Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Roguelike of the Year 2010?  (Read 3128 times)

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike of the Year 2010?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 01:15:49 am »

I've yet to see a rogue like with as much depth and realism as Dwarf Fortress. But I can understand why people wouldn't nominate or vote for it : there is some lack of ways to play it, actually it's just fighting (which is still cool because of the fighting mechanics).

When there's more than one way to play it, and the world starts to be updated while you play, I think it will quite easily win.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 05:50:45 am »

I've yet to see a rogue like with as much depth and realism as Dwarf Fortress. But I can understand why people wouldn't nominate or vote for it : there is some lack of ways to play it, actually it's just fighting (which is still cool because of the fighting mechanics).

When there's more than one way to play it, and the world starts to be updated while you play, I think it will quite easily win.

Well, an awesome fighting engine on its own is still quite possibly better than a bland, generic fighting engine crammed in with a whole bunch of other bizarre features... All of which revolve around fighting anyway! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 10:19:18 am »

Well, an awesome fighting engine on its own is still quite possibly better than a bland, generic fighting engine crammed in with a whole bunch of other bizarre features... All of which revolve around fighting anyway! :P

Indeed ! ^^ But "bizarre" features can be very appealing, like spells, potion and stuff like that. Still, personnally i just love DF's fighting system. I was trying to be objective  :D

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 12:29:39 pm »

Adventure mode it's not only Fighting, it's also Exploring ;) And with the next releases that will come out in this year, there might be something more to do already ...so if not 2011 than '12 will do I guess :D

but really I think that winning that contest again, would make more people interested in DF, equals more donations for Toady ...just saying  :P

Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 02:39:22 pm »

Yeah I love exploring in games too. But actually it's pretty bland, apart from the natural richness of DF landscape. But as you say coming updates will probably make that more interesting, what with the profaned temples, cities and such.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 02:43:30 pm »

I really don't dig how if you explore an area, then leave, then come back, you have to re-explore. It should be grayed out like how it is when you move out of range, and then updated when you get close.

That's pretty much my only issue with Adventure Mode besides the "random kick to the head instadeath" thing, and that's not really an issue so much as a feature.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »

I think the need to re-explore is because the game doesn't save every individual tile, it regenerates those when you leave and come back to a random patch of wilderness or something else. Otherwise a world would be extremely storage space intensive. This isn't a problem for other roguelikes because their maps are tiny in relation to DF.

You can just chalk it up to adventurer forgetfulness.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 09:25:30 pm »

You can just chalk it up to adventurer forgetfulness.

The elves are on to something with the trees. When you're not watching, they move. And they rearrange the lanscape. It's to try and trap unwary adventurers who light them on fire for the lulz.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]