Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Between two generic canidates, who would you vote for?

Democratic Canidate
- 55 (85.9%)
Republican Canidate
- 9 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: A Generic Poll  (Read 5885 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: A Generic Poll
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 09:12:04 pm »

Those of us who are 16 will be able to vote in 2012, so it's a moot point anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 09:18:01 pm »

There's no need to apologize, I just hate being unable to vote.

Out of curiosity, would you vote for that Alvin Green guy? I think he's a NC candidate. Anyways, it would take a miracle for him to win that election.

Personally, I probably wouldn't vote for him since he is such an out of the blue candidate and from what I've seen, he doesn't seem very competent.

Edit: Nm, just checked and he's a South Carolina candidate, and I'm from California anyhow, so it doesn't matter to me, state election wise that is.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:25:32 pm by smjjames »

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:26 pm »

Of the two, democratic.

Anyway, do the terms democratic and republican bear any semblance to their meanings, or is it like comparing an assembly to an organization?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 09:41:42 pm »

There's no need to apologize, I just hate being unable to vote.
You're not missing much. From everything I've witnessed pre- and post- voting age, I'm still unregistered by will (IE- non-3rd party True Independent). I choose not to choose, because no matter who wins, we lose. A team I rooted for more are being battered into unfair biases by the media, and the other side's being a bunch of dicks. I'm not placing any names on who I'm talking about; but as long as there's this much bias holding dominance over the ignorant masses, I am not making a choice. The field is still to grey (or halftone) to determine a solid candidate. Make 'Neither' an option.

I may need a brown coat in the future if this keeps up.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:14 pm »

Democratic.
I enjoy democracy, and I don't even know what a republicacy is.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »

The USA isn't a true democracy.
It's a constitutional republic with democratically elected officials.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 09:53:19 pm »

I'd vote democrat, well, if I could vote. The Republic party is in fairly bad shape, to the point where my dad's friend is pretty worried about them gaining office, even though he's a registered republic voter. And given what Christine O'Donnell said recently during a debate, well, I think it speaks for itself.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 09:54:05 pm »

-Actually, Nevermind.-
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 10:02:39 pm »

To all you people saying, "oh, no wildly overstated picture of either party represents me, I'm not gonna bother voting because it's pointless and stupid."  I have never endorsed the idea that you can't complain if you don't vote, but if you don't vote for that kind of reason, don't expect your opinions to be taken very seriously.

First of all, not voting doesn't keep you from being governed by people you hate.  In fact, it encourages such an outcome, because you're not at least reducing their margin of victory by voting elsewise.  Secondly, have you bothered to look into the people actually running in your district?  I'll be they have more positions you agree with than you think, even if they're rarely successful in getting such positions passed into law.  Not to mention, you're depriving your voice from ballot initiatives and special elections particular to your area, which will have far more impact on your personal life than a losing vote for a senator ever will.

Third, and I say this with all due and possible respect - grow up.  No, your views are not perfectly represented.  They never will be, and you will never get everything you want out of your government.  That doesn't make casting a pox on all their houses and not doing anything else the principled position.  If nothing else, you're depriving yourself from understanding just how your democracy works.  Try it sometime, you never know, you might learn something.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »

Third, and I say this with all due and possible respect - grow up.  No, your views are not perfectly represented.  They never will be, and you will never get everything you want out of your government.  That doesn't make casting a pox on all their houses and not doing anything else the principled position.  If nothing else, you're depriving yourself from understanding just how your democracy works.  Try it sometime, you never know, you might learn something.
I'd like to re-emphasize this point. Quite a few people don't even have a say with how their country runs, but don't have the ability to do so. In a republic, you have a say in how you get treated, and if you aren't going to say what's on your mind people won't be able to accommodate your views. At the very least, ask for the closest match.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 10:48:26 pm »

I have yet to understand the difference between Republicans and Democrats. I've been putting it off until I'm somewhat pressured to do so.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »

I'm not voting in this poll.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 10:57:58 pm »

One thing is for sure, Republicans are for big business (like oil for example), while Democrats mainly aren't.

You'd have to look at the issues and what the politicians say for each party.

In general, the republicans are left wing and democrats are right wing. I think, I always get confused with the right wing/left wing terminology since the media uses them so ambigously.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 11:00:49 pm »

I'm Canadian, is the American Democratic Party closer to the the Canadian Conservative Party, or the Liberal Party?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 11:02:27 pm »

I wouldn't know since I don't know anything about political parties in other countries.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7