Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Aimed shots in the coming update?  (Read 5453 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aimed shots in the coming update?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 12:53:43 pm »

I think it is the medical condition that affects the ability to grasp that is bugged, losing the arm doesn't trigger it but smashing the hand does.

Back on topic, will blocking affect aimed shots? I feel that this change will make headshots with the warhammer more effective on unconscious enemies.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 02:39:02 pm »

Does that mean that i soon will be able to walk around, severing heads?

:P

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 02:41:09 pm »

Does that mean that i soon will be able to walk around, severing heads?

At night, yes.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 02:43:21 pm »

Sleepy Hollow.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 02:52:36 pm »

Luckily, he's also implemented (the need for) reach in the same update, meaning as long as you're upright the little stuff won't be able to go for your head.

Did I miss this somewhere?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »

I'm fairly sure reach isn't in yet.

Edit: Although at the current rate of going, I would be unsurprised if he sneaked it in.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:58:03 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 03:03:36 pm »

I think that people think some aspect of reach went into the game because of the screenshot where Toady had an opportunity to kick the enemy's foot with his own foot. It could be related to reach, but it could be a coincidence.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »

I'm fairly sure reach isn't in yet.

Edit: Although at the current rate of going, I would be unsurprised if he sneaked it in.

I'd be surprised.  It raises an enormous number of questions about weapon shape, body part shape, body part position (e.g. stance), etc.  For instance, given the current body plans in DF, how do you compute the height (distance to ground) for the upper body of a biped/quadruped/legless creature that is standing/prone?  How do you compute the length of an elephant's tusk when you only have the total volume to go on?  What stance does a 5-legged spider adopt?  And so on.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 03:22:06 pm »

YES!
TOADY I LOVE YOU..EVEN MORE THAN BEFORE!
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/aim1.png
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/aim2.png
NOT ONLY YOU CAN AIM AT BODY PARTS, YOU CAN ALSO HOW TO ATTACK THEM!
NOW I CAN FINALLY BITE PEOPLE IN THEIR FACES WITHOUT GETTING MY ARMS CHOPPED OFF!
NOW ADVENTURE MODE IS ADVENTUROUSLY AWESOME!
ARMOK BLESS THE TOADS!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 04:31:29 pm »

CRUSE CONTROL FOR COOL
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 04:44:40 pm »

@Footkerchief: I would assume a relatively simple system could be made for the bones, using body types, i.e. small, average, large and giant. Now a small creature has no hope of hitting a giant creature's head, except for under special circumstances, for example if a dragon leans down to bite you, providing a chance for an attack. This could be made to work both  ways, perhaps a giant creature has trouble hitting a small creature without bending down, providing a chance for a normal sized creature to lop it's head off, which could provide an interesting group selection dynamic. As for the case of legless creatures and such, I would assume it would be plausible just to reduce it by a height level, as for prone, that would be more awkward, a human lying down would be much more compact than a dragon for example, hmm, If you can think of any  ideas for this case I'd be happy to hear it. Apologies for the lack of actual detail and useful information, I'm on my phone right now.
*Hugs*

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 06:12:44 pm »

I expect there will be stuff in there for size difference, it seems that in the alligator fight the human can hit all of the enemy creature easily. I would have thought that's because the human is the larger creature.

I expect that the instakill parts are always more difficult and the remaining limbs are easier or harder to hit based on random rolls.

Also: adventure mode is gonna be fun on a bun.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 06:49:00 pm »

The human can hit the alligator easily anywhere because the beast is unconscious, and as Toady wrote on the devlog, when an opponent is unconscious the opportunity chances are maxed out.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »

I've had adventurers loose their weapon after loosing a finger and have had dwarves still using a weapon after loosing two arms.

Edit: spelling...

I rarely do this, but if you're going to be vigilant about spelling mistakes, I might as well point out that it's spelled "lose."
Loose might still work in this instance, as in, he let loose his fingers across the room. :)  Although, I suppose the one losing their fingers wouldn't be the one loosing them. :)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 10:17:21 pm »

so let me get this straight, the only piece of amour i need to equip my dwarves starting from the next update is a helm right  :o
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4