Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdarves issues  (Read 542 times)

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdarves issues
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:30:41 am »

Hi,

I have a squad of marksdwarves equipped with crossbows and bolts stationed on my fortress outer wall, with a squad of visible invaders at the bottom of the wall. My marksdwarves just won't shoot at them. The invaders are only 3 or 4 tiles away, on the z level below, and my dwarves haven't used a single bolt.

I tried the [k]ill order, and that didn't help either. How do I get my dwarves to do what I want them to?

For info, there is no path between the invaders and my dwarves. I locked the doors that lead to the outside. I am reluctant to open them because there are probably other ambushers out there and they'd be able to kill my fort in no time (chaos dwarves). I am using v31.16 and civilization forge.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdarves issues
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:12:08 am »

I'm not familiar with the mod you mentioned, however I can say that the (k) order is a little wonky for marksdwarves, generaly you are better stationing them and letting them open fire themselves.

As a sanity check:  You have bolts assigned, but are they carrying them?  Check with v, then i for inventory, scroll to the quiver and hit enter to see if it contains bolts

Also is your wall 1-tile wide?  if its wider than that and they are standing back from the edge then they may not have line of sight

Lack of path shouldnt be an issue here, and is indeed advisable to stop them trying to club the buggers when they run out of ammo
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:19:34 am »

As a sanity check:  You have bolts assigned, but are they carrying them?  Check with v, then i for inventory, scroll to the quiver and hit enter to see if it contains bolts
Yes, they have 25 -Iron bolts- in their quivers

Also is your wall 1-tile wide?  if its wider than that and they are standing back from the edge then they may not have line of sight
The wall is only 1 tide wide, so they should have no problem seeing their targets. They are just not firing at them ... They should be easy targets though, being so close and having no armor

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »

The wall is only 1 tide wide, so they should have no problem seeing their targets. They are just not firing at them ... They should be easy targets though, being so close and having no armor

I have similar problems. When I order markdwarves to station near a fortifications, they rarely station at the designated point, and only a few of them are at a tile adjacent to the wall. Lately, there was a sleeping FB just one tile away and one level below a fortification. Only one marksdwarf was adjacent to the wall, and it took a long time before he decided to shoot. And while he was shooting, his comrades stood still, doing nothing to help him.

Getting the dwarves where you want is a bit painful. Another example:

# #
# #
# #########
#         #
# # ... # #
# # ... # #
# #  x  # #
# ####### ###
#    y   
#############

#: wall
.: pit with prisonners to shoot at
x: place i want the dwarf to be
y: place he goes to

I have to move the dwarf again and again, hoping he will eventually pass next to the pit and spot a prisonner.

Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:17:27 pm »

Kill orders seem to be completely broken with marksdwarves - if they listen to the order at all, they'll probably rush in to use melee attacks. In fact, I tend to never use kill orders at all, instead just Stationing my military near a threat and letting them figure out what to do.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:17:57 pm »

Hi,

I have a squad of marksdwarves equipped with crossbows and bolts stationed on my fortress outer wall, with a squad of visible invaders at the bottom of the wall. My marksdwarves just won't shoot at them. The invaders are only 3 or 4 tiles away, on the z level below, and my dwarves haven't used a single bolt.

I tried the [k]ill order, and that didn't help either. How do I get my dwarves to do what I want them to?

For info, there is no path between the invaders and my dwarves. I locked the doors that lead to the outside. I am reluctant to open them because there are probably other ambushers out there and they'd be able to kill my fort in no time (chaos dwarves). I am using v31.16 and civilization forge.

Civilization Forge shouldn't effect it any. I think your problem may be simpler than that. Dwarves that are on a wall above the enemy may not actually have line of sight on them. It's a good idea to have a moat or some other obstruction keeping invaders at least a tile (or more) away from the wall so that your dwarves can be behind fortifications and still fire down.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One