Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Between two generic canidates, who would you vote for?

Democratic Canidate
- 55 (85.9%)
Republican Canidate
- 9 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: A Generic Poll  (Read 5887 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Generic Poll
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:23 pm »

I'm Canadian, is the American Democratic Party closer to the the Canadian Conservative Party, or the Liberal Party?

American Democratics are basicly Conservative-Liberals Where as Republicans are Liberal-Conservatives.

Or the other way around.

Some people that are not from the US (Or maybe even some that are) are going to think I am making a joke.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 11:07:20 pm »

In general, the republicans are left wing and democrats are right wing. I think, I always get confused with the right wing/left wing terminology since the media uses them so ambigously.

You've got those backwards.  Left wing is closer to bleeding heart hippies.  Right wing is closer to Jesusland.
I'm Canadian, is the American Democratic Party closer to the the Canadian Conservative Party, or the Liberal Party?

The order of the three parties from left to right would be:
Liberal->Conservative->Democratic

Because the Democrats are the left half of the American spectrum, but American politics is substantially more right wing then Canadian politics.  You can see this in things like the Democrats favoring a free market healthcare system while the Conservatives favor a socialized healthcare system.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »

I am sure that some others know more about this then me but the way I learned it is:

Republicans: Stereotypical conservatives that have liberal policies other then when they do not.

Democrats: Stereotypical liberal that have conservatives policies other then when they do not.

I think it was clearer about... fifty years ago? But then new social concerns have made it so that Democrats support things you would think Republicans support and vica versa.

A example of that may be... Abortion, by the base stance you would think Republicans would be pro choice but that is not how it is.

Or I may be completing talking out my ass.

Edit: Okay, I think it is economics and social policy. They are switched.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 11:11:12 pm »

I enjoy socialized healthcare, but I don't see Conservatives on the poll.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 11:12:42 pm »

I enjoy socialized healthcare, but I don't see Conservatives on the poll.

You will want a Democrat for that.

Or a republican. Socialized healthcare is both economic and social. But in this case I think Democrat.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 11:14:38 pm »

In general, the republicans are left wing and democrats are right wing. I think, I always get confused with the right wing/left wing terminology since the media uses them so ambigously.

You've got those backwards.  Left wing is closer to bleeding heart hippies.  Right wing is closer to Jesusland.

Figured as much :P

I am sure that some others know more about this then me but the way I learned it is:

Republicans: Stereotypical conservatives that have liberal policies other then when they do not.

Democrats: Stereotypical liberal that have conservatives policies other then when they do not.

I think it was clearer about... fifty years ago? But then new social concerns have made it so that Democrats support things you would think Republicans support and vica versa.

A example of that may be... Abortion, by the base stance you would think Republicans would be pro choice but that is not how it is.

Or I may be completing talking out my ass.

Yea I think thats about right, Conservative is left wing and Liberal is right wing, I think?? Gah, I'm always confused about that stuff :P

Anyways, yea, there are issues that vary within the party and others that are more similar within the party.

Still, with the similarities, you'd think congress would stop fighting and actually get things done.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:16:40 pm by smjjames »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 11:16:23 pm »

Politics are (Is?) stupid.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 11:17:08 pm »

I agree. Good thing they are not necessary right?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 11:17:40 pm »

Politics are confusing and you're probably wrong about part of it.
That seems to sum up the majority of the thread right now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 11:18:10 pm »

Just call someone a king and be done with it.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 11:18:36 pm »

Yea, the (second) Bush adminstration for one.

Oh yea, anybody notice Nikov hasn't posted? He'd jump right into this stuff.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »

Politics are confusing and you're probably wrong about part of it.
That seems to sum up the majority of the thread right now.

There we go, that is what I was trying to say.

Just call someone a king and be done with it.

Yeah, that totally worked last time, not like it lead to a thousand year dark ages.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 11:20:58 pm »

Hey, at least shit got done.

Lots of shit.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 11:21:52 pm »

Hey, at least shit got done.

Lots of shit.

:Y

Shit did not get done.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 11:22:21 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7