Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What after-life would you prefer?  (Read 6444 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What after-life would you prefer?
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2010, 01:43:08 am »

I don't quite understand this:
If it already hasn't been said, learning and feeling good are physical actions. If you can bend everything for your ideal place, why not prevent saturation?

I think he means make yourself so that each experience, no mater how many time you have had it, is new and exciting.
Yes, you explained it better than I did. Could this be achieved by not having memory?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2010, 01:45:23 am »

Ah. I suppose it would, but the cumulative effects of discovering everything is more exiting an idea for me. Maybe once I've got that far, I'd start over.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2010, 01:55:17 am »

Yes, you explained it better than I did. Could this be achieved by not having memory?

I've always had trouble with this idea.  If you become a new person with no recollection of previous experiences, then how is it actually *you*?  How can it be considered a reincarnation or afterlife if you disappear in the process?  I suppose there is some continuity if you assume something like a soul with static qualities and awareness of all these cumulative lives/experiences, but I'm not sure what good that really is?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2010, 02:09:34 am »

@SalmonGod
It's getting late, so my phrasing won't be too great.

Isn't the entity known as 'you' merely a sequence of millions of fragments of seconds strung together? The past doesn't exist, and the future doesn't exist, the only part of you that exists is the split second you experience. Once that's gone, it's gone, and you are already in the next split second, reacting to whatever stimulus is directly affecting you.

A horrible example for this would be the sentence 'What is going on?' Instead of being there to experience every part of mentally processing and saying it, you exist only to say 'what', then you exist only to add 'is' to the sentence, and so on. The entity that said 'what is going on?' would be countless snapshots of a conscious stacked like a slideshow.

Someone else, try to understand what I'm saying and phrase it better. I've only had time to think about it while stacking boxes at work.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2010, 06:32:22 am »

But this is what memory is for, right?  To string together those moments that make up the stream of time, give them relative meaning by allowing you to compare and contrast those experiences, and finally to step back and look at the whole as something cohesive -- in other words, an identity?

To use your example, imagine each word in that sentence is a separate life.  These lives add up to a greater whole, but you're denied awareness of it.  You only know 'What' and then 'is' and so on, forgetting each as you move on to the next.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2010, 06:42:44 am »

My grandfather died like 3 hours ago.

I'd like to consider myself a man of science and logic, but right now, I hope there is something worth waiting for waiting for him.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2010, 07:25:00 am »

I think I'd like reincarnation. I don't care about being an animal, but being a human over and over again seems fun.

That or spending eternity learning everything, and doing the stuff I like. It'll never be boring :)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2010, 10:33:08 am »

I'm skeptical regarding afterlife and religion.
Yet, being skeptical does not mean that I believe afterlife to be impossible. While I find basic logic often proves at least certain parts of religions to be incorrect, that does not have to be true in all cases.

I simply like believing that for everybody the afterlife that they believe in will be theirs.

I, personally, would rather either be immortal or turn into some sort of Ghost to continue observing (manipulating?) the world.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Zyzarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2010, 08:55:05 pm »

Zeus shines down upon me everyday, So I guess I'll spend my days in Elysium, Chillin' with Hades.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2010, 11:36:07 pm »

Hopefully ascension to godhood. Not omnipotence by any means, just the ability to create things that normal humans cannot.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]