Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Function Loss: Heart  (Read 1814 times)

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Function Loss: Heart
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:39 am »

So, one of my dwarves recently suffered a little 'fall' in an otherwise controlled test to see just how deadly a drop of a few Z-Levels can be. For a little while, on the injuries screen he suffered "function loss" to his Heart. But he still survived (albeit with half a dozen broken bones). What gives?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Function Loss: Heart
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:52 am »

He got better.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:25:43 am »

I suppose it is, after all, Dwarf Fortress. I shouldn't blink at something like recovering from the loss of function of your heart.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:51:21 am »

I suppose it is, after all, Dwarf Fortress. I shouldn't blink at something like recovering from the loss of function of your heart.

Dwarves =/= Humans.

A human's most vital organ is his heart. Their heart pumps blood throughout their body and what-not. Humans can't run without blood in their veins.

A dwarf's most vital organ is his liver. Their liver pumps booze throughout their body. Dwarves can't run without alcohol.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:01:03 am »

cardiac arrest, in MY Dorffort?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 01:35:44 am »

He got better.

"She's a witch! She turned me into a newt!"
"Well I got better..."

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 02:02:13 am »

He was busy summoning Captain Planet. You can't use Heart when he's still around.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:50:30 am »

Dwarven defibrillators. Take a Dwarven water reactor and hook it up to some wires. You say 'lethal dose', I say 'Shut up, I am the doctor. Now pass me those pads.'
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:57:22 am »

Dwarves =/= Humans.

A human's most vital organ is his heart. Their heart pumps blood throughout their body and what-not. Humans can't run without blood in their veins.

A dwarf's most vital organ is his liver. Their liver pumps booze throughout their body. Dwarves can't run without alcohol.

Not true I have seen dwarves with function loss of the liver still walking around. Instead I would say that dwarves do not have organs, only blobs of partially solidified booze which vaguely resemble organs. The liver simply is where a goodly portion of said booze blobs amass.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 08:16:24 am »

Dwarves =/= Humans.

Not true I have seen dwarves with function loss of the liver still walking around. Instead I would say that dwarves do not have organs, only blobs of partially solidified booze which vaguely resemble organs. The liver simply is where a goodly portion of said booze blobs amass.
Livers do regenerate in RL:1 2
Quote from: Wikipedia
The liver is the only internal human organ capable of natural regeneration of lost tissue; as little as 25% of a liver can regenerate into a whole liver.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 08:24:00 am »

as it is most organs dont realy do any thing ,the heart just bleeds a lot when cut.

liver,stomach,pancreas,spleen and the kidneys are all just bags of tissue to get wounded.
fingers are the same
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58:31 am »

Dwarves =/= Humans.

The liver is the only internal human organ capable of natural regeneration of lost tissue; as little as 25% of a liver can regenerate into a whole liver.

The point was not whether or not they regenerate. Rather that if the liver is damaged a dwarf is dead. Since the arguement was made that livers are the dwarven heart. Also, /wooooooooosh
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 09:05:27 am »

Dwarves =/= Humans.

The point was not whether or not they regenerate. Rather that if the liver is damaged a dwarf is dead. Since the arguement was made that livers are the dwarven heart. Also, /wooooooooosh
And even if they ARE the dwarven heart, as long as 25% of it is left the dwarf won't die.
Especially my dwarfs, who bleed alcohol.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 01:48:36 pm »

Dwarves =/= Humans.

Your blood runs low enough on oxygen to be useless in less than ten minutes. Something like a can of beer lasts in your body for more like an hour and if you drink two cans it adds up so you'll still have alcohol in you for two hours.

Dwarves obviously have on the order of several months to regenerate their liver but a regenerating heart would only be any good for minor heart attacks where there's no full loss of function anyway.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:50:20 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 05:45:08 am »

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Pages: [1] 2