Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Moar politics? Not exactly.  (Read 2727 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Moar politics? Not exactly.
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:01:01 pm »

On Thursday, I got a letter from my campus's University Democrats about volunteering for election day duties.  I sent an email saying I'm up for whatever.  I got a call within ten minutes telling me when and where to get the information and "training".  On Saturday, I bargained my way into a closed-entry office tower to join a half-dozen DMV rejects and sit around a laptop, conference calling with a harried young legal staffer (full of spunk and moxie), to get the big briefing.

Apparently, I was drafted to do "poll-watching" tomorrow.  Namely, standing around polling locations in my county, legal obligated not to talk to anyone except the resident election judge, carefully observing for voter intimidation, malfunctioning machines, inaccurate official information, and electioneering within 100 feet of the door.  And, as a official representative of the Bill White for Texas campaign, keeping my Republican counterpart honest, and elbowing him out of the way as necessary.

This is the ground floor, the big game, where the rubber meets the road, and every other hack gamesmanship cliche.  I'll report my experiences, and if anyone's got a question about American democracy at the human level, ask away.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Moar politics? Not exactly.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:57:35 pm »

sounds boring, but interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 04:05:47 pm »

sounds boring, but interesting.
Like, all of politics?

I personally can't wait to hear what you have to say... But by the way you've built things up, I'm now expecting to hear about some minor drama going on! :P
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:28:48 pm »

You can't talk to anyone? I'd go mad.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:35:02 pm »

Sure you can't influence the polls a little?  ;D

I don't think I can survive another election cycle of perry's thought police our wonderful supreme leader.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 04:36:27 pm »

You can't talk to anyone? I'd go mad.

I can't talk to any voters or staff, except the judge, and I have to address all concerns to him in the form of a question (yes, Jeopardy rules are inscribed into election law).  I can call the home office to make reports, provided the judge doesn't respond.  However, I may not be able to actually the leave building to make phonecalls (if necessary), pending the judge's attitude.  Phone breaks or not, I basically have to stay inside for at least five consecutive hours or... well, it's not really clear what the consequences are, except that I wouldn't be allowed back into the building.

Oh, did I mention that I have to report to the campaign office for my location at 6AM?  And that I don't get home from work until like 4AM?  This is going to be a blast.

Any registered voters in Dallas county who haven't voted yet, come out and say hello if you want, even if I probably won't be able to verbally respond.  I'll be the guy with the cold stare, the bags under his eyes, and the clipboard covered in fake notes who never leaves the building.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 04:43:47 pm »

I have to address all concerns to him in the form of a question (yes, Jeopardy rules are inscribed into election law).

I'd love to hear the flimsy justification for this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:58:05 pm »

Sounds... odd.  Does it turn into a sortof mime-off between you and the Republican one?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 05:04:26 pm »

Pretty much.  It's like being a vizier, I have to frame everything I say to the judge as a passive-voice clarification of standing law.  I am not an election official, I'm a representative of a political party, and the election commission is very keen about keeping all election-swinging activity outside the 100-foot radius of the door.  That includes making it in any way obvious what I'm a representative of, or saying anything to the official staff that could be interpreted as a command or appeal.

At least, provided the particular on-site judge is enough of a dick to worry about phrasing.  Hopefully he'll be a little more cool than that.  The thing that I found most interesting about my briefing was the intimation that Dallas county has no indication of funny business.  Suggesting there are counties with such.  I'm not sure which scenario I should hope for.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »

I had no idea you were in Texas. 

Edit: I always pegged you as a yankee.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:17:51 pm by Nonsapient »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 05:23:53 pm »

How did midterms come about? I can't help but wonder if its a massive waste of time for the president and his officials to be campaigning while only in office for 2 years. Doesn't he have better things to do like... run the country?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:29:38 pm »

How did midterms come about? I can't help but wonder if its a massive waste of time for the president and his officials to be campaigning while only in office for 2 years.

Uh... What exactly is the question?  I'm pretty sure I can answer it, but if you're asking why there's elections besides for the President, well, that's gonna take a while.  If you're asking why the President and such are involved in the campaigning, it's because the President is more famous and visible than any Congressman could ever be, and the Congress goes out of session around election time anyway.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 05:33:50 pm »

How did midterms come about? I can't help but wonder if its a massive waste of time for the president and his officials to be campaigning while only in office for 2 years. Doesn't he have better things to do like... run the country?
He doesn't have to campaign, as the president isn't up for re-election except for every 4 years. The president isn't campaigning for himself; he's "campaigning" for the people he supports that are up for (re-)election.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 05:53:54 pm »

He doesn't have to campaign, as the president isn't up for re-election except for every 4 years. The president isn't campaigning for himself; he's "campaigning" for the people he supports that are up for (re-)election.
Which is relevant because he has trouble getting anything done if the right people aren't elected. And because they're his buddies.

Anyway Aqizzar, I will be very disappointed if you don't abuse the strict but unimaginative rules to mime the hell out of anyone thinking about voting the way you don't want them voting.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 05:56:42 pm »

Which is relevant because he has trouble getting anything done if the right people aren't elected. And because they're his buddies.
Sitting duck politics?  I suppose Obama doesn't want his duck to be any lamer then it already is.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2 3