Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Most Anticlimatic Battles Ever  (Read 52712 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Most Anticlimatic Battles Ever
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2010, 02:24:24 am »

Pyramiding is fine by me (I think it looks cool), it's just yelling. Also, there are no trolls here methinks; we creep them out by discussing how to best harvest merperson bones and extract goblin brains.

Yes there are. Once you've been here a while you'll see plenty.

[HINT: They mostly hang out in GD and Forum Games.]
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2010, 10:35:23 am »

I remember one particular message "The cat child is no longer enraged" which made me look at the combat log (typically I don't bother) - little bastard bit the head off a kobold.   :o

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2010, 01:27:25 pm »

A Werewolf that killed all my dwarves with few problems. The only creatures that seemed to be able to wound it were my war dogs, although those didn't live long either (although outliving the rest of my dwarves by dragging themselves across the map). :(

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2010, 05:47:42 am »

Seems there's a skeletal cyclops lair near my current fort.

Year 4 : One of those beasts appears near my front door, and start pursuing my fisherdwarves into my barbacane.
I send the door squad (5 poorly trained, leather armored melee fighters) to hold back the fell creature, so that the civilians have time to get to the shelter.
The monster tries to grab a rookie (who immediately becomes expert fighter - grand master wrestler), gets an iron hammer in the face, and crumbles. The end.

Year 5 : Another one comes, and starts lumbering toward my herbalists. I sound the alarm and mobilize the military. And then it dies a few steps from one of my civilians. Without a single entry in the combat report. I think it simply caught its foot in the underbrush, fell, and shattered on impact.

Let's just say I'm not impressed anymore by the undead menace.  ??? Next year's cyclop's won't even have the honour of triggering the ambush alert. I'll let the guard dogs deal with them

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2010, 07:32:23 am »

I had breached the caverns and things were so hectic at that time that my dwarves didn't get the section I wanted walled off done in time before the resident Forgotten Beast found its way in -- which I didn't notice until it had already crawled out of the pump stack shaft and into the crafting levels. Panic ensued both on my part and within the fort. I knew the militia would never reach it in time.

Then a wardog and a normal dog killed the bugger without suffering a single scratch. That was no Beast, that was a balloon that the resident underground civ sent up as a prank, I swear.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2010, 04:37:51 pm »

Oh, I just remembered: My dwarf adventurer was ambushed by a bronze colossus that killed several other megabeasts during worldgen.
I ran.
(Later, I took a magma swim.)

Why did you run? You could've gone down in history for killing that badass colossus.
If it slew an entire race of unique HFS (admitadly only two) and every other megabeast that had died, not to mention several dwarves and goblins, I don't think my dwarf would have much luck.
Unless maybe he had high throwing skill and a fluffy wambler.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2010, 04:57:08 pm »

OneEyed McBeasty arrives, a great muscled cyclops!
*Cage trap*

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2010, 06:24:42 pm »

1. I pop open the caverns in year one. Troglodytes arrive. Hilarity ensues. Then my expedition leader/woodcutter slays seven without them trying to escape.

2. A titan arrives in the middle of my first siege in a new fort. I kill off the siege no problem and gird myself for casulties. It dies in the first stonefall trap.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2010, 01:52:31 pm »

Fortress mode: a kobold ambush arrives to a fort protected by three animals pilfered from the last elven caravan. The ambushers are mostly bowkobolds and slaughter the animals in a couple frames. I prepare for a quick release for all the dwarves, then one kobold makes the mistake of dropping into the fort proper, gets mobbed by the entire fortress, and the rest of the kobolds break and run.

Adventurer mode: Badass Bronzequest the hammerdwarf destroys everything in his path with his iron war hammer, then goes to storm a goblin fortress. On his way he gets attacked by a buzzard and dodges it off a huge drop into a shallow river.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2010, 02:45:35 pm »

I had a novice swordsdwarf behead a bronze colossi with his masterwork obsidian sword.  That was back in 40d though.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:07 pm »

I had a novice swordsdwarf behead a bronze colossi with his masterwork obsidian sword.  That was back in 40d though.

Was it, by any chance, made by a fluffy wambler?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Plutoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2010, 02:44:50 am »

In 31.16, with extra kinda of Megabeasts..

One arrived via the caverns, made of steam.  I have a little narrow pathway with cage traps, weapon traps, a war dog, and then some more traps just in case.  Caught quite a lot of the cavern wildlife, I'll say.

This beast though, I put my military at the ready, just wrote the war dog off as a sacrifice.  Needless to say, this war dog had to prove his worth, and that he did - taking down the megabeast singlehandedly, without a single wound.

I was impressed.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2010, 04:22:28 pm »

First ambush in my current fortress.

I was still smithing armor for my ten-dwarf squad.
My only macedwarf was caught outside drinking water by four out of six swordgoblins. She had refused to pick up her set of armor, instead deciding to drink water, as stated before.
She was my most skill soldier, though, so I was curious as to what would happen. (While I sent for the rest of the squad to go help her.)

The first goblin hits her leg and breaks it. The second goblin breaks her hand.
She passes out. They proceed hitting her head to finish her off, but they can't get through her iron helmet (their weapons were made of copper).
The rest of the dwarves arrive and kill the goblins with ease.

She's bedridden for a few months, and then, in winter, after surviving an infection and all surgery/healthcare, she dies of thirst because my dwarves decide she should only drink water.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2010, 04:30:18 pm »

Dragon. Bored, casual marksdwarf. One shot, one kill.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »

i had a recent one where i had forgotten to secure a section of the caverns and let a giant toad in.  I was worried because i had no traps prepped or even armor for a military.  while i rushed to draft a miner and a woodcutter, the toad was engaged by a pet dog, the one animal in the fortress that wasn't an incredibly muscled and gigantic overall war dog.  The pet dog bit the toad in the head and shook him around, rendering it unconscious and immobile for a very very long time.  Then my miner came up and brained it in a single hit.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12