Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should elves be regarded as an acceptable civilization?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Elf Acception (or not so much) Thread  (Read 14497 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: The Elf Acception (or not so much) Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 09:34:34 am »

Oh, and yes, lumber. I don't know where do elves get that much lumber with their hyper-ecological policies, but I buy out all of it when they come to trade. Saves me the dwarftime I can use for stupid dwarf tricks.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 10:08:19 am »

Oh, and yes, lumber. I don't know where do elves get that much lumber with their hyper-ecological policies, but I buy out all of it when they come to trade. Saves me the dwarftime I can use for stupid dwarf tricks.

I just had an idea.  Maybe they send elves with axes all the way out to evil biomes and have them chop down the dead trees there... my respect for them would multiply tenfold if that were the case.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 10:19:28 am »

My problem is the way they just walk in and flat out tell you they won't allow you to cut down trees. Not "We respect nature and ask that you do to" not "If you don't cut down all these trees, we'll give you free shit", they just demand it, insulting you and calling you a butcher while they're at it. They'll probably do it even if you haven't touched a single tree, they just assume you think about nothing else than tree-killing because you're dwarves. They're not hippies, they're racist assholes.

This. I hate Elves becuase they are a bunch of pricks. Even when you do what they want, they will still insult you, believing themselves to be superior. They're not a bunch of hippies that just want everyone to love each other and live in peace They're elitist assholes that mock and berate anyone who disagrees with their veiwpoints. They always veiw themselves as the superior species. They probably would try to kill everyone else if they weren't so weak. Hence why I have no moral repercussions about killing them whenever they bother me.

Evles really aren't hippies since hippies don't try to kill people. Elves are more like eco terrorists.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 10:31:35 am »

My problem is the way they just walk in and flat out tell you they won't allow you to cut down trees. Not "We respect nature and ask that you do to" not "If you don't cut down all these trees, we'll give you free shit", they just demand it, insulting you and calling you a butcher while they're at it. They'll probably do it even if you haven't touched a single tree, they just assume you think about nothing else than tree-killing because you're dwarves. They're not hippies, they're racist assholes.

The Dev Team Thinks of Everything: if you've not chopped down a single tree, sometimes they'll compliment you (sorta), saying they wish all dwarf-kind could be as loving of nature as your fortress.  (Even if, as was the case for me, this is because there aren't any trees to cut down, save those beneath an aquifer).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:34:33 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 10:41:33 am »

I just had an idea.  Maybe they send elves with axes all the way out to evil biomes and have them chop down the dead trees there... my respect for them would multiply tenfold if that were the case.

That would probably mean that we're getting haunted, twisted, EVIL undead trees sold to us as perfectly clean-and-fresh lumber. Those elf merchants...
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 11:12:25 am »

Well, if that is the case . Good thing i sold all those used loincloth to them then.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 11:23:22 am »

I don't know about hippies
Well, nobody here does, they just like throwing the word around. Contemptible neo-hippes make it easy to forget that the originals were the ones who charged unarmed into riots against armored cops. Some did that for fun on a Saturday night. It's not just about 'peace, man'; there's the sex and drugs, too.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 11:31:18 am »

I still think they're annoying, pretentious, depreciative bastards who eat their fallen enemies, abuse animals and look like gals.

Have you actually looked at their descriptions in DF, ever? -- You should, might get a good laught out of it. I wouldn't call them "looking like gals" after reading some of their females' descriptions...
I have looked at some and they were, by human standards, ugly as a mixed goblin+troll+human+dwarf. Nothing like normal elves in fantasy. Or women, for that matter.

Makes me wonder about their genealogy...
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48:55 pm »

Rope reed has it's uses, but I sure don't want to plant and process the crap myself. I buy loads of it to limit the amount my thieving hospitals can bankrupt the silk production. And as with the rest of elf products, it's cheap as hell. I hardly have to empty a bin of finished goods to buy their full caravan out.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 12:08:13 am »

I've always felt the reason for the elves having so much wood and hating you for deforesting is the same reason a drug dealer will shoot a dealer who encroaches on their turf. They just want to control the lumber market.

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2010, 01:08:51 am »

I like them because they typically bring exotic animals.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2010, 02:12:04 am »

I use normally leave elves alone, give them a favorable bonus when trading, but...

If I have a dwarf that needs training in a subject... like let's say "swordsdwarfship" I may lock the gate, give that dwarf a recently purchased training sword, and then have that dwarf beat the merchants to death with it. After words, he'll get a cool engraving of him bludgeoning elves to death with their own merchandise.

(As a rule I make my broker do this.)

Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2010, 02:20:05 am »

The Dev Team Thinks of Everything: if you've not chopped down a single tree, sometimes they'll compliment you (sorta), saying they wish all dwarf-kind could be as loving of nature as your fortress.  (Even if, as was the case for me, this is because there aren't any trees to cut down, save those beneath an aquifer).

This game kicks ass.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 02:42:09 am »

I tolerate the elves, buy all their trees, barrells, cages, plants, and bags they bring even if I do not need the items inside them.
  Saves me a ton of construction for the cost of being carefull not to hand off any blood soaked shoes, and  bone, hooves, horn, wood, or leather decorated items, clears out my looted from invaders finished goods, and lets my captian of the guard sell some of his masterwork miniskirts.

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 03:01:58 am »

I've actually traded a lot more with the elves than the humans lately. I get loads of bears, booze, logs, and barrels from them while the humans bring shit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7