Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Communist Dwarfs?  (Read 2991 times)

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
Communist Dwarfs?
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:59:22 pm »

I was just thinking, I read on here that "Dwarf Fortress Makes a Fascist out of all of us", but, I'm a communist, and I LOVE DF, so, can we make a COMMUNIST fort, called "The Army or Red" or something, is communism even possible in DF?
Thanks for reading, sorry if this sounds REALLY nooby or stupid, I'm new to here...
Sorry,
Comrade Jester
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:12:06 pm by Gr33kjester »
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: Communist Dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:07:50 pm »

Well... everyone works how he/she can... everyone noms whatever he/she wants, only 'buildings' (furniture etc) are assigned... nobles are not in charge...
I'd say every fort has this. But that's just me.
Also, I usually get lazy and don't build separate rooms for dorfs, engraving and decorating a huge dormitory instead. So everyone gets equal 'housing', too.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:23:51 pm »

Just enable all jobs on all dwarves, and each dwarf will contribute as they are able. You still have to pick between miner and woodcutter, but a lot of both could work.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:26:54 pm by AngleWyrm »

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 04:31:47 pm »

Also, a curious thing: it's possible to create actual communism in DF; not the cheap knockoff that was made popular in the 20th cent. That is, if you want to.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 04:48:04 pm »

Do tell, I'm curious: How do you go about it?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:07:39 pm »

Do tell, I'm curious: How do you go about it?

Everyone uses a dormitory, everyone uses a dining hall, everyone does whatever they are best at or needed for.  You could either make a special case for nobles, hope that they don't get too frustrated from not having their own room, or kill them all off in "true" communist fashion.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 05:08:54 pm »

Create even everything for everyone. Dwarves are ideal for this: they, unlike us in this world, aren't all that horribly envious, their economy model is downright horrendous... you see what I mean. And they can be all kept happy by satisfying their needs, which aren't that big.
Let them go about their jobs as in any normal fort, just make them all equal in terms of worldly posessions. Clothes? Make stuff of even quality - preferrably sort out the very best clothes and sell the rest. Food and drinks? Make whatever you want - they will all eat the same anyway, no difference between nobles and haulers. Accomodations? Dig out equally big and furnished rooms if you're feeling merciful, or build a big dormitory if not. And so on.
In my opinion, everything should be of the best possible quality in such an experiment - you want to keep them as happy as possible, after all. If you don't, then it ain't the real thing. Give every dorf a fully-furnished room, or decorate the dormitory with masterwork and artifact things, for example.
One thing that is off is champions - the lazy asses don't want to work and will be lying about until something hostile shows up, and even then they aren't guaranteed to go and kick its ass. Either keep your military unchampiony, or create one of those complicated trap systems that can capture or kill anything, for example the one employing GCS and cage traps.
Just requires a lot of work from the player.

Oh, and nobles - if everything is good enough, they will be happy anyway. If not, their loss, they will go insane from all this. But it will hardly be the case if you build everyone a room good enough.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 05:13:01 pm »

Create even everything for everyone. Dwarves are ideal for this: they, unlike us in this world, aren't all that horribly envious, their economy model is downright horrendous... you see what I mean. And they can be all kept happy by satisfying their needs, which aren't that big.
Let them go about their jobs as in any normal fort, just make them all equal in terms of worldly posessions. Clothes? Make stuff of even quality - preferrably sort out the very best clothes and sell the rest. Food and drinks? Make whatever you want - they will all eat the same anyway, no difference between nobles and haulers. Accomodations? Dig out equally big and furnished rooms if you're feeling merciful, or build a big dormitory if not. And so on.
In my opinion, everything should be of the best possible quality in such an experiment - you want to keep them as happy as possible, after all. If you don't, then it ain't the real thing. Give every dorf a fully-furnished room, or decorate the dormitory with masterwork and artifact things, for example.
One thing that is off is champions - the lazy asses don't want to work and will be lying about until something hostile shows up, and even then they aren't guaranteed to go and kick its ass. Either keep your military unchampiony, or create one of those complicated trap systems that can capture or kill anything, for example the one employing GCS and cage traps.
Just requires a lot of work from the player.

Oh, and nobles - if everything is good enough, they will be happy anyway. If not, their loss, they will go insane from all this. But it will hardly be the case if you build everyone a room good enough.
Hmmm, I might try that soon, with the champions, train others in The elf slayers "The Army of Red" so they are ALL CHAMPIONS!
Sorry, communist mind is slowly taking over...
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 05:13:43 pm »

A Communist Dwarf's best friend.

The above link being the exception, I tend to work on communist forts.
Everyone gets a 2x3 room, with a bed, a chair, a table, a chest and a cabinet. Smooth walls, and floors... What more could the average dwarf want?

>.>
<.<
Economies are over-rated!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »

Everyone gets a 2x3 room, with a bed, a chair, a table, a chest and a cabinet. Smooth walls, and floors... What more could the average dwarf want?

>.>
<.<

Brilliant idea Comrade, I shall implement this soon!
Comrade No 1 shall be happy!
But, we still need MORE VODKA!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 05:18:23 pm »

>.>
<.<

Brilliant idea Comrade, I shall implement this soon!
Comrade No 1 shall be happy!
But, we still need MORE VODKA!
Implement cave potatoes.
The alchohol from it is vodka.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 05:21:27 pm »

doesn't have to be cave potatoes either. there are aboveground farms, you know. just wall them in and have glass roof, if you have glass or bars if you don't.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:21:55 pm »

As for implementation, I usually give my dwarves even accomodations. But as I'm not building communist forts on purpose, nobles still get their rooms when they get whiny, and I don't have enough dwarfpower and patience to furnish everything equally for 50something dorfs. Usually the uniform setup is a bed, a chest and a cabinet. They're still happy, though.

But still, pretty much everyone is equal (nobles still build me walls and make my glass and such) and I strive to keep everyone happy. There's at least a drop of ideal communism in there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:24:46 pm by NewSheoth »

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 05:49:02 pm »

As for implementation, I usually give my dwarves even accomodations. But as I'm not building communist forts on purpose, nobles still get their rooms when they get whiny, and I don't have enough dwarfpower and patience to furnish everything equally for 50something dorfs. Usually the uniform setup is a bed, a chest and a cabinet. They're still happy, though.

But still, pretty much everyone is equal (nobles still build me walls and make my glass and such) and I strive to keep everyone happy. There's at least a drop of ideal communism in there.
I know how it feels, what about "Unfortunate Accidents"?

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 06:04:31 pm »

Making rooms takes less trouble than making a magma route through my fortress, or pumping water up/risking to drown at least one z-level of the fort, if not more, if one dwarf gets stupid (and it's dwarves, so...). The only nobles I get are mayors, and all they need are gear assemblies (they have a good value) in their rooms and their short-list of items which takes one minute to make - I don't want to implement the horrendous economic system, so no barons and such, and my fortresses don't live past the mayor stage generally. I also rarely have a working military (still figuring it out, relying on traps of various designs instead) and haven't implemented the hammering dwarven justice system yet. And the bookkeeper/manager only really require a single chair, which can be designated right in the dining room.
Pages: [1] 2 3