Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hmm How Magma-safe are goblins?  (Read 2145 times)

shadowzfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hmm How Magma-safe are goblins?
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:31:26 am »

Well.. I have this newly created fortress going and I thought hmm... I need something in case of goblins besieging me later on. So I went to work and created my masterpiece doomsday device (actually not really masterpiece but it sure as hell works). In any case I hope goblins aren't all that magma safe, all i need now are some gates to my fortress and ill have a full mobile Doomsday device.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Good levers are good, now any suggestions for what I may or may not do next in my newly created fortress? (This is before even my first migrant wave)
Oh, sorry if this is wrong forum btw, but i didn't really think this as much of a gameplay question as of a hmm new boatmurdered-style doomsday device, in memory of boatmurdered.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:36:18 am by shadowzfire »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Hmm How Magma-safe are goblins?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:25:56 am »

May want to use walls to block magma and up-ramps instead of down-ramps for an entrance to keep the magma from filling the lower area. to illustrate in a very shitty manner:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:27:41 am by Heliman »

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:04:13 pm »

Remind me to never trade with that fortress!
I can almost hear the elephants screaming already.

I'd probably have a two-square wide wall at the base, too, so that then you can have a two high wall at the front. Always works wonders.

Code: (Side Cross-section of Wall) [Select]
#
##\
Where, # is a wall segment, and \ is a ramp.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »

This is exactly what I've done. Right down to the ramp/wall entry. Except I have two magma cisterns beneath my main entrance, with hatched pumps recessed into the walls. I have a lever to undo the hatches and release burning doom. A test run showed it was extraordinarily effective.

Edit: Ooh, make sure you put a second layer of wall either side of those up ramps. Or goblins can just run along the top of the wall and into your fortress.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:56:43 pm by Kurouma »

shadowzfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 05:29:36 am »

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm not very good with doomsday devices yet, It's just a rough version of what it will be. I mean, this was only done in the first 30mins of fort creation.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 04:10:27 pm »

Replacing the floodgate with a working pump will make the thing a lot faster working.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:55:20 pm »

How you manage to build flood gate fast enough, so magma will not injure the builder? One day i wanted to make 4 tiles wide hole in my volcano, but managed to mine only 1 out, before magma spread out and made everything "dangerous terrain"

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:04:58 pm »

How you manage to build flood gate fast enough, so magma will not injure the builder? One day i wanted to make 4 tiles wide hole in my volcano, but managed to mine only 1 out, before magma spread out and made everything "dangerous terrain"
Build the gate before you breach magma. Also, 1 tile breach is enough because magma spread
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Falc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:56:52 pm »

Yeah, there's no way I can think of that will allow you to have a gap wider than one tile in a volcano, except at the topmost level. You can, however, easily make multiple SEPARATE breaches into the magma and then have them all lead to a joint cistern.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 05:29:14 pm »

Instead of immerging them, it's funnier to douse them lightly, then watch them crawl and bleed all over the place.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 07:45:18 pm »

Instead of immerging them, it's funnier to douse them lightly, then watch them crawl and bleed all over the place.

a man after my own heart...
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:06 pm »

a man after my own heart...

I almost choked to death laughing so hard! GOOD ON YA MATE!  8)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 11:27:46 pm »

Time for a Townbrush fun fact!

Townbrush Fun Fact: I've been solving my prisoner problem by pitting them in the magma sea. However, Darnen can fly, so this has mixed results on them. Usually they take a short dip in the magma, start to melt, then fly out dripping ichor and probably screaming before they eventually collapse. Though the Dwarves don't seem bothered by the melting, flying bugmen.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Johnnyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 03:20:01 pm »

Well.. I have this newly created fortress going and I thought hmm... I need something in case of goblins besieging me later on. So I went to work and created my masterpiece doomsday device (actually not really masterpiece but it sure as hell works). In any case I hope goblins aren't all that magma safe, all i need now are some gates to my fortress and ill have a full mobile Doomsday device.
Good levers are good, now any suggestions for what I may or may not do next in my newly created fortress? (This is before even my first migrant wave)
Oh, sorry if this is wrong forum btw, but i didn't really think this as much of a gameplay question as of a hmm new boatmurdered-style doomsday device, in memory of boatmurdered.

Can someone explain how this works? I don't see how the lava would flow into the entrance.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:33:17 pm »

Yeah, there's no way I can think of that will allow you to have a gap wider than one tile in a volcano, except at the topmost level. You can, however, easily make multiple SEPARATE breaches into the magma and then have them all lead to a joint cistern.
Mine out a large area where you want to breach, then channel out the last tile from the level above. Even if the edge of the pipe is vertical, the magma falls down instead of killing the miner. As always, other ways exist.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.