Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do exotic creatures not breed in this version?  (Read 502 times)

PorkRolls

• Bay Watcher
  • WHAT DO YOU MEAN OUR ROYAL GUARD IS CATS?
    • View Profile
Do exotic creatures not breed in this version?
« on: October 30, 2010, 06:18:05 pm »

EDIT: Turns out they don't, it's a bug that's already been reported.

Not sure if it's a bug, or if I'm doing something wrong or just unlucky. Has anybody had ANY success getting exotics to breed in the current version (0.31.16)?

In my breeding pens, I have the following creatures chained:
Alligators ♀ ♂
Tigers ♀ ♂
Leopards ♀ ♀ ♀ ♂
Giant Leopards ♀ ♀ ♂

And also:
Saltwater Crocodiles ♂ ♂ ♂ (still waiting for a ♀)
Jaguars ♀ ♀ ♀ (still waiting for a ♂)

I've had all of them for at least two years and most of them for four years or more. They're all Tame because I got them from the elves, but I haven't had a SINGLE cub or hatchling from any of them. Meanwhile, none of my cattle, dogs, or dwarves have had any problem having children.

I initially thought I had hit some sort of animal population cap, so I (spectacularly) dumped about a hundred cattle off my execution tower. No improvement in the situation. I still have a few dogs left wandering the fortress and they're still having puppies. 10 Dwarf children have been born since then, too.

Some questions:
  • You can see they're all chained and the chains are next to each other- is that too close?
  • I'm using Phoebus' version of 0.31.16, but the raws for these creatures are all the same from the released version. Could somebody with more knowledge than me please look at them (Alligator, Tiger, Leopard, Giant Leopard) and tell us if these creatures just don't breed or if they take a really long time to breed or something?
  • I don't have a Dungeon Master, and understand getting one is pretty unlikely in this version. I know you need one if you want to war-train exotic animals, but do you need to have one in order for them to just breed?
  • Is there some really obvious setting in the init file that could mass this up?
If this turns out to be a bug, I'll submit it to the bug tracker. Just checking first before I annoy Toady.
Thanks in advance guys.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:52:48 pm by PorkRolls »

PorkRolls

• Bay Watcher
  • WHAT DO YOU MEAN OUR ROYAL GUARD IS CATS?
    • View Profile
Re: Do exotic creatures not breed in this version?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:51:05 pm »

Even though it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the wiki, I created a Mantis account and started browsing. Found this:

0001677: Exotic pets do not breed

DAMN.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:18:26 pm »

You can edit the raw files and change any instance of [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] to get them to breed without the dungeon master.  This does not require a world regen, so you can do it on your existing fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:49:10 am »

• I don't have a Dungeon Master, and understand getting one is pretty unlikely in this version. I know you need one if you want to war-train exotic animals, but do you need to have one in order for them to just breed?
You can train some of the exotic animals if you buy them from the elves (it seems that they sell them already tamed). What you can't do is tame wild ones you captured.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.