Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limits on caravans - weight/value?  (Read 505 times)

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limits on caravans - weight/value?
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:02:54 am »

I'm wondering what the limits on how much a caravan brings are. Is there a maximum weight they can bring? A maximum amount of value? Both? Or some other limit.

I'm basically wondering I can maximize the stuff I want (i.e. leather, cassiterite, and high value ores/gems/bars which I can trade tons of useless crap for).

I've found that if I ask the dwarf liason for alot (like 20+) of different things with high priority the next caravan that arrives carries lots of those things and nothing else. On the other hand if I only ask for a few things with high priority (like 5 or so), then the caravan will bring quite a bit of those things but will also have some generic un-asked for crap.

This is about the dwarven caravan btw, it doesn't seem like other caravans allow you to ask for what you want.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Limits on caravans - weight/value?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:07:55 am »

Yes there are limits. I think it depends on each caravan and what animals they have though. For example I think a camel can carry 3000, while (rather weirdly) a musk ox can carry 2000 (according to the raws). Though caravans are likely to change with the overhaul on caravans that toady has talked about.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:41:04 pm »

The only limit is weight.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:44:21 pm »

The only limit is weight.

Thanks, so if I want the caravan to take up alot of my crap for a few high value decorative things, I should ask for expensive gems, or bars of aluminum/platinum I take it.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »

No, it's really pretty random in that they bring masterwork decorated stuff - I've seen buckets and ropes worth 3k, and I think platinum bars are only worth 300.  I think there may be a chance that cut gems they bring you can be decorated also, but their default value is also up to around 300.  If you want pretty consistent high value items, probably best to ask for trap parts e.g. serrated disks, although those may be made of low value metal too.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:01:04 pm »

Order the platinum and give them a lot of profit. Buying the platinum will free up a lot of space on the caravan.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:17:16 pm »

Well I should have said I want valuable materials that can be made into valuable furniture/stuff. Which basically means platinum/aluminum ore, and gems.

Not like there aren't plenty of gems and native gold around here but I might as well get some more. If I wanted to just get rid of things the magma sea is right there ;)