Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gear assembly  (Read 626 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
gear assembly
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:07:46 am »

Can't be used as a splitter? If I have a row of them, will they transfer power to axles in different directions along the row?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: gear assembly
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:31:22 am »

I believe that's one of the things they're for.

Unless you mean between two axles running parallel to each other with the gear in the middle? Because I don't think it works like that. But gear assemblies transmit power in 6 directions, NSEW to other gears or horizontal axles(if their endpoint attaches to it), and U or D through open space(floors block, I think) to a gear or verticle axle.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:37:02 pm »

Hm, maybe my problem isn't the machine but the layout I'm building it in. I have one gear mounted over another down a slope, trying to plant a gear on a slope directly beside it, but get the 'No access' error. There has to be access, my miners are walkinng right through it. I could probably line axles and gears right back to it, but if there's a problem with the initial connection, are the two gears even going to communicate?

Falc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:47:02 pm »

Your dwarfs need to be able to stand on a tile next to the one they're building the gear assembly in, if I'm not mistaken...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 01:12:24 pm »

Orthagonally? I mean the tile they're standing on to build it from, it can't be a diagonal direction?

EDIT: If I can't build one simply to the side in this situation, but I'm able to mount a gear in the same place linked from above, will the two gears communicate?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:26:28 pm by Uzu Bash »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »

Gears, like any other building or construction, can't be built from a diagonal space.  A dwarf has to be able to stand right next to it to build it.

Gears automatically connect to any other gear adjacent, or located directly above or below them, provided there isn't a floor between them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.