Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: whats the best computer out there?  (Read 2916 times)

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
whats the best computer out there?
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:14:31 pm »

ok guys, i want to know on a serious note, whats basically the best computer you can buy that runs decent graphics, is fast, generally good... ...

what im looking for is something that can run graphics at a 7 on a scale of one to ten, any upgrades that will help ect.

and lets assume money is not a problem

guys im sorry if this is a little undescriptive, please tell me or ask anything you need to

PS.. is it bad to recycle threads?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:37:43 pm by ricky »
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: computers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:19:37 pm »

double post
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:38:12 pm by ricky »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: whats the best computer out there?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:14:07 pm »

The best computer is the one that comes out 6 months from when you buy a computer.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:15:49 pm »

This.:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Constellation_System

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:30:15 pm »

you guys suck. seriously

i know i suck too, but how about we make this a happy thread of help?

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:34 pm »

Just shop around newegg for parts.  It's not that hard.  Everything gets faster and higher quality the more you pay and the longer you wait.
Money is always a problem.  Computer power scales up almost infinitely with more and more funding.  Give us a price range, and what you want to run on it, and I bet someone'll find something.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:44:19 pm »

Just shop around newegg for parts.  It's not that hard.  Everything gets faster and higher quality the more you pay and the longer you wait.
Money is always a problem.  Computer power scales up almost infinitely with more and more funding.  Give us a price range, and what you want to run on it, and I bet someone'll find something.

i dont know what you mean by "what you want it to run on" :/ and lets set the price bar with  300-600$
windows, if thats what you mean by what to run on and whatever you think is best from there

i suppsoe to make it easier, lets go with "i want a computer that can run DF in the worst case FPS scenario, and still get good fps"

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »

What I meant by 'what you want to run on it' is its purpose, which you answered for me by saying DF.  So I assume graphics is not a priority, or are there more graphics-intensive things you intend to run on it?  If it's just DF, you can skimp on graphics for greater CPU power.
Are you looking for a Desktop or Laptop?  If a desktop, do you feel comfortable putting it together yourself or are you looking for something premade?  If you are willing to put one together yourself, do you have a spare windows license you could use, or would you have to buy one?  That can add $100+ to a computer.

And just so you know, when you said price was not a problem, my mind jumped to something in the $1000-$2000 range, not the $300-$600 range.

And you will have to define good fps and a worst case fps scenario for me to judge what you're looking for better, even my overclocked i7-920 system slows down eventually in big forts, and a rig like that is quite a bit out of your price range.

The main thing is, I need to what you're looking for.  That's what the questions are for.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 05:44:44 pm »

What I meant by 'what you want to run on it' is its purpose, which you answered for me by saying DF.  So I assume graphics is not a priority, or are there more graphics-intensive things you intend to run on it?  If it's just DF, you can skimp on graphics for greater CPU power.
Are you looking for a Desktop or Laptop?  If a desktop, do you feel comfortable putting it together yourself or are you looking for something premade?  If you are willing to put one together yourself, do you have a spare windows license you could use, or would you have to buy one?  That can add $100+ to a computer.

And just so you know, when you said price was not a problem, my mind jumped to something in the $1000-$2000 range, not the $300-$600 range.

And you will have to define good fps and a worst case fps scenario for me to judge what you're looking for better, even my overclocked i7-920 system slows down eventually in big forts, and a rig like that is quite a bit out of your price range.

The main thing is, I need to what you're looking for.  That's what the questions are for.

i basically want games to run fast, i can do without good graphics, but unbearable speed curdles my blood

as for DF fps, i figure 100 fps is good, 75 with a populated fort is my dreams. i put dwarf cap at 25. in a 2x2 embark.

and what i meant by money isnt a problem, it is, i just want to get the best idea

i assume its not hard to slap together a computer, but the ones in a box and are premade might be the better of the two choices.

anything else?

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 06:01:53 pm »

Well, give me an example of one of the games you want to play well, preferably one of the more graphically demanding ones, different games have very different graphics requirements.

Ok, it shouldn't be too hard to get 100fps in a 2x2 25 pop cap fort.  I generally play 4x4 200 pop cap games on my i7, so that's why I got slowdown.

Ok, for a preassembled one, you're probably better off asking someone else.  I can pick and choose parts, but choosing a system bundled together by someone else is not my strong suit.  Someone here should be able to help.

Oh, and do you have a monitor you can reuse, or will you need one of them too?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 06:48:19 pm »

hmm... i  have one game that made me start this thread

napolean TW, after installing it, turning all graphics settings to the lowest possible and watching the horrible framerate

use that game as a basics

also, would it help for me to post my computer specs and you advising me what i should get to improve, seeings how me buying a real computer is very rare, and so far we havent gotten very far :P

E: i also want to play minecraft with relative ease. playing the demo on the main page on a small world, i got 4 FPS with a foggy view

my computer: microsoft WIN XP
 media center edition
Version 2002
service pack 2

HP company
HP pavilion
AMD athlon 64 X2 dual
core processor 4200+
2.19 GHz, 960 MB of RAM
 [hysical address extension
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:56:18 pm by ricky »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 07:24:02 pm »

hmm 300-600 bucks?

you have any graphics? and what kind of a motherboard do you have?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 07:45:09 pm »

im not too computer literate, its sad :(

i wish i knew how to figure out what my motherboard was

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:42 pm »

Well, for the mobo, all we need to know is the model of your computer.  I see it's an HP Pavilion.  Could you find the model number somewhere on it?

Though with a rig that old I think you'll be better off starting off anew.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 07:55:08 pm »

yea you are gonna have to start new so forget your 600 max.
Pages: [1] 2 3