Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Moar politics? Not exactly.  (Read 2726 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moar politics? Not exactly.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »

Anyway Aqizzar, I will be very disappointed if you don't abuse the strict but unimaginative rules to mime the hell out of anyone thinking about voting the way you don't want them voting.

Fixed?

I'd like to think that you don't support further corruption of the political system, but maybe I'm wrong.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 06:34:35 pm »

Ok, I should have made it clearer.

What is the point in midterms.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:37:05 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:59:55 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 06:37:59 pm »

Just let me know if Boomhauer shows up, Aqizzar.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 06:40:40 pm »

Ok, I should have made it clearer.

What is the point in midterms.

That is still not a clear question.  If you're asking who is being elected, it's the entire lower chamber of Congress, the House of Representatives.  (A third of the Senate is up for election every two years too, but that's not as mobile, especially in this election where majority party control is not expected to change.)  The whole body goes up for election every two years, and this is important, because the House proposes most legislation.  Probably more importantly, both chambers can issue subpoenas to launch hearings and investigations of members of the Executive branch, pending majority support.  If the majority of a chamber, especially the House, is controlled by a party different from the President, everybody goes fucking nuts, because it's non-stop hearings and demands, for the express purpose of the screwing up the Executive branch's daily activity.

Other than that, I don't know what "point" you think you're referring to.

Just let me know if Boomhauer shows up, Aqizzar.

In all likelihood, he'll be the Election Judge, the resident officer, my counterpart, and most of the staff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 07:07:26 pm »

I believe he's asking "why are the elections staggered so that rather than electing everyone in a house of congress at once, only part is up for election at any given time?" To which the answer is that it's to ensure that there are always people who've served for a number of years already, so the entire legislature can't be filled with people who don't know how the office works, and there's always veterans who can serve as an example for new members. At least I believe that was the logic behind it, that seems to be what history books say of the matter.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:09 pm »

Not only that, the goal was that our legislature would always contain someone in it, so that we didn't have a period of three weeks where nobody was making laws. Considering that all of congress has to agree in order to declare war, the initial idea was probably to prevent us from being attacked while we shuffled our government every 6 years.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »

No, the reasons why elections are staggered is to keep surges in popular opinion in check. Imagine if the President and all seats in Congress were up for election this year, and would not be replaced until four years from now. Staggering out terms and elections keeps the electorate from throwing out the entire government on a whim and empowering either party too greatly all in one election.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 08:57:59 pm »

Oh, did I mention that I have to report to the campaign office for my location at 6AM?  And that I don't get home from work until like 4AM?  This is going to be a blast.
I seriously hope there is coffee.

I'd like to think that you don't support further corruption of the political system, but maybe I'm wrong.
I quite agree, politics needs to be clean. It helps no one when things get childish.
And, I'm pretty sure most of the time when people try to cheat the political system, it's just to thicken their wallet. ::)

Also, Aquizzar, isn't Texas normally a republican state? (I'll admit, my American political knowledge is limited!)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:05 pm »

actually, ~45% of texans are liberal. The whole state goes to republicans because of that stupid redistricting that lumps republican heavy areas with small slivers of democrat heavy ones.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:59 pm »

actually, ~45% of texans are liberal. The whole state goes to republicans because of that stupid redistricting that lumps republican heavy areas with small slivers of democrat heavy ones.

Woo!  Gerrymandering:  Ensuring fair representation since never.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 09:10:51 pm »

two states have actually smart redistricting stuff, where the whole state doesn't get tossed to one side, just the seperate districts.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 09:13:16 pm »

I think thats what California is trying to achieve with Proposition 20, unfortunately someone is trying to reverse what we voted for previously with Proposition 27 :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 09:16:02 pm »

isn't California like New Jersey, though?
Both have silly things in laws. (California with its video game law thing even though that kind of law has been struck down at least a dozen times already, and New Jersey mrequiring expiration dates on everything, even stuff that doesn't actually expire like water bottles)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:32 pm »

I quite agree, politics needs to be clean. It helps no one when things get childish.
And, I'm pretty sure most of the time when people try to cheat the political system, it's just to thicken their wallet. ::)
With all the other stuff that goes on (like you mentioned) I have no issue supporting mime-based shenanigans.

isn't California like New Jersey, though?
Both have silly things in laws. (California with its video game law thing even though that kind of law has been struck down at least a dozen times already, and New Jersey mrequiring expiration dates on everything, even stuff that doesn't actually expire like water bottles)
Every state (and country, and county, and city...) has at least a few ridiculous laws.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3