Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What after-life would you prefer?  (Read 6455 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: What after-life would you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 06:23:32 pm »

Honestly, I don't think that there will be an afterlife. Or if there is, it'll be about as memorable as the beforelife.

If I had to pick though, definitely Valhalla. Plenty of challenges, still a punishment for failing.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:29 pm »

I'm not asking what after-life you think is the correct one, because I honestly don't care what is correct, just what you would wish to spend eternity doing.
I wish that the Norse had it right, battling all day and feasting all night while waiting for Ragnarok.

Assuming this is a huge crossover world with everyone elses, I'd like my section to be a couch with a big red button label 'Sober'. On the nearby TV stand there will be a remote control with buttons labeled 'LSD', 'Cannabis', 'Beer' 'Massage' (for the couch), and 'Summon Party'.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 12:21:56 am »

Like the Matrix but everybody is Neo and nobody can die.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 09:22:50 am »

I like the Islamic afterlife. That is the basic one, not the one in some of the sects where everyone gets a skyscraper palace and millions of virgins.

Massive gardens and valleys, nice clothes, hot horny angels, abundant meat, fruit, and feasts, rivers of milk, honey, wine, and friends to hang out with. Apparently heaven goers are allowed to go and visit hell too, so if I wanted a battle with someone, I could just go down there and pick a fight.

Heck, the concept of being able to eat as much good food as I want without getting fat sounds like heaven to me.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 10:56:17 am »

Valhalla. The freedom to feast, relax, and test myself in combat against friends.
It doesn't surprise me that most of Bay 12 wants to go to the place where you fight and feast. Including me. :P
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 11:07:38 am »

Honestly, I don't think that there will be an afterlife.

I doubt many people on the forums, or most people inclined to use forums in general, are the type of people to believe in an afterlife. That said, if I had to choose one as the topic asks, I'd go with my earlier answer.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 11:12:29 am »

There aren't that many states of existence which would be bearable for a whole eternity, I always thought.

Maybe being one with everything, complete loss of ego and self perception and stuff, but then again, could you call "being the universe" an "afterlife"?

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 11:36:42 am »

Well, my ideal afterlife would require the loss of all human features that could cause boredom or anything to make the afterlife anything but perfect for eternity. This is because as long as it goes on for eternity we will eventually get bored of it and want to go to the after-afterlife. With this removal of all the human needs and such heaven would essentially just an endless state of pure bliss, just all the good feelings that could possibly exist put together without anything else to make it impure.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 11:59:40 am »

Honestly, I don't think that there will be an afterlife.

I doubt many people on the forums, or most people inclined to use forums in general, are the type of people to believe in an afterlife. That said, if I had to choose one as the topic asks, I'd go with my earlier answer.
I think someone already linked to the fun theory section of Less Wrong. The concept initially sounds great, but only compared to your current condition, hence their example of heaven being eternal rest sounding great to a peasant.

Hey Armok, if you didn't already, go binge all of Less Wrong. I will make you...
More Correct! (See what I did there?)
They have some good information on the 'big questions' without being too self-righteous about the whole deal.

While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 02:23:40 pm »

I'm fond of the way I've sometimes heard the Mormon afterlife (possibly inaccurately) described:  God wants fellow creators, and now you're one too.

I'm also fond of one I saw in a short story:  God can save the brainwave patterns of people who die, and chooses to save scientists from across the universe.  "I don't know why I exist, all I know is that I can't die.  Now you have all eternity to figure out the entirety of science.  Your job is to find a way to kill me."

I'd probably pick enlightenment + sticking around to help others find Nirvana.  But enlightenment or not, I'd say that reincarnation is the way to go.  Knowledge of past lives is a big plus, but just knowing you've had them is enough.  I figure it'll be an awful lot of lifetimes before I decide to move on to the other side, and if I had to choose between either some heaven forever, or reincarnation forever--I'd choose reincarnation.  With a nice long nap in nothingness between lives; it's so peaceful there.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 02:28:52 pm »

none. as in my definition of life, there could be no afterlife - at least nothing to be perceived by me.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 02:48:41 pm »

none. as in my definition of life, there could be no afterlife - at least nothing to be perceived by me.

I'm not asking what after-life you think is the correct one, because I honestly don't care what is correct, just what you would wish to spend eternity doing.

Play along, Stummel!  I'm curious.  What WOULD you prefer if your definition turned out to be a little incomplete?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »

so you want to ask, what kind of feeling i could think of to be never ending and still not frightening nor harming and so on?

i only can compare afterlife with life, so i'll have to live it like my life. therefore i need a lot of different things. other 'afterliving' individuals, some intelectual/ emotional input - as well as output. maybe, i am the wrong one to be asked such a question?

i don't know, what could keep me happy / content forever - i'm happy, to have to die some day. but as an answer: playing football all day, writing code, sleeping with my love, eating good stuff. but again - in maybe 500 years of afterlife this may get boring or even worse - sad.

i'm sorry, i'll have to go - but i'll keep track on your answer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:42:30 pm by stummel »

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 06:49:36 pm »

I would think that if we arrived at some 'good' afterlife (heaven rather than hell etc.) we would not ever get bored, sad, tired, hurt or angry like we do as human people on Earth, we wouldn't have any of our human shortcomings...maybe we wouldn't have any emotions at all, we would be entirely different beings. The lyrics to the Talking Heads song come to mind..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 07:19:20 pm »

I think reincarnation into random animals sounds pretty good. So this life you're a human, next you're a rat, then a grasshopper, then a squid, then a rhino, then a tardigrade... ...and maybe a couple hundred down the line you're a human again.

And maybe you retain your memories, but only for a few cycles, so you're a goldfinch that remembers being a human, but by the time you're a human again you have no memory of the last time because it was long replaced by bee-memories and scallop-memories. And bees and scallops are too unthinking to have much in the way of lasting memories.

You don't have to worry about any sort of single eternal life (which would suck) because you're always getting new lives, and you'd be able to experience existing from hundreds of wildly different perspectives so it'd never get boring.

I think this is absolutely not what happens when you die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6