Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roguelike of the Year 2010?  (Read 3136 times)

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
Roguelike of the Year 2010?
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:25:18 am »

With Adventure mode updated DF should qualify to run for Ascii Dreams Roguelike of the Year 2010! Last year DF wasn't even on the list. I hope after the new release it'll change.
Any thoughts?
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike of the Year 2010?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 05:41:22 am »

wait it won 2007, and got runner up in 2008, toady hasn't even added any new adventure settings with out glassing most of the features so better luck in 1011?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 06:25:28 am »

Yeahno. Currently there are no shops. Temples. Ruins. Or clothes.

By 2011 we'll have those back, plus better quest structure and rewards, adventurer-created sites, MINOTAURS IN MAZES and goodness knows what all else. So I'm thinking making that list in 2011 will be easy, but currently not a chance.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:42:27 am »

Yeahno. Currently there are no shops. Temples. Ruins. Or clothes.

By 2011 we'll have those back, plus better quest structure and rewards, adventurer-created sites, MINOTAURS IN MAZES and goodness knows what all else. So I'm thinking making that list in 2011 will be easy, but currently not a chance.

But the release with minotaurs will come up soon. It just might make Adventure Mode playable enough, don't you think?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:09:49 pm »

That release will be coming in less than a week or two, (assuming all goes well), not in 2011. A little late in the year, but still a candidate for Best of 2010.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:43:23 pm »

Today's dev log sounds better than most roguelikes I've played. Maybe DF for RL of 2010? I don't see why not.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:25:35 pm »

wait it won 2007, and got runner up in 2008, toady hasn't even added any new adventure settings with out glassing most of the features so better luck in 1011?

It already wasn't nominated 999 years ago, and time isn't cyclical, so that's right out.

But the release with minotaurs will come up soon. It just might make Adventure Mode playable enough, don't you think?

Yes, but even once this stuff starts coming out, it will be quite a while until most of it works. I'm going with 2011 too, there's no way Adventurer mode will have enough in two months to make it.

Today's dev log sounds better than most roguelikes I've played. Maybe DF for RL of 2010? I don't see why not.

Tread light there. For most of the stuff he does have a good idea what he'll do once he gets around to it, but, as he admitted in the last Dwarf Fortress talk, some of it will be on there almost perpetually.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:10:59 am »

..and so it's 2011. With the features already implemented DF leaves any Roguelike game far far behind. Soon we will have Vampires, warewolves, Necromancers and armies of zombies. With the new release, DF should get that title!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:00:39 pm »

No dwarf civ, no elves civs, no goblin civs only Human towns and all he added is more Human towns features.
Unless the next patch comes out and adds back the different race town sites better not start talking about Roguelike of year.
not only that the peasants don't have families or history.
"body swapping and YOU!"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 04:40:38 pm »

No dwarf civ, no elves civs, no goblin civs only Human towns and all he added is more Human towns features.
Unless the next patch comes out and adds back the different race town sites better not start talking about Roguelike of year.

Most of the roguelikes have only a random generated dungeon. And DF is a work in progress - it shouldn't even be in these lists at all. But keep being bitter this way. Complaining about something in DF is all the cool dudes are doing nowadays.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 05:19:57 pm »

Most of the roguelikes have only a random generated dungeon. And DF is a work in progress - it shouldn't even be in these lists at all. But keep being bitter this way. Complaining about something in DF is all the cool dudes are doing nowadays.
that's what I'm talking about it's a good game of 2007 that being updated. This is would be having tf2 win best FPS of the year for 4 years now. Though this was a bump of an old thread.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:45 pm »

...ADOM's Terinyo is somehow more detailed than one of those DF human hamlets?!
Apart from  the various annoying, cliched fantasy types who spew magic at you, I'd say not. :P

Disclaimer: I love ADOM, just sayin' is all.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 10:54:33 pm »

Naw.

Maybe 40d or even 23a during their glory days, since they were basically "complete". Too much important stuff is missing or incomplete from the current version to even really qualify as a candidate, atm.

Give it a year or two and DF will probably win Rougelike of the Year untill the end of time.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 10:55:51 pm »

so was DF renominated for 2011 or how does that work?
do the creator enter his work or does some random shmoe does it?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 12:20:05 am »

That release will be coming in less than a week or two, (assuming all goes well), not in 2011. A little late in the year, but still a candidate for Best of 2010.

Well, wasn't that guy an optimist.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."
Pages: [1] 2