Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corpses question  (Read 613 times)

Ery_Kray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Corpses question
« on: October 31, 2010, 04:31:53 pm »

Bonjour, people,

Passing from 28 version to 31 (now playing 0.31.14 Mayday's graphical one), i found that e.g. goblins' corpses being put into refuse stockpile do not become the stack of bones after some time, as it was in 28th version, instead its become partial skeletons, which are completely useless and do not disappear from stockpile. In earlier version i used goblin bones to produce bone bolts to train my marksdwarves, and now i can't do it this way. Also not disappearing are withered plants - they are in a stockpile since first year for five yearsor so.

Thus question is: should it be so? Should everything around the fortress be filled up with goblins' partial skeletons, which either can be stored forever in refuse stockpile? Or maybe i missed smth and this is fixed in 0.31.16?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Corpses question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 04:50:53 pm »

Plants not in stockpiles failing to wither and rot away is a bug which was fixed in 31.16.  The skeletons of sentient enemies being useless appears to be a feature, and is probably here to stay.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ery_Kray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:09:30 pm »

Thanks for an answer.
"Plants not in stockpiles failing to wither and rot away..." - But they are in the stockpile and still not rot away for ages.
"The skeletons of sentient enemies being useless appears to be a feature, and is probably here to stay."  - Nothing but an idea came to me. Maybe in future it'll be better to have a possibility to bury them?.. Or all one can do with them is to dump them into magma :arrgh: ?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:17:15 pm »

Plants not in *food* stockpiles are supposed to whither and rot away.  In the latest version, they will rot away if they're in a refuse stockpile, but they'll still last forever in a plant stockpile.  This appears to be the intended behavior.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:36:16 pm »

"Plants not in stockpiles failing to wither and rot away..." - But they are in the stockpile and still not rot away for ages.

Are you using 31.16? Up until that version withered plants, which you typically get because your farmers don't pick your crops fast enough, would never rot away whether they were in a refuse pile or not.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:09:16 am »

Are you using 31.16?

...  ???  ...
Bonjour, people,

Passing from 28 version to 31 (now playing 0.31.14 Mayday's graphical one)...

Been reading long?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 03:52:54 am »

Been reading long?

I assume he asked - implicitly - whether or not the OP switched over to .16, since it has been stated that plants would not wither in earlier .31 versions. If anything, you could accuse the OP of poor reading comprehension, and not that guy.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:04:00 am »

Goblin corpses either don't revert to (butcherable) stacks of bones or it takes an obscene amount of time. Refuse pile of my six-year fort is littered with them and I'm still waiting for those from the second year to fall apart.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 03:23:11 pm »

Does climate affect the decay speed ?
I had a fort in version .12 in a temperate biome, and I remember hving been able to do things from goblin bones quite early.
Currently, I have a .16 fort in a freezing biome, goblin partial skeletons saturate my refuse stockpile and I still haven't seen any goblin bones item.

Or might this be related to a difference between .12 and .16 ?
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:43 pm »

If you wish to use those skeletons, change the raws to give dwarves the ethics of elves.
You will then be able to butcher the skeletons, and use the bones.