Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Berserk dwarf caused more problems than I expected  (Read 2727 times)

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Berserk dwarf caused more problems than I expected
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:52:56 pm »

So I had a dwarf with a strange mood in my dining hall, he couldn't make what he wanted. (he was a glassmaker, I have no sand or glass)
So I knew he'd go insane, but I thought that in the event he went berserk my war dogs who were in the dining room would kill him.

I was wrong. He slaughtered both war dogs before moving on to 2 dwarves and only injuring his fingers throughout the whole episode. I reverted back to an old save before it went on any longer.

So now I've got him trapped, and pre-insanity. He's in a room, and the only way out is through a forbidden door. While berserk, will he still respect door restrictions?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Berserk dwarf caused more problems than I expected
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:23:43 am »

Once locked, no dwarf can pass through a door.

I might be proven wrong however...

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:29:14 am »

No Ultimuh you're spot on the mark, restrictions will remain respected.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 03:12:23 am »

happened to me with afortress liasion when a multisiege blocked the exit .. he berserked and chased few kitties into my farm area .. good i had doors there ... so i sacrificed the meatballs and locked him there .. took allmost  a year for him to die ...

so its allway good to have many door segments :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:16:56 am by schussel »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 06:22:15 am »

I reccomend that you put cage traps outside the doors/replace door with them, then laugh as he walks into the cage traps. then you can do whatever you want with the dwarf in the cage, preferably don't kill him however because i think it would make people unhappy.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:30:07 am »

As lemon10 said, building your workshops so each one can be 'protected' by a single cage trap is the easiest way. Your dwarf will still eventually die, they don't seem to eat or drink after that point. But it does save someone having to kill him in a violent manner in front of everybody else. If it's the right time of year build his cage by the elfin traders and let him go :D

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:29:29 am »

a berserk dwarf can destroy objects, such as trade depots. i would not be surprised if they can destroy doors in their rampage as well.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 11:10:18 am »

He went insane again, and does indeed respect door restriction.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 02:13:33 pm »

I've known a case where a berserk dwarf destroyed a door. Ideally, build a wall in front of the door just in case he decides he needs to break an object and chooses the nearest one (the forbidden door).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.