Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A few goblins killed 6 dwarfes in adamantite armor  (Read 3664 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: A few goblins killed 6 dwarfes in adamantite armor
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 01:55:31 pm »

Now, think about it. The DF battle whips and lashes are basically razor-sharp and at least as heavy as a hammer. Lightsaber much.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 02:01:32 pm »

Now, think about it. The DF battle whips and lashes are basically razor-sharp and at least as heavy as a hammer. Lightsaber much.
Whips in real life have a very centralized contact point. That's what causes the extreme pain.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 02:03:14 pm »

So the DF whips are more like flexible extended maces. Weird.

They're still razor-sharp, though, at least they have a narrow impact point.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 02:20:56 pm »

nothing beats seeing him knock arrows and bolts out of the air with the whip.
What? Is that an embellishment, or does that really happen? If the latter, I demand screenshots, because that's fricken awesome.
I'm betting it actually happened - it's possible to use your weapon to parry attacks and even bat projectiles out of the air. Try putting an experienced fighter in a danger room without his shield and you'll see it in the combat report (for some odd reason, upright spikes are treated as being thrown at their target).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 02:22:49 pm »

I've seen goblins bash bolts out of the air with their weapons when they tried to ambush a caravan. Didn't help them much, though.

Edit: on the topic of whips, SkyRender put it best in the 'Lashers?' thread: DF whips act like bullets attached to a rubber band.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:26:48 pm by NewSheoth »

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 04:05:18 pm »

Training your own lashers won't be terribly useful unless you're somehow facing adamantine-clad opponents: Whips' most problematic property is that they defeat even the best armour in the game; bladed adamantine weapons are probably better goblin killers if they just need to cut through iron.
Whips may be better than hammers of equal quality for your dwarves, but usually there isn't much of a functional difference unless you're fighting something extreme like a bronze colossus. As for taking limbs off: that's probably scourges... which are nowhere near as problematic and almost strictly inferior to morningstars.

The value entries are realistic, the problem is that the game assumes the full weight of a weapon is behind a blow. This is not the case for flexible weapons - for morningstars we should consider just the weight of the ball, for whips just the very tip of the weapon. If you drastically reduce the weapon size to reflect this (imo, being too easy to lug around is less of a problem than striking with 100 times the realistic momentum), whips no longer punch through metal armour but remain capable of inflicting painful and crippling hits against unarmoured opponents.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 06:59:51 pm »

An Elegant Weapon...

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 07:39:03 am »

... for a more civilized age. Not as crude or random as a crossbow.

It's worth repeating once.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 08:09:51 am »

Are you implying that goblins are more civilized? to the magma with you!
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 08:14:18 am »

No. I'm implying that the goblins are Sith.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 01:23:50 pm »

Whips were the very first man made invention that broke the speed of sound. The crack of a whip is a tiny sonic boom apparently.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 01:42:16 pm »

Whips were the very first man made invention that broke the speed of sound. The crack of a whip is a tiny sonic boom apparently.

QI Much?

But yeah, whips are nasty things. Quite how you make one out of iron I don't know.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 02:11:27 pm »

what's better, silver whip or iron whip?
and on that note, does plain silver maul do more damage then masterwork silver hammer?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 02:29:08 pm »

what's better, silver whip or iron whip?
and on that note, does plain silver maul do more damage then masterwork silver hammer?
A mighty good question, gentlemen! Let us find out, foooor !!SCIENCE!!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 03:16:19 pm »

Generally, there is no ideal material for blunt weapons... I'd probably go for silver whips because denser materials reinforce what blunt weapons and especially whips are good at, scoring telling hits through armour.

Mauls would be better than hammers against naked opponents but worse can openers and in my opinion not worth any embarassing size issues you may have.
Pages: 1 [2]