Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 127

Author Topic: Die2Nite  (Read 174322 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Die2Nite
« Reply #1815 on: December 17, 2010, 09:16:05 pm »

Trust me on this, Foundations is key towards being able to scavange everywhere...

Clue, Waterpistols kill zombies. But its too costly to use Water Rations on it, so how do you do it...

I have currently killed around 100 or so Zombies over the last 10 days... We have half the map CLEAR of any and all zombies...
Each day a Section of the map replenishes, if there are zombies that count above 4, they are killed before the scavs go out and clear those zones...
Each day the Zomb Count for the next attack is only like 100 or so above or already below our defense. We have only lost people to thing such as not getting home on time or not waking up early enough...
We are on day 16 and haven't even started upgrading the pump, so we still have around 100+ Water Rations waiting to be recovered...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: December 17, 2010, 11:51:04 pm »

WTH? How? !?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: December 18, 2010, 12:15:28 am »

I am saying don't build the workshop and factory on day 1. Get your tower up, get the addition that lets you undeplete zones, and upgrade that addtion on day one. Many many zones get depleted the first day, you need to get the recharged asap. Day two can see the workshop and possibly the factory. You shouldn't need to be converting logs to planks before then anyways.

what do you build instead of the workshop and factory?

bare in mind that we'd also have the wall, watertower and seachtower anyway.

Workshop is fine in the first day, if you have the other things. I still don't really like the factory much.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: December 18, 2010, 07:08:14 am »

WTH? How? !?

one of the foundation projects lets you refill water weapons for free.

Although to be honest (most of) our scavengers are in groups and never really have issues with zombies counts, although I suppose that will change.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: December 18, 2010, 11:58:32 pm »

So, I'm joining the game. I'm of Hordes.fr, mind, and I'll be trying my darnedest to survive with my french reading skills. So, who should I be hooking up with?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Di3tonight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: December 29, 2010, 08:56:10 am »

Oh, jesus. I like this game. I honestly do, this game is pretty fucking sweet in that death isn't just a possibility, it's an inevitability. The website name even tells you that you're pretty much screwed and more than likely will get eaten in your bed tonight except if by some miracle 40 different people can work together and not get each other devoured by the hungry undead.

There's so much potential here that I don't see anywhere else. But there's just so many monumental screw-ups in the game that I can't comprehend what the developers are thinking. The major four:

- Subscription costs $15-18? a month for a game that you can only at best spend 5 minutes on each day. If you're not fucking up, you have around 18 action points per day. How can they possibly justify that price for the little content there is to be had? Nearly every single full-blown MMORPG costs less than that per month, or at least I can't think of any more expensive.

- Oh, I see. By making everything even remotely useful - whether in game or not - require paying that $15+ monthly pricetag. I can understand reserving special classes for paid membership. Cooking and other home upgrades, sure, that's a perk too. But being unable to post on the game forums, particularly the help forums? That's just blatant greed right there.

- Midnight in-game is at a time when most people in real life have stuff to do, at 5 PM. That means if someone decides to open up the gates and go mosey, or just decides to troll everyone by opening the gate to get everyone killed, game over. I guess if you manage to upgrade to a portal lock on day 1 and then move on to a piston lock on day 1 as well you don't have to worry about your daily efforts going down the drain, but in newbie towns that pretty unlikely.

- "We will ban you if you play on more than one account." likewise confuses me. Exactly what advantage does playing more than one account offer? Wouldn't they want people to learn the game quicker using more than one account, or buy Hero subscriptions for their potential other accounts?

If they lowered the subscription price to $5-10 they would get many more subscriptions and more players not scared away by the subscription fee. Have they given any response to any of these glaring issues I've seen just from about a week of play? I'm actually really interested to see the justification for what I perceive as blatant mismanagement on their part.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:05:43 am by Di3tonight »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: December 29, 2010, 09:05:15 am »

- Midnight in-game is at a time when most people in real life have stuff to do, at 5 PM. That means if someone decides to open up the gates and go mosey, or just decides to troll everyone by opening the gate to get everyone killed, game over. So there's an upgrade that sets gates unable to be opened for the last 20 minutes of the day, but not a clock or something you can rig to automatically slam the gates shut at a specific hour? What sense does that make?

Although I agree with your other point this one is hardly a valid complaint, this is just because of where you live. Bear in mind this is developed by a Euopean company and the size of the French and German versions are vastly larger than the English one. For most of their players midnight is close to midnight.

Also there is an upgrade that shuts the gate at a specific hour and reopens it in the morning, it's just that not many people build it.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Di3tonight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: December 29, 2010, 09:09:19 am »

Although I agree with your other point this one is hardly a valid complaint, this is just because of where you live. Bear in mind this is developed by a Euopean company and the size of the French and German versions are vastly larger than the English one. For most of their players midnight is close to midnight.

So ideally the solution is to set towns to the average timezone of everyone in the group, at least in the English version of the game. If 30 people are on the east coast, then midnight in the town is midnight EST. If there's 21 English chaps, midnight in game is midnight GMT. This seems pretty reasonable to me?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: December 29, 2010, 09:20:13 am »

Or just allow people to choose either town on their preference as I'm sure there is a lot of crossover of what people prefer based on their day (players who might want to log in from work just before 5 your time and midnight game time for example) :)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: December 29, 2010, 03:13:52 pm »

So ideally the solution is to set towns to the average timezone of everyone in the group, at least in the English version of the game. If 30 people are on the east coast, then midnight in the town is midnight EST. If there's 21 English chaps, midnight in game is midnight GMT. This seems pretty reasonable to me?
Not really....  I join a game... I expect time to work the same as any other town. 
Plus, from the looks of how they deal with the game, the whole website goes down at zombie attack time...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: December 29, 2010, 06:13:47 pm »

A guy named Di3tonight joins the forums to post that he likes the game die2nite... interesting...

Anyways, expecting the game to work around your schedule is kind of silly, especially a game like this. It really doesn't matter when you do things in this game, just THAT you do them. There are some situations where timing is important, if you are trapped outside or really hoping someone brings back some nuts and bolts so you can spend your AP on that one building. But returning to town 30 mins before zombie attack is almost exactly the same as returning to town 4 hours before zombie attack (other than you miss out on 2 auto searches).

Having people online to watch the gate isn't going to stop someone from opening it just before the attack. Griefers CAN do it no matter what and that fear is what makes the game interesting.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: December 29, 2010, 07:58:19 pm »

My solution is to have the attack occur every 12 hours instead of every 24. Then everybody can be fairly equally inconvenienced!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: December 29, 2010, 08:41:09 pm »

My solution is to have the attack occur every 12 hours instead of every 24. Then everybody can be fairly equally inconvenienced!

Why stop there? if you had attacks every hour you could cause everyone no end of pain :)

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: December 29, 2010, 08:42:24 pm »

Why stop there? if you had attacks every hour you could cause everyone no end of pain :)
And if you don't wake up every two hours into your sleep you die of dehydration, yayness!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: December 31, 2010, 08:45:56 am »

And if you don't wake up every two hours into your sleep you die of dehydration, yayness!
Saves you worrying about the third attack though ;)
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 127