Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most Awesome Battle  (Read 519 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most Awesome Battle
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:26 am »

Sort of inspired from the Anticlimatic battle thread. Is there anyone with an awesome battle before that they'd like to share? (for the lolz and the wows)

Here's mine.

While playing Dig Dwarfier 40d 2 months ago, I had another early orc siege. They were mostly wrestlers (brawlers sound nicer, so I'll say that instead. Wrestlers sound more.... modern, or Sumo-ish), with squads of weaponlords. I have 7 marksdwarfs and 3 moderately trained axedwarves out of 16 of my dwarves. None of them were any higher than skilled in marksdwarf skills. I was content to let draw the drawbridge up and wait it out, before realising it was the time for a caravan. So I saved, and did not draw up the bridge. The marksdwarves were stationed up on the battlements, facing the bridge.

The orc brawler squads were the first to approach. They were led by a weapon lord. Immediately, wooden and steel bolts hammered them from above, immediately killing more than half of them before scrambling for more ammo in the nearby tower (connected to wall). The weapon lord let out a furious scream (or at least as I imagined, cuz that would have been cool) and led the remaining three muscular, and moderately wounded (two of them) brawlers in a charge for the axedwarves. Immediately, the order was given, and the three ballistas (on the side of the long bridge, quite far so the siege operators won't freak out at seeing the orcs) let loose their missiles. One orc was impaled and flew into the moat, one missed, and another took the hand off a brawler, who did not seem to notice the loss ([NO PAIN]).

The dwarves and orcs began a furious melee, dwarven forged steel against shoddy orc shaped steel. One axedwarf lost a hand, another suffered yellow wounds, and another was roughened up and broke his arm, but they prevailed against the weaponlord. Replacing the doomed to a bed ridden life axedwarf with the resident wood chopper, the defenders stood at the gate.

The second and third wave converged (uh oh) at the start of the bridge once again, and that was when the lever was pulled, collapsing tiles of constructed floor upon them. This wiped out a weaponlord, and four brawlers. But it was a fraction of the main army, who recovered and charged through the long bridge. The steel ballista heads are issued this time (unforbidden after the initial barrage), and they fired into the mass of slavering barbarians. This time, all three punctured deep into the horde, cutting down many and causing some to bleed to death. However, only losing half of their number, and their leader still alive, they continued their advance. The marksdwarves opened fire, and the axedwarves charged into the fray with over 10 resident war dogs, buying time for the REAL damage dealers to grab more ammo. Blood stained the bridge red, both dwarf and orc. The leader, a elite marksorc, took aim and sniped down a marksdwarf utop the walls. But eventually, with the melee dwarves holding out, the marksdwarves managed to shoot and kill the enemy leader, causing the fourth wave (which was just approaching) to retreat. The losses were all our dogs, our axedwarves, and one marksdwarf.

As a reward... the caravan arrived soon after!

Wow that was long... but it IS my most epic battle. Anyone want to share theirs?