Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Physical features common to specific Dwarf civilisations?  (Read 1917 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Physical features common to specific Dwarf civilisations?
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:15:53 pm »

After repeatedly embarking upon a rather good site in my latest world, I have come to the conclusion that Dwarves in my favourite civilisation have similar appearances. These tend to include (with exceptions) long or medium-length beards, long moustaches, clean shaven sideburns and clean shaven hair, the latter being particularly prevalent amongst the women.

Eyes are usually heliotrope in colour, and the skin is almost always "pale taupe". The dwarves are usually thin, have deep or clear voices and narrow noses. The nose bridge also tends to be convex.

You see, I have spent a considerable amount of time searching for an embark party that suits me best: each time I would embark, I would automatically check each Dwarf's description and evaluate. I'd say nigh-on every time I've tried this, at least one or two Dwarves would fit this description.

After realising this, I decided to test this theory by embarking with a different civilisation. As I expected, many of the Dwarves shared characteristics such as golden eyes/goldenrod hair.

Therefore, if my presumptions are correct, is it possible that Dwarf civilisations have common appearances, rather like human ethnic groups on Earth?

If necessary, I can post several examples.

EDIT:

Perhaps questions wasn't the best place for this thread, as it's more speculation based. I suppose it's close.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:18:46 pm by Owlbread »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Physical features common to specific Dwarf civilisations?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:31 pm »

Most of my dwarves have tangled teeth and peach skin.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:08:43 pm »

I have found that your starting 7 will almost always share at least a few if not many of the same features. I had one group where all 7 had the same hair/skin/eye color and many shared the same beard and/or hair styles. The only differences seemed to be in height, voice, and some facial features.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 02:40:02 pm »

I have found that your starting 7 will almost always share at least a few if not many of the same features. I had one group where all 7 had the same hair/skin/eye color and many shared the same beard and/or hair styles. The only differences seemed to be in height, voice, and some facial features.

The plot thickens. Does this still apply to Dwarves throughout the fortress after the 7? If not, I suppose descendants of the original 7 could be picked out for their unique appearances.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »

The game does some genetic tracking for appearance/body traits, if I remember correctly.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:11:50 pm »

The plot thickens. Does this still apply to Dwarves throughout the fortress after the 7? If not, I suppose descendants of the original 7 could be picked out for their unique appearances.
Most of the dwarves migrating in from the same civ has similar features to my starting 7.
When I started a new fort with a different civ, the teeth and skin color were different.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:14:56 pm »

Most of my dwarves have tangled teeth
British dwarves?

*hides in a bunker* KIDDING!
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:17:10 pm »

It appears that there's more variety in the migrations. Though there may still be a few that share a few features of the starting 7, or even amonst each other, they dont seem to have the habit of all looking like they're related. I never really paid much attention however beyond the starting 7.
Im about to start a new fort here, so I'll keep an eye out and post the results of the first few migrant waves :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 07:23:25 am »

It appears that there's more variety in the migrations. Though there may still be a few that share a few features of the starting 7, or even amonst each other, they dont seem to have the habit of all looking like they're related. I never really paid much attention however beyond the starting 7.
Im about to start a new fort here, so I'll keep an eye out and post the results of the first few migrant waves :D

Thank you sir. Your help is very much appreciated, on account of my own inability to get on with these new versions. If this thread ends up dying before you find out, just give me a PM and maybe we can discuss it a bit more.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 07:25:22 am »

Whelp after two waves of migrants in Cloiseredurns I've found that all my dwarves have the following:
Light brown hair - pony tails are a popular style.
Bronze eyes
A square chin
Ecru  skin
Very thick lips
A somewhat con caved nose bridge

Maybe its just something in this version (31.16) but I could have sworn in earlier versions I'd get much greater variety than this.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 07:49:49 am »

Whelp after two waves of migrants in Cloiseredurns I've found that all my dwarves have the following:
Light brown hair - pony tails are a popular style.
Bronze eyes
A square chin
Ecru  skin
Very thick lips
A somewhat con caved nose bridge

Maybe its just something in this version (31.16) but I could have sworn in earlier versions I'd get much greater variety than this.

The biggest question I have about this is whether or not it's a bug.