Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring?  (Read 622 times)

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring?
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:00:51 pm »

This is so annoying... I have a squad of 9 dwarves as my defense, I've had them set to the Active/Training alert level and have a barracks assigned and have wooden training weapons but I see no training. On the "u" screen it says they can't follow order. Is there something I'm missing? They are set to leather armor uniform but aren't getting the weapons to spar.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I need them to train before any goblins come, my kittens couldn't stop those rodents. D:

bleh.fu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:03:23 pm »

On the wiki, it recommends creating squad sizes of 3-4, as apparently, they'll often wait for all members to be present before training (I can't confirm this). I noticed that my dorfs only seem to spar once they've reached a certain general level of skill; until that point they seem content with shield, dodging demonstrations et al.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:44:22 am »

Might be worth checking the order and see how many dwarves are set as the minimum for training and any other orders you've created. Seems to work best if the minimum is set to < half of the dwarves in the squad as that allows them to carry out the order even when some of the squad are busy drinking/sleeping.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 04:12:41 am »

Sparring only seems to occur when the skill levels of your dwarves are at a certain level. Dabbling and novice soldiers (and a little bit above that) will only do individual drills. Unless the squad leader's level of a certain skill is sufficient enough for them to host a demonstration of said skill.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:48:33 am »

In addition sparring seems to happen most when

A) the 2 dwarves have equal or near-equal skill
B) (Possibly) The squad commander has a personality that leads him to be a bit more of a risk-taker

My McLegendaries spar with each other all day long (see A)
My newbie recruits do individual drills, like the guy above me said, dabblers dont spar much, but since they train up together theyll often begin sparring once a pair hit adequate or so
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:28:11 am »

Okay, so when they're standing in the baracks they might be training solo? That's good to know. Also I set the minimum spar number to three because I heard if it's set to max they never eat. Lastly, how do I check the order they were given? Isn't that on the "o" screen or something?

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 07:35:46 am »

Sparring only seems to occur when the skill levels of your dwarves are at a certain level. Dabbling and novice soldiers (and a little bit above that) will only do individual drills. Unless the squad leader's level of a certain skill is sufficient enough for them to host a demonstration of said skill.

In addition sparring seems to happen most when

A) the 2 dwarves have equal or near-equal skill
B) (Possibly) The squad commander has a personality that leads him to be a bit more of a risk-taker

My McLegendaries spar with each other all day long (see A)
My newbie recruits do individual drills, like the guy above me said, dabblers dont spar much, but since they train up together theyll often begin sparring once a pair hit adequate or so

That doesn't entirely match my own experience - I've had legendary squad leaders spar with fresh recruits after leading just a few demonstrations (and managed to train up said recruits very quickly), and none of them seem to be risk-takers.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 08:35:19 am »

I'm very new to this game and it seems that the same things that make it very fun make you want to pull your hair out... I guess that's because losing is fun!

What does a sparring look like? Two dwarves standing beside each other in barracks?

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:40:47 am »

I'm very new to this game and it seems that the same things that make it very fun make you want to pull your hair out... I guess that's because losing is fun!

What does a sparring look like? Two dwarves standing beside each other in barracks?

Yup, pretty much. You can check their jobs in the units screen ("v", put cursor on dwarf, "g", look on top of the skill list). You can also use this to check if a dwarf in the barracks is doing an "individual combat drill"

Also, if a sparring match occurs, a blue "S" will pop up in the upper left of the screen. Hit "r" for reports and you'll see a report of "The (insert job title) is sparring!"
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 12:56:03 pm »

Try to give Organizer skill to your squad members. You can do this making them managers for some time, till they get at least novice skill.

Better... select first the dwarf with Teacher skill Novice+. Student and Leader seems also good. If they have some combat skill... that should be enough.

Also ... try some help with lever activated spikes attack your barracks area non stop.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 04:46:39 pm »

omg. fail. Problem solved! I didn't realize I had to "q" menu the barracks bed and press t to turn on training. Unfortunately I ran across fun in the form of a two headed ettin beforeI found this out.