Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stocks accurate forever  (Read 1583 times)

Bulkor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stocks accurate forever
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

Sorry if this has been posted before.  I had a clerk set on maximum precision.  I drafted him after he'd been a legendary clerk for a while and assigned a replacement.  The replacement didn't do any work, and the clerk settings screen told me that there was enough work done maximum precision.  Things have stayed that way for around half a year; the stocks are still accurate and the clerk isn't doing anything.  I haven't tried unassigning the clerk but I have moved the accuracy settings around, with no effect.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks accurate forever
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

Did you give the replacement an office? If you didn't he won't do any work because the office stays with the old record keeper.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »

May be so, but it's still pretty weird that the stock records are still accurate after half a year, since your fortress has produced tons of crap...

Bulkor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

The replacement has the same office the old one did.  Also, I just tried firing the new clerk, and the stocks seem to be updating themselves now; the number of drinks is changing on its own.

Tacroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

Well see, that's what made the old clerk legendary; he designed a clever system of weights, pressure plates, pulleys, levers and round rocks with numbers on them that keep perfect track of the contents of your fortress.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »

Stock records are not perfectly accurate, they DO decay as you produce things. The  bug/feature is that they decay very very slowly.

Even creating 20,000 new objects (stones from mining out a whole level) it barely brought my records below perfect accuracy.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

Does the new bookkeeper have skill in bookkeeping? If so, then all is well. He doesn't need to do much work to "top up" the accuracy of the books.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Bulkor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

The new bookkeeper is an herbalist with no clerk skill, so yeah, I dunno.  I'm coming up on two years and the records are still perfectly accurate.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

Basically, what you are saying is that stock accuracy should decay a lot faster than it does. Also, record keeping should level up a hell of a lot slower too. Currently, it's like a free legendary.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 03:30:00 am »

Yeah.  At least pumping iron (read:  operating a pump that isn't attached to anything) tires a dwarf out so he has to take breaks.  Bookkeeping is just as fast but without the breaks.

RadicalThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 02:12:07 pm »

[ubuntu] Same problem here!

My Grand Treasurer (=bookkeeper in a 200,000 fortress) is idle all the time. In the nobles screen his name is white, and indeed he has his own office (though only needs a meager one). So the room settings are okay. (I also saw that he likes dining in his office). In the settings menu I also get the message: "Your bookkeeper has done enough work to attain highest precision." The stock menu seems to be changing on it's own, and is 100% accurate.

I also tried:
replacing bookkeeper
making new office

RadicalThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 04:25:00 am »

My bookkeeper is working again!

Gave him a new room AND removed the old room. The remove construction option on the throne that defined his old office did not work. So I guess something was wrong with his old throne. After dumping that throne however, the bookkeeper took his new office and started working.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:49 am »

My Grand Treasurer (=bookkeeper in a 200,000 fortress) is idle all the time. In the nobles screen his name is white, and indeed he has his own office (though only needs a meager one). So the room settings are okay. (I also saw that he likes dining in his office). In the settings menu I also get the message: "Your bookkeeper has done enough work to attain highest precision." The stock menu seems to be changing on it's own, and is 100% accurate.

I don't think theirs anything wrong here, its just that when they reach legendary they only need to set foot in their office for half a second or glance at a random stockpile a few times a year to keep all stocks 100% accurate.