Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Who likes Booze ?  (Read 8094 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Who likes Booze ?
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2010, 11:05:16 pm »

I've run out of Carlo Rossi. Time to get another two month's supply in a single massive 4 liter jug.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2010, 05:48:05 am »

In my opinion, alcohol mostly sells itself. Any booze that needs to run national TV ads, is fundamentally spending money in the wrong place, they should be spending the money on good quality ingrediants and processes rather than advertising. I'm only talking about my UK experience here, but almost all TV advertised booze is usually bad quality rubbish. There are exceptions of course, but probably not many. Of course wine is different, because you cannot change the quality apart from moving your vineyards to a different location. But all of the well known national brands tend to be pretty bland boring wines.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2010, 06:18:46 am »

In my opinion, alcohol mostly sells itself. Any booze that needs to run national TV ads, is fundamentally spending money in the wrong place, they should be spending the money on good quality ingrediants and processes rather than advertising. I'm only talking about my UK experience here, but almost all TV advertised booze is usually bad quality rubbish. There are exceptions of course, but probably not many. Of course wine is different, because you cannot change the quality apart from moving your vineyards to a different location. But all of the well known national brands tend to be pretty bland boring wines.

I think a lot of the advertising has to do with building brand loyalty amongst drinking newbies. Back in the day when I was first trying out drinks, my first spiced rum was Captain Morgan because I had seen it on TV. The liquor stores' selections were poor, and I thought it was "the good stuff". While I ended up broadening my horizons, I know more than a few people who haven't been inclined to try anything outside of the highly advertised stuff that they first started on; generally due to brand loyalty and the unfortunate assumption that if they're popular enough for TV spots, then they must be quality.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2010, 07:19:45 am »

You are absolutely right, and unfortunately there are some people who never start thinking beyond the major brands.

In my pub, (if it all goes through) I shall try to have as few major brands as possible.

Vodka shall be Russian Standard. White rum shall be cheap rubbish, as it all tastes terrible anyhow. Blonde rum shall be Mount Gay or Havana 7, as they are both pretty nice and affordable. I won't stock cheap whiskey. Gin will be Gordons or Plymouth Gin. Those are the standards. The better spirits might be some good Scotchs such as Lagavulian, Auchentoch, Etc. A few Italian liquers for the girlie drinkers, some genuine Absinth from Praque. I don't know much about brandy, so some !!science!! might be involved. I will include JD and Cointreau for mixing. A few decent imported vodka's and some quality gins also. And some lovely carabbean rums will be involved somewhere along the line. I'm quite looking forward to it. Fingers crossed.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2010, 07:43:57 am »

White rum shall be cheap rubbish

you couldn't possibly be more wrong.Try a glass of "trois rivières", a French brand. Delicious stuff. Nothing like the baccardi rubbish, those have given rum a bad name.
A few Italian liquors for the girlie drinkers
Are you putting grappa among the girly drink? :o 
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2010, 07:46:52 am »

I don't know Grappa. If it is an aniseed drink, then I would probably choose Ricard above it. I shall seek out the rum that you mentioned. I am always open to recommendations and suggestions.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2010, 07:52:44 am »

Grappa is an alcohol topical of the north of Italy, made from grape. It's similar to rakia, or raky if you know easter alcohol.
It's quite strong. Delicious too, because it's a dry, white alcohol with tastes of grape (faint or strong, depending of the brand.)
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2010, 06:42:55 pm »

I had a bottle of Red Seal Ale yesterday, which was great. Not much to say about it; it's a pale ale with a strong flavor.

I also had a bottle of newcastle yesterday, which was decidedly mediocre; it tasted like miller high life or somesuch, only it cost three times as much.

Just had a bottle of Spaten Optimator; great flavor and it hit my head like a brick.

Whenever I buy beer, I make a point of getting a bottle or two of something I like, and four bottles of shit I've never had. It's worked out pretty good so far.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:48:55 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:29 am »

Totally making mushroom wine come Winter Break when my jug is freed up. No I'm not telling you how, but the two recipes from which I'm extrapolating are found easily via Google.
Be careful... you might start attracting bears or gnomes to your home.

Just had a bottle of Spaten Optimator; great flavor and it hit my head like a brick.
My folks are beer snobs, and they tend to keep Spaten Optimator in their stockpiles. Never tried it, but if it's good enough for a discerning alcoholic, I'd wager it's pretty good.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2010, 07:24:08 am »

I'm quite partial to Gosling's Black Seal Rum. Had a buddy in my dorm in college who was from Bermuda who introduced me to the stuff. It's much darker than the usual range of rums, with a nice touch of molasses to the flavor. The Bermudian way is to mix it with ginger beer, but I found that mixing 1 part Gosling's, 2 parts irish cream and 3 parts milk actually made a fantastic drink. Since it was similar to a White Russian, I took to calling it a White Mongol. They were very popular amongst my friends, especially the ones who didn't drink a lot, since the sweetness of the black rum and the richness of the irish cream and milk masked most of the alcohol, yet the drink still probably topped out around 40 proof.

I had a bottle of Old Rasputin last week. It smelled like rubbing alcohol, and tasted a whole lot like Guinness spiked with vodka, only sweeter and harsher. I'd probably drink it with preference to Guinness, considering it hits like a brick. I prefer Black Toad, though, which also happens to be the only dark beer that doesn't make me feel the least bit ill from drinking it.

Also tried La Maudite, a refermented beer from some Canadian brewery that had a very dark color but tasted like a pale lager, albeit a good one, without a hint of hops. It was alright, if not to my tastes, but sure as hell not worth the $3 the bottle cost.

I like Old Rasputin, although it's kind of the Yuengling of Imperial Russian Stouts -- decent, cheap (comparatively) and readily available, but nothing to write home about. Now if you want an Imperial Stout that will ready grab your tongue and demand attention, there are three that come to mind:

The Czar (Avery Brewing, Boulder, CO) - BEST IRS EVER. I cellared mine for six months before drinking it, and it was like someone had mixed up cherry cordial and Black Forest cake and port and then distilled all those flavors into a velvety smooth reddish-black elixir. Mad love for this beer. It's also around 11% ABV and only sold in 750ml bottles, so it's a session beer -- the kind you have one of, and you take slowly.

Storm King (Victory Brewing, Dowingtown, PA)
Oak Aged Yeti (Great Divide Brewing, Denver, CO)

The latter two are technically Imperial Stouts as opposed to Imperial Russian Stouts, so they're just a percent or two weaker but still extremely full-bodied and complex in flavor (and look and pour like 10W40 motor oil).

As for La Maudite, the brewery in question is Unibroue, one of the best Belgian-style breweries in North America. We're lucky to have a several great micro-breweries in this area--Duck-Rabbit, Mash House, Big Boss, Natty Greene's and others.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:46:18 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2010, 11:01:13 pm »

The chardonnay I am drinking right now is not very good but it appears to be rather high proof as a bottle has made me half inebriated (to the point where I am relying on firefox spellcheck).

I am not sure what type it is, just felt compelled to post in this thread. Also, you guys have convinced me I have to try this "mad dog" stuff, I will be looking for it on my next trip to the state booze store drive through.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2010, 11:34:02 pm »

Right now drinking cheap ass vodka. Tastes like shit, but $10 for a handle of 80 proof isn't all that bad considering I only have $4 dollars to my name right now.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2010, 01:43:28 am »

The chardonnay I am drinking right now is not very good but it appears to be rather high proof as a bottle has made me half inebriated (to the point where I am relying on firefox spellcheck).
A bottle of wine got you half drunk? Was it a small bottle, or do you just have a crazy alcohol tolerance?

Right now drinking cheap ass vodka. Tastes like shit, but $10 for a handle of 80 proof isn't all that bad considering I only have $4 dollars to my name right now.
Just about everyone I know drinks Burnett's vodka, which is generally $13 for a half-gallon bottle.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2010, 03:08:51 am »

Vodka out of a plastic bottle is just a crime against neutral grain spirits. I had some blue label Dark Eyes earlier and found it very tasty right out of the freezer. Cheaper than that and it tastes like utter crap.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10