Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Awesome moments - Post yours here!  (Read 2293 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Awesome moments - Post yours here!
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:15:23 pm »

The most awesome moment (or, well, a series) I had in Adventure mode was with an axedwarf. A freshly minted adventurer, he set out to explore the world, training on overconfident cougars, lions and jaguars along the way. Then I wandered into a desert.

Cue an almost instantaneous ambush by a giant desert scorpion. It was my first encounter with one, and from what I'd heard from my adventurer was doomed. The scorpion smacked him with one pincer and grabbed him by his leg with another. The axedwarf then proceeded to methodically chop off its legs and smash it until it stopped moving, only suffering a yellow wound on the leg and another one on his left arm. He chopped the corpse up and continued his journey.

This wasn't over, though. After some time - still in the same desert - he gets ambushed by TWO giand desert scorpions. Even considering the outcome of the previous encounter I thought he was doomed again. My dwarf didn't think so. He proceeded to block every single attack by both of them with his shield (and if he didn't block something, his armour did) and repeat the dismembering procedure on both of them. One ended up with a crushed stinger and both pincers missing along with three of its legs. The other one had only one pincer chopped off, a very damaged thorax and didn't have rear limbs anymore.
And I repeat, in this fight he was completely unharmed. Against two giant desert scorpions.

But this wasn't over even then. After two or three tiles he got ambushed by yet another foolhardy giant desert scorpion. The fight ended in TWO STRIKES. With the first one, the axedwarf cracked the scorpion's thorax. With the second one, he utterly destroyed its brain. And then it was truly over, and I (and probably him too) felt absolutely awesome.

Nothing else bothered him on his way out of the desert.

Edited for typos.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:17:56 pm by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome moments - Post yours here!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:29:14 pm »

One of my earlier adventurers was particularly epic. I gave him legendary wrestler skill (this was 40d) and nothing else before setting off to destroy everything. I started in the town hall (this was a human) and on the level above me was the crossbow lord. I went up their and punched at him and he threw himself off the edge of the upper floor in a heroic manner to avoid my punch. This badly damaged his leg and I jumped down after him. I proceeded to take his golden crossbow and bolts off of him before a guard bursts through the door. I threw the crossbow in the guards face, stunning him, before running over to him and stabbing him with a bolt.

Beginning to flee I ran outside and noticed a horde of villagers enclosing upon my position. I walked forward, throwing bolts into the angry peasants as they slowly tried to kill me. Eventually I created a hole in the ring and ran through it, narrowly missing arrows from guards. I eventually escaped the village and proceeded to have my throat ripped out by wolves.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 06:21:21 pm »

Heh. Quite a story. Especially bolt-stabbing and bolt-throwing, and the ending.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:57:57 pm »

Mine was when I got bored and decided to take on the horde of Dæmons that had taken over my fort, I say my adventurer must have looked quite epic, facing down a flood of Dæmons, clad in adamantium with gold veined adamantium longsword brandished high, smiting Dæmons left and right I battled into the heart of my fortress, wherin was located the self destruct lever that would collapse the mountain on the evil horde, closing them off from the world, oblivious to their presence. Arthom Hidebane, we shall remember you always.
*Hugs*

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:19:28 am »

That's pretty badass. The best thing to do when you've done everything else.

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 11:46:41 am »

I spawnd as a dwarf named Oloc murderedwheel and had one goal in sight.
SLAUGHTER THE ELVES!
After leaving the mountainholmes i came across my very first elven town, then soon my very first elf. DECAPATION! Lots more of that followed as i killed every elf in that town. EVERY ELF. The kill count was 64. I felt proud of myself, and decided to move on to the next elven town, and proceeded to do the same thing, but this time, I lit the forest on fire and the entire town was engulfed in flames. Kill count now 156. I now move on and find myself in the elf capital, found the elven queen, and preformed dwarven axe surgery on her. I decided to run after 50,000,000 arrows were flying everywhere.

I fast traveled a little, got ambushed by a sasquatch, which strangled me to death.
The entire process was an awesome moment for me. :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:48:34 am by MrNuke »
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:41:51 pm »

Mine was when I got bored and decided to take on the horde of Dæmons that had taken over my fort, I say my adventurer must have looked quite epic, facing down a flood of Dæmons, clad in adamantium with gold veined adamantium longsword brandished high, smiting Dæmons left and right I battled into the heart of my fortress, wherin was located the self destruct lever that would collapse the mountain on the evil horde, closing them off from the world, oblivious to their presence. Arthom Hidebane, we shall remember you always.

That sounds so fucking epic.

Emliupp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 07:43:57 pm »

My most awesome moment was:
Crippling a bronze colossus with my superior steel sword. First left upper leg, then right upper leg, right lower arm, left lower arm. The final blow was a cut that separated his upper body from his lower body. R.I.P to the two recruits that got killed in the process. I didn't get a scratch.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:46:46 pm by Emliupp »

Emliupp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:50:09 pm »

Wow, that hero was a true legend. Sacrifying himself to keep the demons out of the world. Hope you did another fortress and that some of the crafters did an artifact that would justify his deeds forever.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 11:57:35 pm »

My best was rampaging through a village of elves.

I'd modded them to have metal.

I still killed 49 of them before I got shot somewhere vital by an unseen enemy.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Emliupp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 07:58:30 am »

I had an adventurer with legendary shield/sword-skill and superhuman strength. He was of to kill a bronze colossus with his bronze sword. After 100 attacks whom all glanced away he gave up.

The adventurer retired, I made some forts instead. Ten years later the adventurer began wandering the world once more, he visited an abandoned fortress and found himself a steel weapon. Then he went to the cave of the bronze colossus again.

But the colossus was nowhere to be found!

The adventurer became so depressed that he went back to the abandoned dwarf fortress, found a nice 3 story natural cliff, jumped from it. And survived! He climbed up the cliff to give it another go, passing out several times. When he finally was at the top he jumped again, and survived! He decided to attack his teammate. He got a wound that made him unable to walk - but he survived. He decided to sleep because he would surely die in his sleep. 8 hours later he was still alive. He jumped from the cliff once more; this time - he succeeded.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:45:49 am by Emliupp »

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 05:49:34 pm »

Got shot full of bolts. Exracted those bolts from my body and threw them at the enemy until they died.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 08:00:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Started to make trouble against the civ while surrounded by a flockload of crossbowmen & rangers...not the brightest of ideas, but what the hell. Actually was still alive & fighting even while being turned to a pincushion despite my decent armor & best efforts to use tress as cover. Trying to pull out a bolt actually crashes the game though...guess all the simultaneous bolt firing & stabbing happening at the same time is eventually too much.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...