Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Materials Modding  (Read 456 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Materials Modding
« on: October 28, 2010, 04:40:46 pm »

Hey guys, Korbac here (as the name suggests.) I have a question for you chaps. What actual material properties make a material, well, stronger? I ask because I want to create a creature with tough skin, bones etc. but with organic (not metal) materials. Do I need to alter [SHEAR_YIELD], [FRACTURE_YIELD], or what? :)

Many thanks, Dukes and Duchesses.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Materials Modding
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 05:20:06 pm »

I'm afraid I don't fully understand this stuff, since I've only toyed with it in passing once or twice.. But, from what I can see, these values don't just represent what the properties of the material are, but also use the same mesurement systems as the real world.

...Sorry if that makes little sense, but what I'm trying to say here, is look up Iron on Wikipedia, and you'll find the same values as there is in the inorganic_metal.txt!
Hopefully, you should be able to figure out the scale of these values from the values listed on Wikipedia.
(Not sure they'll list stuff like Skin, but hopefully comparison will get you there!)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 06:17:57 pm »

Been looking around at this, and it looks like I'd have to make some body plans to cover the new material...So that's a no go, as doing that for every 'special' creature I want will take ages. :(

Incidentally, is there any way to make this bloke and tougher / stronger, without changing his size or type of body materials?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the moment he dies to one man with a spear. :(

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:37:34 pm »

Two ways:

First, you can give him better attribute ranges:

[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:700:1200:1400:1500:1600:1800:2500]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:TOUGHNESS:700:1200:1400:1500:1600:1800:2500]

And such. Those ranges are describe as "++" in the creature raw comments.

The second way is to alter the local creature materials. After the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS] tag, add this:

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:SKIN]
    [IMPACT_YIELD:542500]
    [IMPACT_FRACTURE:1085000]
    [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:319]
    [SHEAR_YIELD:155000]
    [SHEAR_FRACTURE:310000]
    [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:189]

Which will make its skin about as strong as iron. If you can butcher it and want tanned maulotaur hides to be superstrong too, do the same thing for the LEATHER material.

The neat thing about doing this is that it only affects the current creature, not every creature that uses skin or leather.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:07:07 pm »

*Tears of joy*

Thank you, the amusingly unaptly named Untelligent. This shall be tested at once!!! :D

This has worked most joyously!!! Most of my attacks bounce off the beast's toughened hide. I've heard [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER] is worth a shot, too, above and beyond strength, so I'll try that out (make his horns more deadly.)

Double edit : Using the values from copper, iron is too strong! :D Might make his horns on par with his skin, we'll see how things go. Also the boosted strength definetely seems to have allowed him to break my bones more easily!

Triple edit : Boosting his muscles to iron and skin to copper have given good results so far
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:27:22 pm by Korbac »