Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are my seeds going?  (Read 1093 times)

aslambilal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where are my seeds going?
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:08:21 pm »

So when i embark i take about 25 plump helmet seeds with me and start a big plot for just plump helmets.

Eventually i run out of said seeds, not matter how much i brew and make easy meals.

How do i fix this?

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where are my seeds going?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:18:06 pm »

If you're cooking your plump helmets, that will destroy their seeds. Don't do it. It sounds like this is probably the problem. Make sure you don't have the seeds selected for cooking either.

If you don't set plump helmets to be grown all year, the seeds might disappear from the plot at the end of the season. I can't make 100% sure statements, but in my underground plots the planted seeds disappear at the season change if a different plant is set to grow in the next season. I don't know if "fallow" applies this rule, or if that's even the problem (are you setting them to grow all year?).

aslambilal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 02:39:51 pm »

So let my dwarfs eat juts plain plump helmets then right?

As for planting, yes each farm plot grows a single crop for the first 3 seasons and fallows for the winter season ( i've heard bad things about the winter season )

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 02:48:11 pm »

So let my dwarfs eat juts plain plump helmets then right?

As for planting, yes each farm plot grows a single crop for the first 3 seasons and fallows for the winter season ( i've heard bad things about the winter season )
what bad things? My crop grow just fine.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 02:50:40 pm »

I've never had problems growing crop in winter. Then again, I don't pay attentoin too well as I get way too many seeds and plants due to overskilled farmers.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:05:35 pm »

To cook plump helmets I usually brew them all (to get the seeds) then cook the resultant booze (along with something solid, such as flour milled from dwarven wheat for example, or longland grass if you are into surface farming).  I just have to make sure to not cook ALL the booze.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:19 pm »

I've never had problems growing crop in winter. Then again, I don't pay attentoin too well as I get way too many seeds and plants due to overskilled farmers.

The problem being referred to in this case is probably the fact that DF 0.31 doesn't prevent you from planting stuff too late in the season (back in 40d and earlier, it'd turn Red in the farm plot), and when the season changes to one that doesn't support said plant, all of the seeds of that plant that are in farm plots will disappear.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:18:38 pm »

When the season changes to one that doesn't support said plant, all of the seeds of that plant that are in farm plots will disappear.
Really?
I've never noticed this before.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:43:58 pm »

When the season changes to one that doesn't support said plant, all of the seeds of that plant that are in farm plots will disappear.
Really?
I've never noticed this before.

Embark with some sweet pod seeds, wait until right before fall and plant them, then watch the field full of seeds dissapear on season change.  it is a confirmed bug that is happening to everyone.  does not happen with year round crops at least, so above-ground plants and plump helmets are safe from the bug.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:18:44 pm »

Technically, the bug is not that the plants are disappearing - that's always happened (even back in the old 2D versions) if you were too slow to harvest them; the bug here is that it doesn't prevent you from planting them too close to the end of the season (by turning the plant Red in the farm plot menu).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

neil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 02:14:09 pm »

Note that this bug means that Autumn is the dangerous season for planting underground crops since it is Winter that allows the fewest crops.  Winter and Spring should be completely safe, since Spring and Summer both strictly increase the set of permissible crops.  Everything is safe in Summer except for sweet pods.