Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about caverns...  (Read 986 times)

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
A question about caverns...
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:23:01 am »

How do you know at what depth they are? Since I always seem to find them at level 9...which seriously cramps my fortress size...
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: A question about caverns...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:33:48 am »

It's fairly random. Check how deep your map is. The bottom of the first cavern will usually be about a quarter of the way down. Sometimes, one of the caverns will be significantly larger than the others, which will screw up the accuracy in that case.

If all else fails, embark next to oceans or mountains for extremely deep maps.

Also, there's a worldgen option that controls the minimum number of z-levels of solid rock exist between cavern layers (counting the ground as layer 0).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:48:15 am »

Is it wierd that the ground levle was about 140, and the first cave was at 130? And that magma was at 91?

Just wondering cause it never happened to me before
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:19:09 pm »

Its weird but not unbelievable, cavern depth is as random as everything else in the game.  From my observation it seems that maps with a large z-variance on the surface also have strangely spread cavern depths, so embarking on mountains and oceans will indeed give you more room to work in.

But are you saying you have trouble with your fortress bumping into caverns?  That never happens to me.  You should just send out a team in the first year to break into the caves, reconnoiter them, and seal up the entrance.  Now that the map of the layer is revealed, you can plan your fortress around it with no problem!  For style points, I think its cool to run stairways through natural pillars in the caves to move the fortress deeper and deeper.  As Urist says, there is a worldgen option that lets you know how deep below the first cavern layer you can venture before you risk hitting the second.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 01:27:05 pm »

Assuming a mostly flat embark, the first cavern tends to be 10 Z-levels down from the surface. If you embark on a volcano, all bets are off.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:45:57 pm »

it'd still be as many levels below "surface" as it is defined in world params regardless of map. As far as cavern generation concerned, the game seem to consider "surface" somewhere quite related to the average height of the lowest biome on the embark site. If you compare  the earth layers as specified on embark with the starting layer of the cavern you'd find it very consistent spaced to the "surface."
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:53:05 pm »

On flat maps, I expect the caverns to be about 7~10 z-levels below the flat surface. My residence halls are usually located inbetween the 2nd and 3rd caverns while my workshops are either near the surface or down at the magma sea. Hotkeys help jump the camera to appropriate places.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 03:26:44 pm »

Also keep in mind that only the lower cavern levels are really widespread. It's entirely possible to dig in a place where there are no caverns; my suggestion is to dig down for sometime and then star digging horizontally. In my last game I find a magma tube before any cavern, for example. Later I discovered that I was digging in some kind of stone pillar, there were huge caves just a couple of tiles east.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:21:33 pm by Lord Vetinari »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »

I use a custom worldgen which places the first cavern layer 21 z levels below the surface.  I find that the default settings put the caverns way too close to the surface, greatly impinging upon my fortress designs.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 01:57:35 am »

I use a custom worldgen which places the first cavern layer 21 z levels below the surface.  I find that the default settings put the caverns way too close to the surface, greatly impinging upon my fortress designs.

I tried to do this, but I seem to have adjusted the wrong parameter - I wanted about 20 z levels to play with before the first cavern, but instead I got more than 60, I cant recall how many, but its a looong way down to the webs. And of course, my stupid wagon ended up deconstructing on some sort of ridge, another 15 z levels above ground level. Did the volcano maybe play havoc with my levels?
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 02:44:48 am »

Just build your fortress inside of the cavern. Problem solved. ;)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 03:23:18 am »

I tried to do this, but I seem to have adjusted the wrong parameter - I wanted about 20 z levels to play with before the first cavern, but instead I got more than 60, I cant recall how many, but its a looong way down to the webs. And of course, my stupid wagon ended up deconstructing on some sort of ridge, another 15 z levels above ground level. Did the volcano maybe play havoc with my levels?
The Volcano might have played havoc with your levels, I'm not entirely sure. But the parameter just sets the Minimum difference between first cavern and surface, it depends on luck, good or bad, on weither it is that minimum or much much bigger.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 09:48:09 am »

Just build your fortress inside of the cavern. Problem solved. ;)

I might have done, but:  I am now home and have opened DF - even the many 1 tile narrow passages which spread out from the plateau where I breached are at least 7 z-levels tall.

Hang on.... ha ha, the joys of hotkeys - the fort is 13 years old now, and in the meantime, I completely forgot how deep it was...although I do remember designation hell on the way down:

From embark point to flat ground: 12 z-levels
Ground level to top of 1st cavern: 76 z-levels
Top of 1st cavern to plateau cavern breach: 48 z-levels
Plateau to bottom 1st cavern (water): 21 z-levels.

So yeah, that is why I have yet to build a pump stack to bring lots of water up to ground level - it would need to span more than 150 z-levels.

Its a cool cavern sure, but securing it against flying FBs would be very tricky indeed - hmmm, actually, thinking about it, I guess I would just need to construct a massive scaffhold of up/down staircases in all the tall passages, and then wall and floor it all off.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.