Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF's unusual status  (Read 1006 times)

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF's unusual status
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:36:40 am »

I'm curious about something. This game is officially in alpha, but it's version of 'alpha' is a pretty unique one, what with it already being a popular game played by alot of people. The only other game I know of in a similar situation would be Minecraft (anyone know any others?). It almost seems like DF is in a sort of very large, non-feature-complete, open beta, in a manner of speaking.

So, my question is this: Given the game's unusual status, what would have to change, or what would be different about, the game for it to be considered "in beta"? (other than the obvious, "when Toady says so".)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: DF's unusual status
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:41:09 am »

There isn't a real hard and fast rule for alpha, beta, etc. Typically in a beta most if not all of the features are implemented and all the designers are doing is working out the bugs. Toady is still adding new features. On top of that I don't believe he has hammered out all the kinks in the code as I have heard the code described as a "mess" (I don't program myself this is just what I have read here).
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: DF's unusual status
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:14:41 am »

Considering what he has listed on his "to add" page, I'm sure we'll be playing an alpha version of DF for a long, long time.

Dear god, getting out of beta. That'll take even longer. Maybe. I don't know im not good with computers.