Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best technique to get levers pulled ASAP?  (Read 2252 times)

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best technique to get levers pulled ASAP?
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:21:26 pm »

Soon, I'm going to implement a bunch of levers into my fortress. At the moment, I'm considering putting the levers in my dining hall. But I'm worried that even though there are a lot of dwarves in that area, everyone has a job already and so the lever wont get pulled.

What do you guys do in order to ensure a lever gets pulled ASAP?

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best technique to get levers pulled ASAP?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:46:24 pm »

Put it in a tomb assigned to a noble, set the profile to allow only the noble, lock the door when the noble is in the room, unassign the tomb, wait.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:50:59 pm »

I've never, ever had a situation where there wasn't an unoccupied dwarf hanging around my meeting zone. You'll be fine.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:53:46 pm »

I either put them in my meeting hall or I assign a small group of dwarfs to a lever room(if this is what you want you simply have to make a food stockpile+a few beds and then make it a borrow and assign all dwarf to it).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 02:08:48 pm »

I make sure I have no idlers and I still get levers pulled pretty fast when I put them at my central backbone of travel - be it some grand staircase or a long ramp down to the sea.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »

Putting it in the meeting hall seems to work, but then again I had a few idlers because I wasnt paying attention.
I like Psieye's idea, might try it sometime.

Just a note for thijser: when talking about multiple dwarves, say "dwarves" not "dwarf".

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 02:52:48 pm »

Putting it in the meeting hall seems to work, but then again I had a few idlers because I wasnt paying attention.
I like Psieye's idea, might try it sometime.

Just a note for thijser: when talking about multiple dwarves, say "dwarves" not "dwarf".

I believe both ways are correct.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 03:06:47 pm »

indeed, both are correct.

One of the problems with lever-pulling is you never know which idle dwarf will get the job -- it could be one all the way across the fortress instead of the one standing right next to it.

If you are building something that requires levers to be pulled immediately when you give the order, then I would suggest having 2-3 dedicated lever-pullers with no jobs, and stick the levers in the dining hall, and change the profile to only accept the lever-pullers.  There should always be one of them hanging around, so it should be pulled pretty fast.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:37:03 pm »

Variant: some jobs are best done in isolation, like decorating. Get all your decorators together, put them in a burrow, have them decorate stuff, eat, drink and sleep in the burrow while everyone keeps them supplied. Have the levers be pulled from here and profile them so only these dwarves have permission. Now when you need an immediate lever pull, you can just suspend all the decorating jobs and your dwarves will pull immediately.

Because idlers in a dining room might decide it's a good time to start a party, which screws up your immediate lever pulling mechanism.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:35:51 pm »

In my experience it does seem to look for the closest dwarf. However I never properly experimented with it. However if I have a lever I need to get pulled and then order it to be pulled again a few seconds after it was pulled the same dwarf will react.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 06:41:47 pm »

I think it does do the closest, in the same way a craftsdwarf chooses the closest rock to use.

I.E. as the dwarf digs, not pathing distance.  Depending on your fort, there could be a HUGE difference.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 02:11:53 am »

In my experience, its best have some sort of control room
Think GLADoS

1 dwarf in a room with over 9000 levers, a single tile of "food stockpile" with a hole above it, a bed, a table, and a chair
you drop down food and booze to him from a hole in the ceiling so all the booze/food lands on the food stockpile, therefore never going off
You also might want to keep a couple rocks lying around for him, in case of fun, you can wall him off, and he can keep you alive until the next wave of migrants comes along
Also make sure he doesn't have any friends when you put him in :P

I think dwarf wiki has something like it somewhere
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 02:16:30 am »

Actually, the correct plural of dwarf is in fact dwarrow.

Just sayin.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 03:28:52 am »

Tolkien only ever used that plural once in his books though, in Dwarrowdelf, the anglicised dwarven word for moria

in every other occlusion he uses "dwarves" as the plural

Just sayin.
=]
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:23 am »

According to Tolkien, the "real 'historical'" plural of dwarf is dwarrows or dwerrows[15] . He referred to dwarves as "a piece of private bad grammar".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_(Middle-earth)#Spelling_.22Dwarves.22

Just sayin.

;D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: [1] 2