Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Empire Reborn (signup thread/OOC Discussion)  (Read 2567 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Empire Reborn (signup thread/OOC Discussion)
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:39:23 am »

The Backstory:
145,000 B.C.E.: The first human civilization arises on earth, becoming capable of interstellar travel within 21,000 years

110,000 B.C.E: The first empire, as it would later be called, collapses in upon itself in civil war. Countless trillions of sentient beings die, and millions of earth-like worlds are sterilized, in the ensuing chaos.

2,050 C.E.: The current human civilization recieves a binary message from the star Alpha Centauri A. When the message is finally deciphered, it depicts a solar system consisting of a small gas giant and what appeared to be an earth-like world. Also in the image was a pair of cat-like humanoids, one clearly male, the other clearly female, with the female pointing at the second planet in the system. Part of the message was not an image, but rather a reconstruction of their genetic code, which was similiar to the genetic structure of humans and that of a wild species of cat, F. Libyca. This turned humankind's view of itself on its head, as this evidence pointed towards the existence of an advanced human civilization prior to their own.

2,051 C.E.: The first human expedition to Alpha Centauri leaves the solar system onboard a spacecraft equipped with a solar sail. At the same time, a vessel departs from Alpha Centauri, carrying a group of "Katthara", as they would later refer to themselves.

2,094 C.E.: The Katthara expedition crew arrives in the solar system, and roughly three months later, the human expedition arrives at Alpha Centuari.

2,547 C.E.: The Katthara and humans have become close allies, but because interstellar travel is still absurdly expensive, trade is limited and each race is a minority in the other's system.

2,569 C.E.: Evidence unearthed on the Katthara homeworld (Called Bast by humans, after an ancient egyptian deity with a cat's head) suggests that the civilization responsible for spreading life to at least Alpha Centauri built a network of "Warp-Hubs" with one in each solar system, usually on the moon of a gas giant. A frantic search begins in the solar system, as whoever finds the hub would be famous beyond belief.

Basically, players take the role of a group of friends looking for this 'warp-hub', and can choose between the following races:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens (Terrans): Your basic garden-variety human, and the fourth strongest of the half dozen or so human subspecies.

Homo Sapiens Lunar (Lunars|Lightworlders): One of the first subspecies to branch off from Homo Sapiens Sapiens, they are taller and thinner than terrans, and suffer in earthlike gravity. While orginally confined to the moon, they can now be found on a number of low gravity worlds (Mars, Io, Ganymede, Callisto)

Homo Sapiens Cythera (Venusians|Squats): Terraforming Venus turned out to be too much effort, so the colonists instead adapted themselves. Shorter and stouter than terrans, they have to wear environmental suits in earthlike conditions.

Homo Sapiens Jovis (Jovians): One of the hardiest human subspecies, jovians have been engineered to survive levels of radiation that would prove extremely harmful, if not outright lethal to other humans.

Homo Sapiens Aquatis (Europans): Adapted to the frigid oceans of Europa, this human subspecies is the best at handling long period of zero-gravity, although they need an aquatic environment rich in ammonia and sulphur compounds.

Homo Felis Felis (Katthara):  Katthara are humanoid feline creatures, with a digitigrade gait. They are extremely dextrous and make good engineers and merchants.

The rpg starts out in 'Tranquility City', A colony built up around the Apollo 11 Landing site. Anybody interested? I need 4-5 players.

Edit: Here's the signup format:
Character Name:
'Race':
Profession:
Appearance:
Skills:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:36:47 pm by Vorthon »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Reborn: A tale of humanity rediscovering its lost past.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:41 am »

Character Name: Siles Virgrid

'Race': Homo Sapiens Aquatis (Europans)

Profession: Engineer for Hire, works cheap. Call 111-SILEV

Appearance: Tall and mean looking. His dark blue coloration is a bit off, tinged with yellow, making him look permanently ill...maybe a failed attempt at gene splicing? He has a faded tattoo on his shoulder-bright red and black like a poisonous fish. It depicts a wild eyed, bearded man wielding a trident. Though he isn't actually cruel, he looks like the kind of person who would beat you up and take your wallet. And maybe kick you when your down.

Personality:  Siles is an independent sort. He doesn't trust in the competency of anyone else, but himself, and even then has frequent self esteem issues. Born a doubter...he believes in the telemetry and money that's about it. If you can get past his walls, you'll find a wry senfose of humor, buried deep down. Just don't insult his novels-in his off time, he likes to write. Old World Fantasy stories, mostly. Swords and Sorcery? No? Well, there's not much of a market for it these days...but he writes for himself, ya ken? He sees himself as an adventurer, even a romantic...everybodies entitled to their delusions.

Skills:

Navigation (more of an inherent sense of direction, which has served him well)
Engieering (He gets things to work. Usually by pounding on it)
Pistol User (Of course he can defend himself. A man like him can't imagine being helpless...)
Computer Skills ( You name it, he can hack it. Even if you didnt ask him to.)
Intimidation (he LOOKS intimidating. It might work on anyone who doesnt know real fear)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:11:29 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:05:14 am »

Character Name: Naseer Ghufran
'Race': Homo Sapiens Jovis
Profession: Diplomat
Appearance: A large, intidimitating man, with dark skin, small, deep-set eyes and an expression that seems to be locked into an eternal frown. Tends to wear a black greatcoat.
Personality: Despite his somewhat frightening appearance, however, Naseer is generally very friendly and diplomatic, as expected from one of his profession. He's more than glad to use violence though, if necessary.
Skills: Persuasion, Piloting, Unarmed Combat

I couldn't really think of good skills, but oh well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:19:23 pm »

Bumping to top of page. We need more players. ;)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:04:30 pm »

Another bump! Yeah, I'm bored tonight.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:43:50 am »

Moar bumps *yawn*

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 06:02:15 am »

Okay, calm down. That's just gonna scare people away.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 08:13:56 am »

Y'know, if we don't get anymore players soon, we could start with just you two. It probably wouldn't be too hard to add more later.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:13:29 am »

Character Name:Kaguro Draven(I almost always use this)
'Race':Homo Sapiens Cythera (Venusians|Squats)
Profession:Scientist(bio-engineering(if availible, tech if not) as his specialty)
Appearance:Kaguro is rather short, but somewhat stocky due to a natural strengh he rarely uses. His appearence is almost always covered by an Evo-suit unless he is on Venus, but when not in the suit it can be seen that his dark brown, nearly black, hair is cut short, barly longer than a crew cut, and his eyes are a chocolate brown. He has a very well kept beard and mustache in a goatee, he would prefer a bushier one but it wouldn't fit in an evo-suit.
Personality: Kaguro doesn't care about much of anything, or anyone, as long as he can do his experiments, which are his passion in life. When dealing with other things he tends to be rather lazy and slow, but when dealing with his experiments he moves far faster and is usually thinking about his next or current experiment.
Skills: Knowledge of General science
Knowledge of Bio-engineering.
Knowledge of plants, animals, etc. that can be used in experiments.
Good Hand-Eye coordination.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:16:03 am by KaguroDraven »
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 09:37:41 am »

@KaguroDraven: Yeah, bio-engineering is available, but it'll take (at least) a couple in-game months for any genemods to take full effect. It'll be a gradual changes. As for whole new creatures, how fast they can be created will depend on what kind of tech you can get your hands on. There's Ancient tech left scattered throughout the galaxy, so if you're (insanely) lucky, you might find some. With that, you'd be able to grow creatures in a matter of minutes.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 09:41:56 am »

If, and I'm sure it's a big If, we get a ship could I obtain vats and tanks for keeping experiments in? So they could grow over time.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:24:30 am »

Character Name: Danni Gibbons
'Race': Terran
Profession: Computer Technician
Appearance: Pink hair with blue tips, genetically engineered orange feline eyes.  She wears an audio-visual headset whenever she is not sleeping.  On her wrist is her trusty personal computer, an older model weighing a few pounds, but dependable and versatile.
Personality: Danni is used to keeping her own company and has gotten quite good at it.  She knows how to keep herself amused an happy tinkering with the explore little quirks of life most people don't care about and making jokes that no one gets the answers to.  She tends to be distracted and shy when dealing with people face to face but when dealing with technical problems or stepping into her beloved virtual reality, she becomes confident, assuming and poised.
Skills: Danni is an expert at computer interface and has a wide repertoire of self written algorithms to use in debugging applications.  She has studied advanced mathematics with an eye towards understanding complex systems and manipulating them with a minimum of time.  She has been a "sherpa" for several years now, a web community that hacks into MMO's when they are first released and gets high level characters before anyone else.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:45:07 am »

@ KaguroDraven: Yeah, but it'd depend on the type of ship.

Edit:Let's start. Four people is enough. Should I make a new topic, or should we use this one?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:35:03 am by Vorthon »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Start a new thread and keep this for OOC, I guess.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Reborn (signup thread/OOC Discussion)
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 04:31:20 pm »

Can I still get in?
Name: Kavit Mawas
Race: Homo Felis Felis (Katthara)
Profession: Chemical Engineer
Appearance: A somewhat small male Katthara with short, sand-brown fur with darker stripes, which tends to white at the tips of his ears. His face is rather featureless for a Katthara, possibly due to surgery. His eyes are a deep gold color, but the left one has some barely noticeable mechanical structures along the rim. Across his left cheek down over his chest and right arm there's a streak of discolored fur and his left ear looks ruffed.
Personality: Kavit is somewhat outgoing, though mostly only to those he knows. He enjoys company but dislikes crowds. He is unusually interested in earth's small cats and is often seen with a small red cat he calls Mari. His other interests include astronomy, amateur rocketry, history and (xeno)geology. He's a member of the "Icarus society for experimental rocketry," a group of amateur rocket and spacecraft builders.
Skills: Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, "kitchen sink chemistry" (especially when it comes to fuel and explosives), Piloting (though only light crafts)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:40:09 pm by Virex »
Pages: [1] 2