Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baby Immigrant without Parents  (Read 1121 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baby Immigrant without Parents
« on: October 28, 2010, 03:15:10 am »

I just had a baby without any parents or siblings arrive on my map as an immigrant. It wasn't alone - there were a bunch of other immigrants again - but it's just crawling around on its own, towards my meeting zone. The fortress is in year 13 now, so I doubt that I could find anything about this parentless baby in the legends mode.

Anyone else ever had that happen?

His name is Zuntir Ensebuzol, he is one month old, his sideburns are clean-shaven and his medium-length mustache is neatly combed. His very long beard is braided. His hair is clean-shaven.

He worships the same god as about 1/3 of my fortress, so he isn't really here to start a new cult or something.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:18:56 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Immigrant without Parents
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:08:42 am »

This child, this orphan... He is special. Lone child, born of no parents, son of Armok, Bringer of Destiny. Arriving on the year marked 13, You must return this child to Armok, before it is too late. He must be treated to the finest food, drink and regalia, before being given back to the Father of All, lest he become angry with the selfishness and vanity of your Dwarfs, who think that they are worthy of giving the Child an upbringing.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:21:33 am by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:22:07 am »

I just checked what sort of god it is that he is worshipping.

Otung is a deity of The Sandaled Crafts. Otung most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with nightmares.

Nightmares! Hmmmm...

Okay, if he survives the next 11 months without throwing himself down into a well or something, we'll see what we can do with this Nerevarine.

He just arrived at the meeting zone and seems content to chill there. But maybe he'll get thirsty or hungry in a while and be too insane to do it and end up in the well or crushed by one of the rose gold barrels.

... looking good so far.

He's got to be the only 2 month old baby who crawls into the dining room to eat and into the bed to sleep. I haven't seen him drink anything yet though. The sight of him lifting one of my metal barrels would be amazing.

Dwarf Therapist refuses to acknowledge that he exists, by the way.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:45:19 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:55:39 am »

All the more proof of his divinity.
*Hugs*

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 05:01:31 am »

Hope he lives, the one time I can recall having an orphaned baby (usually they die with their parent, for me) the poor tyke died of thirst because no one would give it a drink of water.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 05:12:11 am »

He doesn't seem to get thirsty, just sleepy and hungry. At least, he hasn't attempted to drink yet, even though he is already 5 months old.

He has been ecstatic lately. He slept without a proper room recently. He has been accosted by terrible vermin lately (he hates flies). He admired a completely sublime statue recently. He ate a legendary meal lately. He dined in a legendary dining room recently. He talked with a friend lately.

His only friend so far is an immigrant doctor. The rest of the fortress is a bit busy because I dug out some more living rooms recently and they need to be cleared of rocks.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 05:18:11 am »

Now I just have an odd mental image of a baby chatting to a doctor.
*Hugs*

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:28:32 am »

Urist McBaby:  GAGA GOO GOO!
Urist McDoctor [stroking his beard thoughtfully]:  Hmm, yes, I see your point.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:35:47 am »

Yeah well, normally, dwarven babies get unhappy during their first year of life. Being used as a body shield by their mothers means that they can't eat in legendary dining rooms, make friends, talk with these, or sleep without proper rooms. They are essentially dwarves in solitary confinement.

One year of solitary at the start of life - no wonder that dwarves are all mentally deranged alcoholics after that.

I could give him a proper sleeping room, by the way, but we've got a strict policy here that only the starting 7 and married couples get one. Also, he is so awfully slow that he might starve on the way between meeting zone and his room.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 07:41:55 am »

Baby migrants happened rather frequently in version 0.31.13, along with migrant "war peasants", "hunting peasants", and "drunks", but this has since been fixed. What version are you running?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 07:58:45 am »

Ah, so this is why. I like the bugs of 31.13 quite a lot and this is why I am still using this version. :)

He has grown into childhood without dehydration, by the way.

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:59:39 am »

Ah, so this is why. I like the bugs of 31.13 quite a lot and this is why I am still using this version. :)

Make him a soldier when he matures. Let him serve as a warrior for 3-4 years)

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 09:52:19 am »

You did name him Urist McOliver, right?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 10:45:54 am »

This child is amazing.  He is truly Armok's son.  Are you sure Dwarf Therapist ignores him though?  Check now...  you won't be able to assign him labors, but he's got to be there.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 05:21:19 pm »

Have him master every skill in the game. Including weapon skills.

He will be the coolest dwarf to ever have lived. And think of the stories he'll be able to tell his grandkids...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:23:10 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: [1] 2