Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which race would you make playable first in Fortress mode?

Elves
- 22 (11.8%)
Humans
- 56 (29.9%)
Goblins
- 109 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Choose one race to make playable for Fortress mode.  (Read 7717 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose one race to make playable for Fortress mode.
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 12:23:30 am »

Besides saying "Hey, you can mod them to be controllable" like the guy above me said, I'd have to vote for gobbos.

Because Humans sent me on one too many suicide missions in Adventure Mode, and elves seem to not be the most intelligent creatures on the surfaces of DF's worlds. I mean, come ON. They show up, yell at you to stop cutting down trees in possibly the most rude fashion, then try to back up their rudeness with rope reed cloth and wooden armor.

At least the goblins have the courtesy to say "Y'know what, we hate your guts. And we're going to at least put some effort into getting rid of said guts."
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Raziel_Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 12:25:30 am »

Goblins

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 01:14:22 am »

At first I was all for elves.. as Toady One said a couple Dwarf Taks back... Multi-tile trees!  But beyond growing arrows and armour, and having an army of trained giant-eagles... I can't really think of any Fun to be had with them...

So I say goblins!  I find df is too easy once you reach a certain level of development, but with goblins you'd have all sorts of extra hurdles, epidemics, infighting... fluctuations in your population that you have to work around (I'm sure there's some overwhelming drive telling gobbos to send 80 soldiers to their deaths every year, and I bet they'd give you more than enough incentive to send them if that need wasn't being met)... And slave pens!! Just think of the miasma-filled dens below your ramshackle fortress in which dwarf craftsworkers toil to produce the iron armour that you will equip your military with, human farmers eke out a meagre harvest of kobold bulbs and rat weed in the muck, and elves are butchered like kittens to supplement the diet of your strongest soldiers!

Maybe in goblin society a Noble's (Warlord's?) mandate would be something like "Send X soldiers to attack a fort" or "Steal X value of goods" if that need isn't met, no tantrums, well yes tantrums, but then they take some of your soldiers and intra-tribe conflict!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 10:11:57 am »

I voted for elves.

I honestly don't understand this. Elves in DF are probably more militant than dwarves are.

Seems like a lot of DF players/forum members prefer total nonsense community cliches than actually thinking about anything.

I was being facetious.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 02:41:03 pm »

Goblins. Even though I'd miss the focus on drink and industry... cruelty and kidnapping should work. I think elves are just not as suited to the bloody absurdity of the game.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »

Goblins once sending out armies and people gets implimented, along with army location traking gets implimented, I mean imagine sending out a horde of goblins to burn their way towards the human capital, followed by a wave of snatchers and thieves to steal the orphans and loot the rubble your army leaves behind.
Nom nom nom

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 03:00:17 pm »

Yeah, the elf-hate is getting pretty stale, and patently reactionate anyway. So you hate elves because you have to hate elves to be dwarfy, got it.

That said, they wouldn't be as fun in fortress mode, even with the cleverest bamboo technology. Using magic would suit them, but wouldn't suit fortress mode. They are funnest in adventurer mode, but maybe they should remain NPC in fortress mode.

It depends on how their culture is expanded. I like the idea that came out in a topic sometime ago, that elves have a "kosher" way of cutting and working wood. Maybe even some form of feng shui may come out. If those aspects are expanded, they can become good backbones for a more social/city planner form of Dwarf Mode. And since they are so connected with teir territory, maybe we can even influence it, turning normal areas into good/evil (or whatever is coming, I heard that it's going to change), depending on how we develop the town.

I'd really like all that stuff.

Of course, if "Elf Mode" is seen just as a Dwarf Mode without dwarves, stone and miners, I can see how it'll become boring quickly.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:02:41 pm by Lord Vetinari »

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 05:26:27 pm »

I would love to see a goblin fort.  Do goblins reproduce a lot faster than dwarves/ other civs? How would they maintain their population otherwise?

Actually, goblins don't seem to reproduce at all, because they don't die. That's right: goblins are immortal, but still succomb to accidents, murder and violence.

The kidnapping of dwarven children and the eagerness to adopt demons is because they're endangered due to violent attrition. In my current world, there's so few of them because the major world powers are a Hydra and a Titan, and there's less than 20 total.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 05:52:49 pm »

I don't care that it's not on the list:  Plump Helmet Men.

You start in the caverns.  You have to fight off seasonal sieges and ambushes from hungry dwarfs who will breach your cavern within the first few years of your settlement.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 06:02:25 pm »

I figure, even if you hate 'em. Elves, cause the way I see it, look how we treat the Dwarfs we "care" about, how're we gonna treat Elves under our "Care"?
*Hugs*

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 06:03:24 pm »

I figure, even if you hate 'em. Elves, cause the way I see it, look how we treat the Dwarfs we "care" about, how're we gonna treat Elves under our "Care"?
The same way we treat nobles?
Nom nom nom

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:27 pm »

Hehe. I make no distinctions between nobles and commoners, Just check out my starting ritual to see that ;)
*Hugs*

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 06:42:47 pm »

I think elves might be kind of fun. It would be a completely different way of building your "fortress" when you can't chop down trees.
Thing is, you'd still have a wood industry. In fact, most of your industry would be wood. Elves are fine with cutting down trees, as long as you're an elf. Seriously, where do they get all their wooden trade goods if not from trees? Whether they cut them down or use elven magicky hoo-ha to entice wood from their branches or something, you wouldn't be denied wood.
What you would be denied, though, is stone and metal, which would be most interesting.
In spite of this, I vote gobbos. Evil is fun.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 07:28:19 pm »

Heh. Lucky you. The best I ever got was a grizzly...  >:(

They gave you one-half of an infinite bear factory and you complain?

Yes, but a half of a factory isn't gonna work. There was no second grizzly to complete the pair. The next couple of caravans were all cloth and the occasional useless animal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6