Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reading civ list  (Read 871 times)

Laziezt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Reading civ list
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »

First of all, hi im sort of new to the game, but i understand most of what you can do in fortress mode. the only thing confusing me, for awhile, is reading the civilization list. for example, my fortress knows 5 civs, a serpentman, human, elven, dwarven, and goblin. with the serpentman, dwarven, and goblin, theres a P, for peace by the other 4 civs. with the humans and elves, theres a W by the other civ (humans have W by elves, and vice versa).

My best guess is that the humans and elves are at war, but then why is it my civ is at war with the goblins, but theres a P by my civ when the gobs are selected and vice versa.

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reading civ list
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:39:18 pm »

I believe goblins are always trying to kill you, hence the W.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:44:28 pm »

If you don't have a W by the goblins, you're not actually at war with them; they just try to kill you because they're jerks.

If you actually happen to be at war with the local goblin civ, then they'll send more and larger ambushes and sieges earlier, but due to their [BABYSNATCHER] tag, they're hostile even to people that they aren't at war with.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:57:28 pm »

When goblins show up with a line of red hyphens during embark (i.e. almost always), they're always hostile though never actively at war.

In your case, the humans and elves are just at war with each other but are fine with trading with you - if you manage to get units from both civilization on the map at the same time (e.g. both of their diplomats), they'll probably attack each other.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:38:02 pm »

If you actually happen to be at war with the local goblin civ, then they'll send more and larger ambushes and sieges earlier, but due to their [BABYSNATCHER] tag, they're hostile even to people that they aren't at war with.

This sounds purely anecdotal.  Can anyone confirm this, preferably with a quote from Toady?

Laziezt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 09:22:40 am »

Thanks for the help guys, but should i be expecting goblin seiges? or just ambushes/babysnatchers (which ive been getting)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:35:38 am »

Thanks for the help guys, but should i be expecting goblin seiges? or just ambushes/babysnatchers (which ive been getting)
In Dwarf Fortress, always prepare for the worst.

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.