Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any difference between the stones except their name?  (Read 1349 times)

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there any difference between the stones except their name?
« on: October 29, 2010, 05:57:36 am »

Hi
All stones except Obsidian have the worth of 1,right?So,does that mean that they do not have other different values like which stone is the hardest (for walls) and so on?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any difference between the stones except their name?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:07:19 am »

Well economic stones are worth more too, those being your Fluxes

In practical terms though there is very little to choose between the basic stones
Their melting point is highly relevant to whether or not they are 'magma-safe' however
In addition most dwarves will 'like' at least one type of stone, using this for his bedroom door etc is useful for preventing tantrum spirals if/when Fun strikes
Their different colours are nice if you are an aesthetic kinda person
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:17:39 am »

Hi
All stones except Obsidian have the worth of 1,right?So,does that mean that they do not have other different values like which stone is the hardest (for walls) and so on?
stones have a BASE VALUE of 1
On embark, you can buy (in general) stones at the following prices:
Obsidian: Haven't checked
"Normal Stone" (including bituminous coal/lignite): 3 points/unit
Flux/"Useless" ores: 6 points/unit
Iron ores: 24 points/unit
Edit: these "points" seem to be directly converted to dwarfbucks, It just doesn't say so.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:19:21 am by lolghurt »
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:27:11 am »

Each stone does have individual values, such as weight, value, color, melting point, etc. However, most of the time these individual values don't actually affect anything. For example, a wall made out of pudding stone would be just as durable as a wall made out of slade (assuming you could build one). It would actually be interesting if in future updates Toady modified walls to be destroyed depending on the material they were built out of. For example, a wall made out of a weak material like featherwood could be destroyed by a building destroyer. But as it stands now, these values really only matter if you need something that is magma safe or you are building weapons with them.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:36:06 am »

Well if you are the kind offended by bright colours . Alunite and its colourful brothers are not for you.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:02:55 pm »

Isn't alunite white?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:53:30 pm »

Hi

Walls and other constructions are completely indestructible at the moment(aside from mining or deconstructing, which only your dwarves can do). You can build a magma reservoir out of blocks of ice and it won't melt, simply due to the nature of constructions.

That said, the rocks do have some differences, though they are hardly ever relevant unless you're looking for a specific thing. Aside from color and name, the most noticeable one is that each type of rock can contain different ores and gems. Another property rocks have that can vary between the different ones is their weight, which can effect weapons made from them(generally only happens with artifacts) and their melting point, which important if you are working with magma(Non-constructions made from certain kinds of rock including ice will melt in magma).

All that said, a rock is a rock. There is not a huge difference between the different types.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 02:07:54 pm »

Obsidian does have a bit higher value, notable even among magma-safe stones. If you're scarce on precious metals, obsidian crafts can be your best trade good and building material.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 08:07:57 am »

Obsidian does have a bit higher value, notable even among magma-safe stones. If you're scarce on precious metals, obsidian crafts can be your best trade good and building material.
isn't obsidian an economic stone, defaulting to unusable and only appearing on the stone menu if you make its max edge >10k instead of its default of 20k?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 11:02:22 am »

isn't obsidian an economic stone, defaulting to unusable and only appearing on the stone menu if you make its max edge >10k instead of its default of 20k?

Sounds about right. It's still 3x the value of the basic stones.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 11:23:34 am »

You can relieve its economic status, and if you've hit enough magma to produce it yourself, you may as well. As far as I recall, I've never had to do that, though. I've always used it like any other stone.

EDIT: Huh, you're right, it doesn't even appear in the stones list. But that never stopped me from stockpiling it next to masons and making magma-safe furniture and tons of blocks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:27:53 am by Uzu Bash »

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 01:13:31 pm »

It is not an economic stone if you have Obsidian layers.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 01:33:05 pm »

But marble is, and it you're digging it up faster than you could ever produce steel, you might as well build with it. Only 2x value, but if you're lacking obsidian and precious metals, and steel is far too precious to actually export, it's slightly better to crank out crafts with that.