a tutorial stage for.  Or the free demo for; either way.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »

I'm hoping Quantum Immortality is a real thing, and then after I go from old age I hope I get another chance to continue to see the world.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6