Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Computer Expert" with a broken computer! (*GASP* Update!)  (Read 3222 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: "Computer Expert" with a broken computer!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:12 pm »

Let me give a sage advice here, since you mentioned your ram sticks are OCZ and you have 0 errors on slot 1 and a gazillion on slot 2.

Whenever that happens this is the cause:

Wrong DDR Voltages

Check the website of your memory sticks and what DDR voltage it uses, the termination voltage, the the CPU to XX HT link voltages, and so on. Throw them in your BIOS and run the memory check again.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 10:16:04 am »

Let me give a sage advice here, since you mentioned your ram sticks are OCZ and you have 0 errors on slot 1 and a gazillion on slot 2.

Whenever that happens this is the cause:

Wrong DDR Voltages
Hmm, I've checked this a couple of times, but I'm actually glad it came up.

Check the website of your memory sticks and what DDR voltage it uses, the termination voltage, the the CPU to XX HT link voltages, and so on. Throw them in your BIOS and run the memory check again.
Both packages explicitly say 1.65v.
I remember setting the Motherboard to 1.64... Or 1.66. I can't remember what it was, but it it just seemed to fit as the best voltage.
However, it did cross my mind that 1.65v may be listed as an upper limit?
In which case, I'd see it best to lower it one level, which would level out at about 1.54 or something.
I just want to check that this is definitely worth testing - since right now I'm worried that the PSU might be slightly over outputting, which would lead to the possibility that every time I turn that PC on, it breaks a little more.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 10:48:19 am »

No, they don't really have limits, it's usually a set value. If, on the reading, you get a slightly off value, don't worry about trying to fix it, it's more important that you set it to the right value than trying to get the read value to match it.

Also, for the over/under output, if it's around the 10% area, don't worry. Most components can work with a wide range of voltages and whenever they suck more amps, the voltage will drop slightly anyway. The only component that's annoying about voltages is the ram.

If that doesn't solve it, nor switching sticks around to see if the test changes, they (or your mobo) might be faulty. Your power supply -should- be enough for what you have. But I'd get an enermax or any other good brand if I were you.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 11:01:13 am »

Right now I'm trying to find a good UK site that'll supply the stuff. Looking at this kind of bill to fix this brand new computer has really put me off the last site.

The thing is, this just brings us back to speculating over the state of the motherboard. Which is really bad.
I need to establish the state of the motherboard right now. I mean, seriously. I can't buy three sets of ram, two motherboards and a spare PSU for one computer. It will as good as bankrupt me.

I'm not sure how much this confirms, but all four RAM chips where all tested on the motherboard's Slot 1.
Which leaves me reluctant to test Slots 2, 3 and 4, incase they are actually faulty.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 11:37:41 am »

If they all passed on slot 1, they're fine so at least you know your ram isn't faulty. Here's something you should try, set them to the default DDR3 voltage: 1.5v and test with all 4 slots full.

Is there any computer repair store you can go to? You can probably get them to test your computer with another 4 sticks, a different psu, even a different mobo so you can tell what's wrong. I don't think they will charge you much for a service like that.

As a final note, you don't have to buy any new component, most of computer components have a huge warranty policy, some are even limited/manufacturing-lifetime. Just RMA them and the most you will pay is the S&H.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 12:02:41 pm »

If they all passed on slot 1, they're fine so at least you know your ram isn't faulty.
No.
I tested them all in slot 1. The results where what was posted previously.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 12:40:58 pm »

Oh, some sticks with error? Then you have your problem there. RMA the faulty sticks, or if they still have the shop warranty go there first, it should be faster. Voltage issues normally don't show on the first mobo slot.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Computer Expert" with a broken computer! (*GASP* Update!)
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 02:10:09 pm »

Whoahoho!
I was googling some stuff about the OCZ series of RAM, when I encountered something utterly shocking. To me.

On every single chip, there is a sticker, in big writing is "PC3 10666".
Now, I figured that was the speed of the stick. After all, I'd paid out for some value RAM here.
Apon reading the OCZ site, I found a product page, which had the exact words: OCZ, Gold Edition Value Ram. PC3 10666.
That page lists the RAM as having a clock speed of 1333MHz.
I have been running these chips at 1066MHz for half a year.
Okay, so this probably isn't the problem. I doubt underclocking RAM would cause them to break suddenly...
But, if after half a years use, underclocking RAM DOES break it... Then.. Well, do tell me.

Going to run another memory test, with a correct clock speed.

Edit: I kid you not, the PC3 10666 is run at 1333MHz.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 02:14:52 pm by Fayrik »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 02:22:58 pm »

They have a horrible clock rate, but running them at lower mhz wouldn't hurt them one bit. Your voltage wouldn't hurt them either, even tho they run at the 'acceptable' ddr3 max voltage.

Either way:
Memory
All Memory Products: Lifetime Warranty

If you keep getting errors, send an RMA ticket to them and get those sticks exchanged.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 02:31:59 pm »

I think I'll check my supplier first, and see if they'll replace them.

Also, running another memory test on Stick 1. The only stick to pass last time.
65% of the test is done, already it has 16 errors.

This is far too suspicous to just be memory breaking of it's own accord.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »

See if your supplier can test your motherboard with some other memory sticks and test your sticks on some other motherboard... Then you can be sure of what you need to RMA.
Pages: 1 [2]