Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should elves be regarded as an acceptable civilization?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Elf Acception (or not so much) Thread  (Read 14490 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elf Acception (or not so much) Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 09:39:18 pm »

• "Acception" isn't even a word.

It is a recognized word, though one that is generally considered obsolete.  "Acceptance" would indeed be better.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 03:00:09 am »

I think the elves will get many more fans in 3 or 4 years when Toady makes them a playable species. As for now, I am pro-elf anyways.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 04:31:22 am »

I didn't see what everyone thought was so bad about them, until I offered them a deal where they made a profit of 50, which they refused, and then stormed out.
A nasty accident happened when he crossed my upright spike traps, involving a big corkscrew and a ruptured liver.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 04:55:03 am »

I still think they're annoying, pretentious, depreciative bastards who eat their fallen enemies, abuse animals and look like gals.

But I'm willing to overlook that as long as they bring interesting animals, booze, sunberries and  take my useless crafts and crappy mechanisms with them.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 06:07:28 am »

The first step to Elf Acceptance is admitting they have a problem.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 06:30:05 am »

I still think they're annoying, pretentious, depreciative bastards who eat their fallen enemies, abuse animals and look like gals.

But I'm willing to overlook that as long as they bring interesting animals, booze, sunberries and  take my useless crafts and crappy mechanisms with them.
Don't forget the other shit they'll haul off for you: goblin loincloths, Clothes covered in stuff that will melt your skin, FB corpses that can melt your skin, Buckets full of magma (made of something other than wood), Clown cages, etc
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 07:00:30 am »

I didn't see what everyone thought was so bad about them, until I offered them a deal where they made a profit of 50, which they refused, and then stormed out.ruptured liver.

50 is almost no profit at all. That's just over the value of a single well-crafted rope reed rope. You need to give them more profit than that, elves or not.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:06:28 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 07:08:07 am »

I didn't see what everyone thought was so bad about them, until I offered them a deal where they made a profit of 50, which they refused, and then stormed out.ruptured liver.

50 is almost no profit at all. That's half the value of a single no-quality rope reed rope. You need to give them more profit than that, elves or not.
Well constantly spamming trade makes humans and dwarfs just trade for profits as little as 1 dwarfbuck.
The problem is not the "refusing to trade for a profit of only 50" but "stormed out". That should only happen if they were given wooden or wood-derived items (eg clear glass).
Personally, I hate having to make sure I'm not accidentally giving them wooden items sitting in the depot for use with one of the less fucking picky races.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 07:16:49 am »

That's more an interface problem. It really ought to be easier to not trade wood-derived items.

It's also possible he was using a really, really bad broker.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 08:05:59 am »

Don't forget the other shit they'll haul off for you: goblin loincloths, Clothes covered in stuff that will melt your skin, FB corpses that can melt your skin, Buckets full of magma (made of something other than wood), Clown cages, etc

Wait, what?  How?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 08:38:56 am »

I, uh, haven't actually gotten an Elf siege yet (they must be assuming their caravans and diplomats keep getting lost somehow).

Elves do what now?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:43:44 am by Samuel »

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 08:42:51 am »

I dunno, I don't seem to be getting liaisons from anywhere other than the Mountainhomes, so elves never bothered me with their 'don't cut trees' carp. I tend to trade with them for more brew (and I have way too much useless stuff to spare, since I prefer embarking on areas with sand and so have a glass industry). I generally ignore them and buy whatever I need from them; their caravans also saved quite a few dwarves of mine in fey moods.
On the other hand, I'm not a fan of them. Their caravans bring few useful things (except the occasional awesome animal) that I can't get elsewhere, while at the same time bringing ambushes - for some reason, elf caravans tend to get the largest goblin following. Oh, and they don't accept wooden stuff and get all emo if a wooden earring snuck into my finished goods. But I stopped making wooden crafts some time ago, so that doesn't bother me anymore either. The more goblins to dump into the magma from the cages as a result of the ambushes, too.
So all in all, I leave them be and trade with them for booze.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 08:53:44 am »

you know, magma is a great beleiver in ethnic diversity. Perhaps you should show the Elves to Ambassador Depot Magma trap?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 08:56:48 am »

I'd rather trade for lumber than send my axemen away from training to do it, but I do mind the elves coming in making demands without an offer on the table. Are we doing business here, or what? They really don't need anything I have, so I imagine the only reason they're trading is to exert some economic influence on conservation policy, so they really need to learn to play the game: you get what you want if you give me something.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 09:03:17 am »

Elves may be treehuggers, but I don't know about hippies... some of their ethics seem relatively soft (severe crimes tend to be punished by exile rather than death or violence), but not all of them - they have weaker taboos against torture and killing than dwarves.

Anyway, I don't mind them. I'll trade with them and defend them against hostiles... but I'm not bending over backwards to meet their demands. I mean, my dwarves get queasy at the thought of eating sentient species and I'm not visiting their foresthomes to yell at them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7