Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Something worries me. Maybe you will be worried now too.  (Read 1034 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Something worries me. Maybe you will be worried now too.
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:01:45 pm »

Sorry, I don't think I've made a thread in general before, don't hurt me.

Worrisome thoughts:

What are we all going to do when we are too old to computer do?
What is going to happen when the monitors start looking like bright fuzzy microwaves with cryptic little symbols all over them?
Are there any people who used computers into their very-late life?
Does anyone here consider themselves elderly and take offense?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Something worries me. Maybe you will be worried now too.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:08:02 pm »

What?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:08:37 pm »

The future!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 07:11:43 pm »

I, for one, plan on being dead. I am eating a pound of processed meat as I type this so I think my plan is on track.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:24:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:53:56 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »

No it is not. It is all raw.

And a update on that:

Oh god. Oh god the pain.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:57:34 pm »

You don't feel the need to preserve yourself?

I have this friend that eats his steaks raw.
Truly an art form.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:01:28 pm »

To the OP, drugs and alcohol.
(Yes, alcohol is a drug, don't start that)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:31:42 pm »

(assuming truly incurable degenerative disease)

Code: [Select]
___
|-O
| >
|___
/    [PIPE BOMB]~~~~*
\___

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:29 pm »

When you're too old to use a computer, presumably you won't want to use a computer, because the newfangled thing is too complicated and has all these features you don't want.

When computers become incomprehensible things, you'll either figure out how they work like all new things, or you won't be interested enough to learn, in which case you evidently don't care.

Yes, many people use computers even when very old. They're often not particularly good at them, but then they usually don't want to do much with them. A similar concept can be seen with cars: Very few old people do dangerous stunts or high speed chases in them, but quite a few use them for the things they actually want to do, usually meaning going to the store and back.

As others have pointed out, of course, there's no shortage of (often fun!) ways to end yourself before it becomes an issue. Want some more salt and fat on your drugs?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:58:36 pm »

I just drunk a gallon of a surgery drink they call lemonade.

My plan is going good so far.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 11:05:32 pm »

Oh. I like that response.
I mean the one about old people driving.

I just hope I stop using computers because I lost interest, rather than because I am not physically capable of it.

You people fix my problems more often than I get pulled over for driving on the stripy diagonal lines.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 11:06:58 pm »

Old people are using facespace and nookberries and whatnot now. They even play with their Wii! You underestimate them at your peril - they have decades of experience in forming social networks, and they just got their grandnephew "Hacking for Dummies" because they think it's about Warcraft. It's the future!
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 11:36:29 pm »

My plan for becoming elderly would basically be not much different from what I'm doing already. Pick a comfort zone/timeline, and adapt the newer ages with it, but still keeping a decent blend of the two (plus, being the designated 'fun relative', it's part of my reputation to have the cool stuff and fun ideas, and show that the past was indeed cool, and back it up to show youngsters that they're lazy bums). Now, when technology eventually goes to Jetsons-level-laziness, I'll still be doing most things manually for personal reliability, to be more fit than a majority of the future population and those within my age group (actually getting exercise and not letting my body atrophy), and also you can't beat good old-fashioned manual labor and the quality of results from such.

I mean, when I get old, I aim to not fall into the same pitfalls that would mark me down as an annoying elder; that is, unless someone is calling for it, and I can get away with it somehow (IE- I can get especially annoying behind the wheel, or downright crazy, though still within legal limits; or I can "get down and funky, bro" and be all "LEET" just to see them squirm). I think it would be nice to carry a cane or a staff or something as I become old as well; more/less as a weapon of self-defense and deception (and a way to get free rides up a stairway or cut in lines) but I prefer my wits serving as a better weapon/tool in social situations. Oh, and my cane/staff would have a cup holder on it or something, just for kicks.

All other things aside, I have no need to preserve myself in the future (aside having a decent diet). I prefer to rot in my grave or wherever I'm dropped, and let my body give back to the world, while my spirit terrorizes people that trespass my property. And speaking of rotting, my definition of a retirement home is a relatively nice house fully paid off, and not living with a bunch of jackass curmudgeons worse(-off) than I am. The only jackass curmudgeons I'd rather spend my remaining ages with would be my siblings. I've seen it more/less work out well with the last generation.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 01:11:30 am »

I'm hoping that by the time my body starts failing I can become a brain in a jar connected to a computer, I have a desk job anyway and could save a ton on rent by getting a virtual apartment.
Pages: [1] 2